Quick Muscle Gains

Hey all

Off on holiday in July and looking to make some serious muscle gain.

I am a Trainer and I have got my own programme sorted with the weights steadily increasing with every week. So thats not so much of a problem. Although I am only recently qualified so still looking to pick up expereince where ever possible.

What I am asking is there anyone out there who could give me some exercises that will lead to an fast increase in muscle size?

At the moment all my training is done at college, where the facilities to be honest are not great. Dumbbells and Cable machines.

Exercises I am doing are below:

Chest - Dumbbell Press
- Incline Dumbbell Press
- Flyes
- Cable Flyes

Back - Wide Grip Pull Ups
- Lat Pull Downs
- Single Arm Row
- Bent Over Row

Shoulders - Arnold Press
- Lateral Raises (cable)
- Bent Over Flyes
- Shrugs

Arms - Dumbbell Curls
- Hammer Curls (cable)
- Dumbbell Preacher Curls
- Tricep Pull Downs
- Tricep Dips

Legs - Leg Extensions
- Leg Press
- Plyometric Jumps
- Calf Raises

Any suggestions of exercises I could put in? Or even stuff I should replace or take out?

Cheers guys

Be more specific, you don’t do that all on one do you? What are your rep ranges and set scheme. No squats and deaflits? I’d say those are a definate especially for someone who wants fast muscle gain. Also you have one more curl then you do tricep exercise, not too big a deal but triceps make up 60% of your arm I believe.

I’d say more leg work is needed as well, training legs also helps with the beach muscle imo.

Lastly, unless I am mistaken, a tricep PULLdown does not exist, your triceps do not pull, they push. That makes is a PUSHdown.

What are your stats now?

As mentioned, the leg routine looks a bit rough. why no squats?
no barbells? seeing as how you said the gym sucks…
and just like the guy you’re training, nutrition will be the biggest factor for you

[quote]premium.fitness wrote:
Hey all

Off on holiday in July and looking to make some serious muscle gain.

I am a Trainer and I have got my own programme sorted with the weights steadily increasing with every week. So thats not so much of a problem. Although I am only recently qualified so still looking to pick up expereince where ever possible.

What I am asking is there anyone out there who could give me some exercises that will lead to an fast increase in muscle size?

At the moment all my training is done at college, where the facilities to be honest are not great. Dumbbells and Cable machines.
[/quote]
I assume you are on top of your sets, reps, split, frequency, intensity, volume and food glorious fodder etc… i will just give big bulking exercise suggestions…

Add more presses, less flyes… so if you do 12 sets for chest, do 3 sets of flyes… 16 sets? 4. A quarter as isolation for the Chesticle Majoralis muscle…

If you are lacking general bulk and thickness to the torso do your rowing first in the workout. For the thickness i would love to suggest Deadlifts and Rackpulls. I mean it, they have given me a very thick back. Add DB Rows and that’d be your back thickness sorted… you have to change your gym you train in. That one is so bad you dont even deserve to read this site!!
For width, keep the chins/pullups, add a narrow grip for the bulk of the lat too…

If you want raw mass on your delts use at least 2 pressing movements and preferably do 3 and add Armpit Rows, they will get your side delts and traps at once.(ask if you are not sure)
Lose the arnold press… go for DB push press, DB military, seated DB press, muscle DB clean and press, 1 arm DB press.

Biceps: DB Curl, Hammer DB, Preacher DB, Scott DB, concentration curls at the end, cross body hammer curls.
Triceps: Dips, Weighted Dips, Close DB Press,2 arm DB French presses, Flat, Inc and Dec db skullcrushers, DB French press, 1 arm French press. Burns with close grip pushups.

Squats. DB Squats if they are heavy nough, i suspect not so ill leave it as that suggestion only. You need hammie work, glute ham raises, leg curls, DB RDL, 1 Leg RDL, 1 Leg Squats, DB Deads, 1 leg Deads, plyometric lunges (these are great),

[quote]
Any suggestions of exercises I could put in? Or even stuff I should replace or take out?

Cheers guys[/quote]

Thats it i think…

Joe

I don’t know if you’re a newbie, so this is just a shot in the dark.

Clean and press
Dead lift
Squat
Bench Press
Pull ups

You do each one of these exercises, three times a week (varying the set and rep schemes for each exercise so as to not kill yourself) and you will see very good results. I won’t lie, this isn’t an easy routine.

Most important: eat! If you don’t put it in, you won’t put it on.

what is wrong with everyone…?
no barbells! no smith! no nothing! shit gym. just dumbells and cables.

everyone of you missed that lol!

J

If there are no barbells I’d add lunges step ups Bulgarian squats etc. to the leg workout.

[/quote]

To be honest, to gain any “serious” size, the kind that leaves no doubt that you work out, dumbbells and cables only is going to make that all but impossible.

It’s going to be tough to look like a bodybuilder (this IS the BB forum afterall) with such limited means.

You’ll be able to look pretty good if you use your imagination but it sounds as if you want to add some real MASS.

concur.

