T Nation

Quick Help with My Squat

Hey i am fairly new to squatting and i have been troubleshooting my form for the past 2 months and it is pretty much prefect now, but i still have a problem i can’t seem to get rid of.

For the first rep(theres no problem with the last 4 reps) i can’t seem to get my lumbar spine in the correct possition as i start the squat and move down. It feels wrong from the start till i am in about a half squat possition at which point i can feel it get in the right possition and staying there.

I have tried hyperextending my lumbar spine, but it dosn’t seem to help.
Don’t have a video of myself squatting, and honestly i don’t think you would be able to really see it since it only feels like i am a couple inches off, its still kind of a problem though, and i fear it getting worse once i start to squat 3 plates and more

a video would help

what you think you are doing and what you are actually doing are typically very very different.

Okay found a solution myself.
I didn’t open up my hips enough which would put me in an awkward possition, it also gave me a little knee pain.
Used a little wider stance today and everything is back to normal again

I have only been lifting for about 3 months and my form for squats is about perfect now. I would advise you to start doing box squats because they can improve your form and technique IMMENSELY.

When I started 3 months ago I could only squat 3 sets of 10 reps at 125lbs. My box squat was at 150lbs for 3 sets of 10, and let me tell you, box squatting improved my parallel squat drastically. Today, three months later, the circumference of my thighs have increased from 25’ to 29’, and the definition is astounding.

Now, I have read many posts that say your parallel squat should always be higher than your box squat, although that is far from the truth in my experiences. My squat has been increasing 15lbs a week for the past 3 weeks and my box squat has been increasing by 25lbs or more. Now I’m parallel squatting 250lbs and box squatting 475lbs.

Now, if that’s not encouraging enough to get you starting on box squats, then I would recommend squatting 1/2 of your maximum 1 rep weight for as many sets of 10 reps as you can do. Your main objective for this exercise is to focus on your form and technique. Make sure your feet are pointed straight in front of you and just about shoulder width apart.

(Box squats improve foot and leg technique/placement by forcing you to open up your legs and keep your feet wide, resulting with a strong/stable foundation, and allowing you to utilize all of the power in your legs for a strong lift and explosion.)

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO LIFT WITH AN EXPERIENCED SPOTTER SO THEY CAN TELL YOU HOW TO IMPROVE ON YOUR FORM AND TECHNIQUE, BUT MOST OF ALL TO STAY SAFE! SPOTTERS ARE LIFESAVERS… LITERALLY!