T Nation

Quick Deadlift Advice

Tomorrow around noon I will be doing deads. I am feeling good, I am sure I could hit 500 at least, which is my previous best. But I want to start working with 500 and beyond from now on. If I go in and try to hit 500 I will be spent and may not be able to even do a second rep.

So my question is would my day be better spent hitting more reps around 475? I guess I am having trouble getting past this 500 point and since I’m feeling so good about tomorrow I want to take full advantage the workout. I don’t usually feel this good, I want to get all the bang I can get for my buck.

Maybe try one of those. I’ve been doing the “too weak for one’s cross sectional” And I’ve been putting on 5-10 pounds a week on my lifts. I’m no where near as advanced as you are, but just thought I’d chime in.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Tomorrow around noon I will be doing deads. I am feeling good, I am sure I could hit 500 at least, which is my previous best. But I want to start working with 500 and beyond from now on. If I go in and try to hit 500 I will be spent and may not be able to even do a second rep.

So my question is would my day be better spent hitting more reps around 475? I guess I am having trouble getting past this 500 point and since I’m feeling so good about tomorrow I want to take full advantage the workout. I don’t usually feel this good, I want to get all the bang I can get for my buck.
[/quote]

If you want to take a max DL for a ride, I would keep the warm-ups very light and make big jumps. For example:
135 x3
225 x2
315 x1
405 x1
500 x1

If you’re feeling good after that, then do a real workout after taking the 500.

500 lbs?

Not to be a dick, but did you reach 500 by just doing one single every workout. Probably not?

Or is this another hey look at me i can deadlift 500 lbs thread?

[quote]Pinto wrote:

If you want to take a max DL for a ride, I would keep the warm-ups very light and make big jumps. For example:
135 x3
225 x2
315 x1
405 x1
500 x1

If you’re feeling good after that, then do a real workout after taking the 500. [/quote]

totally agree. I maxed on deadlifts today and did it the same way, felt very energized. One thing I feel is that when I pull a heavy single close to my true max I’m completely spent and can’t lift any heavier, it must have something to do with the nervous system.

The way I tend to set a PR on the dead is to do something like this:

135 x15
Stretch like a bastard
225x10
Stretch like bastard
285x8
Stretch like a bastard
315x3
Rest and control the breathing

I realize you may say, “gee you must tire yourself out doing that” but I see my max go up constantly and it ensures no injury. I did that about a 2 months ago the same day I set a PR on squat right before at 325. So take it for what you will. BTW I was at 138 that day.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
One thing I feel is that when I pull a heavy single close to my true max I’m completely spent and can’t lift any heavier, it must have something to do with the nervous system.[/quote]

That’s the problem I’ve been having. I’ll do some rep work with say 405-455 and then maybe one single with 475 and that’s it, I’m TOAST! I haven’t been feeling any stronger lately, but after I pulled yesterday I realized that the lighter rep work is working. It’s just soooo slow now, but the 500 went up much easier than it did the first time I did it. Then I tried 510 and couldn’t lock it out.

[quote]dankid wrote:
500 lbs?

Not to be a dick, but did you reach 500 by just doing one single every workout. Probably not?

Or is this another hey look at me i can deadlift 500 lbs thread?[/quote]

What are you talking about?

[quote]Lucid_3ntr0py wrote:
The way I tend to set a PR on the dead is to do something like this:

135 x15
Stretch like a bastard
225x10
Stretch like bastard
285x8
Stretch like a bastard
315x3
Rest and control the breathing

I realize you may say, “gee you must tire yourself out doing that” but I see my max go up constantly and it ensures no injury. I did that about a 2 months ago the same day I set a PR on squat right before at 325. So take it for what you will. BTW I was at 138 that day.[/quote]

Yea, that’s pretty damn good for 138 BW. Unfortunately I am like a lot of the rest of these guys. I simply can’t spend my energy warming up too much or I’ll never hit that PR. I’ve tried. I even know of a couple good lifters on this site that are more my size that can lift the way you described. I don’t know what it is man, but I can’t do it. The nice thing I CAN do though is recover from a ME DL day very easily. I can DL 3X a week for awhile without overtraining.