Get a new gym to train in! Those fitness suites are good for one thing and one thing only.

FUCK ALL!!!

hehe!

If you stick with a set of key exercises (for different bodyparts) and work on increasing poundage over time (or repetitions at the same poundage). Try a slight volume overload (a couple of extra sets) on a day you can’t progress but try to raise load (or get extra reps the next session). If you stall on a particular exercise either replace it, or deload for a week and try again. consistently increasing poundage over time with increase in scale weight usually results in LBM gains that don;t dry up easily with a little time off training. You may gain slowly or quickly, but the thing is your gains will be consistent (s long as the overload persists)

On the other hand, a program to quickly add 10-15 pounds of LBM as fast as possible is not the same thing. Such programs do exist, of course and usually rely onswitching programs every 6 weeks or so, alternating set-rep schemes and/or unusually high volume for short periods of time.

I feel that beginners should just be concerned with weight on the bar (maintaining form for the most part) and not go all out with volume/periodization schemes and stuff till they are able to move some serious weight. Once youre able to recruit your motor units properly in a movement, increasing time under tension or increasing reps or volume will be more beneficial.
And there’s NO WAY your gym has dumbbells with any kind of worthwhile poundage but no barbells. AFAIK barbells are cheaper than DB setups and a gym will first invest in these.

Cool…looks like im switching gyms lol,

Got a bit of research to do an all…some of these exercises from Joe i’ve never heard of before lol.

Thanks guys, Help much apprecitated.

Just ask mate…?

wasn’t sure what you meant by Dumbbell French presses…but I know them as Skull Crushers.

Exercise’s are looking good. Cheers mate.

One other question…taking a supplement, gives me around 17g of protein per serving…and something around 62g of carbs.

How often do you think I should be taking this daily wise?

I know you know these if you saw them its just people word them different sometimes…

2 arm DB French presses - these are standing or seated, 2 arms overhead, with 2 dumbells held in a neutral grip and lowered as you know…

skullcrushers - these are the normal lying triceps extension, so laid supine on bench arms in front etc et… decline or incline available too.

DB French press - this is seated usually, with 2 arms holding 1 DB on the underside of the top plates and lowering behind head with just the elbow joint moving…

1 arm French press - this is the 1 arm variation where you only use 1 DB and lower it behind your head…

I may have called them different to you, sorry if i did. I am sure you know thse exercises already…

Do you know Armpit rows? alot of people struggle with that.

Joe

wasn’t sure what you meant by Dumbbell French presses…but I know them as Skull Crushers.

Exercise’s are looking good. Cheers mate.

One other question…taking a supplement, gives me around 17g of protein per serving…and something around 62g of carbs.

How often do you think I should be taking this daily wise?[/quote]

Often, are you looking for bulk to the exclusion of all and any reason? Or do you want to get lean and sexy for your holiday, if it is the latter, then use the shake you have maybe in the Morning, but after your workout definitely. Use a protein only shake the other times of the day.

The reason for this is the calories the carbs provide (Probably sugars - maybe maltodextrin, which isnt much different i believe) that are not needed other than those times of the day, you can use real food to fill up on carbs.

But if you want to put on size, then supplementing with carbs added to protein is a fantastic way to do it, along with all the bagels, Jams, Brown Rice and Pastas, Breads, Toast, potatoes etc… It is a question of goals. Also that supplement you mention what is it? I can see it is probably a cheap (expensive, cheap quality) weider mass gainer or something possibly, due to the low protein and carb amounts and the actual numbers… not 25g and 50g or 40g and 100g… 17 and 62, they whiff of budget quality to me. No offence to you at all… none intended at least, i have been ripped off for many years to see this shit!

So what is this supplement exactly? I am prepared to be wrong. How much sugar, fat and what protein is it and what carb source? Google the details if it doesnt tell you, but it really should…

And if you make it so a serving is actually 34g protein and 124g carbs, it would be a 1/2 decent weight gainer. Not great though. Maybe you need a new supplement source too…? :wink:

Having a tough week you aren’t you?! lol

J

Just out of curiosity, what trainer certification do you have?

Hey Joe

Are Armpit Rows similar to Upright Rows, except you do them single-arm with a dumbbell?

Dwarf: they are like upright rows but 2 arms, DBs held at the side and you upright row them into the armpits (you wont manage it but thats the movement)…

It is a great trap builder especially the delt trap tie… it has done WONDERS for my traps especially the clavicular/acromium end… I mean wonders, a real growth.

Add them in, go heavy and sloppy too!!

Joe

Thanks Joe! I will try them.
Historically, BB Upright Rows aggravate my shoulders, but I believe that was due to the fixed position of my hands/arms that a barbell would dictate. DBs free up that restriction.

It is likely (as bushy pointed out not so long ago - how are they working for you bushy, did you try them?) that it is due to the fact that during BB Upright Rows the arm is fixed in a medially rotated position.
This is the reason for so many people getting sore shoulders… the Armpit row really does elimnate that, an upright row with DB’s would not however.

Joe