Quick Review of What I'm Doing

Hi guys (and Jim)

I’m annoyed at how long this post got. All I’m looking for is some validation I’m “doing this right”. Or something. Maybe some recommendations or things I can tweak.

I’m 40 years old, 6’ 4" 270 pounds, played rugby for 22 years, some of it at a high level. I’ve done 26 cycles of 5/3/1 over the last 3+ years. Lots of BBB, FSL, and at one point I even did 5/3/1 as programmed and then I did GVT 10x10 (instead of BBB) for a few cycles (experimenting). I progressed pretty steadily on these programs with deloads every 4th week for about 18 months. Then, the joints were getting sore and I actually did get tired of lifting heavy, so I took a 6 month deload during one of my rugby seasons where I did lots of power work, high volume, lower weights, and mobility. And of course my top end strength diminished during that time.

When I restarted 5/3/1 it was right after reading the 2nd edition, so I lowered my training maxes and moved to the 3 week cycles only occasionally doing deloads. I train 4 days a week, each day focusing on a main lift. During rugby season I really have to fuck with my schedule because I get beat up at training and games, but I do it. I cut back in some cases to JUST 5/3/1 progression on my main lift and get out during this time, none of this is a problem, just setting the stage.

Right now I’m pre-season, so there’s no schedule constraints. Here’s what I’m doing and I’m just looking for opinions.

MY SCHEDULE

Before EVERY session (light or heavy) I do my own stretching/mobility involving a few aspects of Agile 8 but not all. I don’t spent 15 minutes warming up, it’s closer to 3 minutes and then I warm up specific to each lift (i.e. each 5/3/1 block starts with the bar, so there’s up to 5 - 6 warm ups before I hit the working sets).

Sunday morning - “Recovery Day” - tuck jumps, skip rope, front/zercher squats, RDLs, drills involving power clean movement, and then I like to hit my traps, so snatch grip high pulls, clean pulls, and things like angle press and lily shrugs. Farmers walks when I have time.

Sunday night - 2 hours high heart rate pre-season rugby drills and conditioning, in a gymnasium, which beats the fuck out of my knees.

Monday - OFF - stretching, walking, and that’s IT

Tues AM - Press 5/3/1, up to 3 set Joker, 1 set FSL Rest Pause, 10 sets chins in between those, 3 - 5 seats each of dips, biceps, traps/rear delt work

Wednesday AM - Squat 5/3/1, up to 3 set Joker, 1 set FSL Rest Pause, 10 sets ab roller or hanging leg raises between those, Power Clean progression using 5/3/1, Lily Shrugs x 5 sets

Thursday AM - same as Sunday morning

Friday AM - Bench 5/3/1, up to 3 set Joker, 1 set FSL Rest Pause, 10 sets chins in between those, 3 - 5 seats each of dips, biceps, some kind of shrug

Saturday AM - Deadlift 5/3/1, up to 3 set Joker, 1 set FSL Rest Pause, 10 sets ab roller or hanging leg raises between those, Power Clean progression using 5/3/1 (same as Wednesday, yes I’m doing it twice a week), some kind of big ugly shrugs x 5 sets

Current TMs: OHP 225, Dead 530, Bench 325, Squat 460

I strongly suspect I’ll be changing things up once I read 5/3/1 Forever. I’m not on the private forums so I’m just getting exposed to the newer terminology, leaders, anchors, PRO, etc.

Thoughts?