Quick Question About Whey Timing

Hi,

First post. I have been decently hard for about 9 months now and I have made decent progress. I have recently gotten really into lifting and trying to tone up hard. I have been kinda lurking here for a bit and like the attitude on the forum so I made an account.

Anyways, stats are currently 5’7 175, started at 192ish. I eat pretty well, lots of small meals, most carbs coming from oatmeal, lentils, brown rice, and fruit. I have been doing a split type program which I kinda made up but I just swithed to Chad Waterbury’s TBT program today.

My question has to do with whey timing and workouts. I currently lift, then do 25-30 minutes of inclined walking on the tread mill for cardio, then I go home and take whey and water shake (about 22 grams whey). Would I see substantially better results if I took the shake to the gym and drank it right after workout? Perhaps half before or half after? It is pretty convenient to do it the way I do it now, so unless there is a compelling response, I guess Ill keep doing it the way I do it now.

sept 07

Nice job leaning out. You are looking more muscular too.

I don’t think whey timing makes that much of a difference. What you should do is get some Surge, or just a high GI carb like dextrose, waxy maize, or even just powerade and mix it with your protein.

The logic behind this can be found in the articles called Solving the Post Workout Puzzle by John Berardi.

I usually drink half a serving a Surge during my workout and half right after, but 15-20 minutes isn’t going to make that big of a difference.

I’m curious as to why you don’t take a shaker bottle the gym with you, as it doesn’t get any more convenient than that.

First off, good job leaning out and great job with the thorough introduction.

I’m with theuofh–personally, I have experimented with drinking the shake right after my workout or waiting till I get home to mix it and drink it, and I haven’t really found any difference between the two.

If you are trying to decide to take your shake before or after your post-workout cardio, I would say take it before the cardio if you’re trying to gain as much muscle as possible and after cardio if you’re trying to lose fat as fast as possible. It’s just a suggestion. You may want to try both and see how your body responds.

Add some sugar to your PWO shake.

All of theuofh’s advice is pretty sound, except for the whey timing, because it DOES make a difference, especially PWO.

Definitely bring your shake with you and drink it right after your weight training session. By doing 30 min of cardio then waiting until you get home before you drink it you practically miss the “PWO window of opportunity” (read “Solving the Post Workout Puzzle” for more on that).

Thanks very much for the replys and the article reccomendations.

Edit: Read the article, awesome info. This is a great site.

i’d toss back my PWO shake in the locker room before you hit the cardio area.

lift

shake

cardio

go home

eat

that’s a good way to break things up. works for me and probably others as well.

welcome and train hard man!!! good work so far!