Quick Question about Fish Oil

does anyone else feel rotten while taking fish oil? I have two bottles of Flameout and if I take just two a day for a couple days, I feel like garbage mentally. It’s odd, and I’ve tried it four separate occasions. I pretty much like to look at research, but ultimately end up testing supplements, diets, etc. on myself. I’ve looked into this and no I’m not schizo. (i hope).

I just didn’t know if anyone else ever had anything negative to say about fish oil. I used to take flax (back in the late 90’s) but of course the research supporting fish oil’s supperiority are overwhelming. Anybody try any other oils (borage, evening primrose,etc.) with good results? thanks, any personal experience would be appreciated (as I’m pretty familiar with what the basic research and google thinks about it)

I feel great when i take fish oil. Especially mentally i can say i feel sharper.

Flax oil/flax seeds are inferior since they require conversion from ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) to EPA/DHA and this conversion process is poor at best. That’s why straight fish oil is superior.

I use a liquid fish oil 5ml per day. It gives me 2mg of EPA and 1mg of DHA.

As to why you feel like garbage taking it that’s more complicated. How’s your cholesterol? for example people with low cholesterol will feel even worse when they take fish oil because it will lower it even more. It depends on the fatty acid makeup of your red blood cells but that’s even more complicated. If you are getting a good mixture of fats in your diet e.g. 1/3 polyunsaturated, 1/3 monounsatured, 1/3 saturated you shouldn’t have any problems.

The average omega 3:6 ratio is >1:20 but it should be more like 1:1. If you are getting way too many omega 3’s in your diet already and not enough omega 6 & 9’s then that would be a reason you’d be feeling bad taking it since you’d be skewing your ratio’s even more but this would be rare. The proper ratio of fats are a major contributing factor to altered cytokines which can wreck havoc in the body with inflammation.

[quote]27monkey27 wrote:
does anyone else feel rotten while taking fish oil? I have two bottles of Flameout and if I take just two a day for a couple days, I feel like garbage mentally. It’s odd, and I’ve tried it four separate occasions. I pretty much like to look at research, but ultimately end up testing supplements, diets, etc. on myself. I’ve looked into this and no I’m not schizo. (i hope).

I just didn’t know if anyone else ever had anything negative to say about fish oil. I used to take flax (back in the late 90’s) but of course the research supporting fish oil’s supperiority are overwhelming. Anybody try any other oils (borage, evening primrose,etc.) with good results? thanks, any personal experience would be appreciated (as I’m pretty familiar with what the basic research and google thinks about it) [/quote]
Not feel ‘bad’ - but there are suggestions it can lower libido. Try searching threads on here.

Never had a problem w/Fish Oil…I take 8-12 grams a day. I have also taken primrose & pumpkin seed oil…no problems.

Milled flax seed makes me sick and feel like garbage but never fish oil. Even on the V-Diet right now with 5 caps a day I feel great. One thing I noticed about fish oil since I’ve been taking it on and off for 6 years I’d say is I can notice the benefits go away when I stop taking them. But two weeks on them again everything from dandruff to knee pain goes away!

thanks for the replies, guys. You’re correcxt, It may be a ratio thing—I’m pretty low carb and eat lots of almonds and brazil nuts. Could be throwing the balance off. Anyone ever hear about too much fish oil making cell membranes hyperpermeable.

Sounds kinda “alternative” medicine-like (and not in a good way). I can’t really find research supporting this, which probably should tell me something. However, fish oil does have some crazy benefits and I really haven’t been able to grasp the mechanism of action for all of them–so I guess it’s not out of the question that it just, clinically speaking, makes some people feel “shitty”.

Whatever, thanks for the help. Anyone ever use a blood fatty acid analysis test?