Quick Queston: Pin Pulls

Hello all,

Been working with the standard westside template for a few weeks.

My current ME squat movement is deadlifts off the pins.

Unfortunately, the lowest pin setting in the racks at my gym is just above the kneecap. Reading up on the literature, most everything states for the pulls to start below the knee.

Can I get away with pin pulls above the knee until I find a work-around?

In addition, my grip tends to fail long before my pulling power, despite the use of chalk. Are straps advisable for one or two sets?

Thanks,
-sergeant

Straps are fine for a few of your heavy sets. Just add some grip work so you can eventually not rely on straps on anything but your heaviest pulls.

For the pin pulls, above the knee is fine for a while. To pull from below the knees, try standing on some plates, or even an aerobic stepper, or whatever your gym may have.

good advice!
If you don’t want to use straps you could use a staggered grip.

Just stand on a couple plates. Voila, it’s below your knee!

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
Just stand on a couple plates. Voila, it’s below your knee![/quote]

ditto. this question seems to come up repeatedly and im not sure whay folks don’t make the connection that you can simply elevate yourself if the pins are too high

Thanks for the info.

Robo: I had thought of standing on plates; however, the ones we have at this gym are the rubber-coated “safety” plates and have a lot of texture that doesn’t allow them to lie flat; this creates a balance problem, as I found out the other day when the plate slipped as I was pulling a heavy single with bad results.

I’m considering building boxes or purchasing some mats to stand on.

[quote]Sergeant_81 wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Robo: I had thought of standing on plates; however, the ones we have at this gym are the rubber-coated “safety” plates and have a lot of texture that doesn’t allow them to lie flat; this creates a balance problem, as I found out the other day when the plate slipped as I was pulling a heavy single with bad results.

I’m considering building boxes or purchasing some mats to stand on.[/quote]

This is one of the advantages of training in a gym with boxes and boards and shit laying all over the place.

[quote]Sergeant_81 wrote:
Thanks for the info.

I’m considering building boxes or purchasing some mats to stand on.[/quote]

That sucks. I know exactly what you’re talking about. Try to find something laying around if you can, an aerobic step or build a small portable box to bring in with you. Good luck man