Quick Question About LMM

This is sorta of a stupid question but i’m having a problem with mis-information. i’ve been reading Waterbury’s articles and he mentions doing 5-6 reps to build lean muscle mass but certain magazines (like men’s health, which I hear is not very reliable) say that one needs to do at least 8 reps to build LMM. My question is whether or not men’s health is wrong and doing 5 or 6 reps will build LMM and not the body of a powerlifter (not insulting powerlifters or anything like that)?
Thanks for your answers

their are many more variables to consider then just the number of reps. If you read some of Waterburys learn alot about why he likes low reps and why they are effective

the powerlifting comment is uninformed at best… the way you look will be more a factor of you diet then anything else

[quote]hg wrote:
This is sorta of a stupid question but i’m having a problem with mis-information. i’ve been reading Waterbury’s articles and he mentions doing 5-6 reps to build lean muscle mass but certain magazines (like men’s health, which I hear is not very reliable) say that one needs to do at least 8 reps to build LMM. My question is whether or not men’s health is wrong and doing 5 or 6 reps will build LMM and not the body of a powerlifter (not insulting powerlifters or anything like that)?
Thanks for your answers[/quote]

First of all: “(like men’s health, which I hear is not very reliable)” should answer your question. Men’s health is wrong. To a degree, any rep range (within reason) will build lean mass, including “5 or 6 reps.”

It seems that you “don’t want to get too bulky” and think that low reps will make you “balloon” into some mastadon. This is not the case. It is very difficult to get “bulky” as you view it.

Bottom line: stop reading men’s health and actually believe the T-Nation articles you read instead of second guessing them with folk knowledge you heard from men’s health.

my comment about powerlifters is not uninformed. they tend to be big. i’m very aware about how much diet effects your appearance. i’m not a newbie…just ignornant.

as to the second reply, i’m not worried about getting bulky…i am already. i just wanted to get cut and the rep range seemed small (my opinion which is most likely the product of bad information)

i hope i don’t sound like an a**hole to you, and thank you for your responses

[quote]hg wrote:
as to the second reply, i’m not worried about getting bulky…i am already. i just wanted to get cut and the rep range seemed small (my opinion which is most likely the product of bad information)

i hope i don’t sound like an a**hole to you, and thank you for your responses[/quote]

Your diet will get you cut far faster than any exercise will. Take care of that, and lift heavy. Muscle mass also burns calories.

[quote]hg wrote:
my comment about powerlifters is not uninformed. they tend to be big. i’m very aware about how much diet effects your appearance. i’m not a newbie…just ignornant.

i hope i don’t sound like an a**hole to you, and thank you for your responses[/quote]

So you thought lifting in a certain rep range is what made someone carry more fat than someone else?