T Nation

Quick Grip Questions

Hi All. I will soon embark on a WS4SB routine and will be using grip strength exercises (which I have not used until now, so it is definitely time to add them!)

I just wanted to check exactly how to do the following:

-pinch grip
-thick bar holds
-wrist curls

I know they are not too complicated but there are a few things I don't get:

-for all the exercises should the arms be at your side (ie. bottom of shrug position), in front of you, or bent (ie. halfway point of a curl)

• if bent, should the palms face up (supporting DD/DB) or down (holding BB/DB from above)

-for wrist curls, should they be done with arms bent or straight, and how should the palms be facing up or down (working either upper or lower forearms respectively)

Cheers,
X

You can do them like any other exercises. You can very them from the side to the front supinated/ pronated. You can do high pulls or just dead lift style. Mix it up.

Patrick

Thanks for the info. I guess my primary question was: how would grip strength straining (WSB style) differ from "forearm building"? Is it the fact that it is static holds for time as opposed to a movement for reps?

The WS4SB grip training is just used as an example. I usually do static holds with my elbows straight, but sometimes I like to do the thick bar holds with my elbows bent, that really hits the forearms. I think you should mix wrist extension (pronated wrist curls), wrist flexion (supinated wrist curls) and static holds for best results.