T Nation

Quick Oatmeal Question

Hey guys, ran outa cash and old fashion oats, but my brother brought home a ton of “Instant Oatmeal” instead. Usually, I have one cup dry, cooked, of old fashioned oats in the morning, will 3 packets of the Regular flavor, 0g of sugar, cause an unwanted insulin spike in the morning (not sure because I know it has been refined, but the ingredients I see no corn starch, ect, and it’s still 100% Whole Grain oats, then a list of vitamins and stuff refined to it). But anyways, does the regular flavor with no sugar in it spike insulin level still?

no, nothing to worry about

[quote]friedrice683 wrote:
Hey guys, ran outa cash and old fashion oats, but my brother brought home a ton of “Instant Oatmeal” instead. Usually, I have one cup dry, cooked, of old fashioned oats in the morning, will 3 packets of the Regular flavor, 0g of sugar, cause an unwanted insulin spike in the morning (not sure because I know it has been refined, but the ingredients I see no corn starch, ect, and it’s still 100% Whole Grain oats, then a list of vitamins and stuff refined to it). But anyways, does the regular flavor with no sugar in it spike insulin level still? [/quote]

holy shit dude, you are way overthinking this. you are the thin guy right. you dont need to look at the ingredients of oatmeal, you need to eat it. and you need to eat a protein source with every meal

[quote]elliot007 wrote:
holy shit dude, you are way overthinking this. you are the thin guy right. you dont need to look at the ingredients of oatmeal, you need to eat it. and you need to eat a protein source with every meal
[/quote]

Agreed. Cook a bunch of oatmeal with milk, then add Metabolic Drive. Strawberry and bannana flavor are the best.

yes you will die from an insulin comma, never ever eat instant oatmeal, only steel cut.

FYI the total carb amount per meal is more important

[quote]friedrice683 wrote:
0g of sugar[/quote]

thats the answer to your question.

[quote]ftothe3 wrote:
friedrice683 wrote:
0g of sugar

thats the answer to your question.[/quote]

Actually that means dick as far as insulin response goes. Just because its no sugar doesnt mean it wont cause a huge insulin flux. Look at maltodextrin it has 0g sugars and causes a larger response then pure dextrose, how about white potatoes, corn starch etc. They are starches so not called sugar but cause a hell of a reaction.

As far as the OP’s question sure it will be a little more than the regular oats the real thing you are missing is the micronutrients that are leeched out during the processing.

Eat the oats and how the hell are you to poor for regular oats they are like $2 a metric Ton.

Seriously, if you can’t afford oats, then what food can you afford? Go to the local food bank, I’m sure you’ll find regular oats there.

[quote]tpa wrote:

how the hell are you to poor for regular oats they are like $2 a metric Ton.

Seriously, if you can’t afford oats, then what food can you afford? Go to the local food bank, I’m sure you’ll find regular oats there.[/quote]

Yeah I don’t understand this either? Instant Oats are about 4,000 times the cost per ounce than the old fashioned kind in a bucket.

Guys, he said HE ran out of cash and his BROTHER brought home a ton of the instant oats. But the rest of the comments were hilarious!!!