T Nation

Quick Conventional DL Question

Just a quick Q - whilst doing the conventional powerlifting DL, im pulling from the floor everytime? Ie. 5 reps, im lifting from floor, pause, lower to the floor, reset & repeat?

That’s how I do them, but I’m not sure if it’s necessary to release all the tension on the bar. I prefer to, but I just consider it a preference.

I go pretty low on Romanian DL’s, so if I don’t put the bar down, conventionals feel a lot like Romanians.

Yeah, i knew the Romanian DL came from the hips down, not the floor up. (therefore only needs to hit the ground between sets)

i think beginners should lower to the floor, set up quickly again so the form is right and do it again

if you can have form fine without touching the floor then go ahead, thats good, probably better IMO

I’ve been told that the whole point of a deadlift is that the weight is “dead” (on the floor with all the tension in your muscles released) between reps.

Yep. Your right.

It might be beneficial uppon beginning to deadlift to actually let go of the bar and reset your grip and ensure proper form too.

[quote]44calibrelove wrote:
I’ve been told that the whole point of a deadlift is that the weight is “dead” (on the floor with all the tension in your muscles released) between reps.[/quote]

You would be correct.

I always reset my grip. Sometimes if I want to be fancy I swap my staggered hands between each rep.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
I always reset my grip. Sometimes if I want to be fancy I swap my staggered hands between each rep.[/quote]

If I am doing a set with even reps, I do half one way, half the other way. But, I am weird that way.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
njrusmc wrote:
I always reset my grip. Sometimes if I want to be fancy I swap my staggered hands between each rep.

If I am doing a set with even reps, I do half one way, half the other way. But, I am weird that way.[/quote]

I wouldn’t call that weird. I have to have the same color plates on both sides - no mixing of the silver and black. Must be in the same order, all uniform.

All the weight needs to be transfered back to the floor on every rep. there is no touch and go. if you need to, releas your grip and reset, but i think you should be alright as long as the bar is straight in front of you and over the feet. thats how i do them at least. romanian deadlift is another story

It depends on your goals.

I’d say for bodybuilding purposes, touch and go is absolutely fine.

If you’re strictly powerlifting, pulling each rep from a dead stop might be your best option.

There are rarely any absolutes, and as long as your form doesn’t go to shit, you can do them both ways to maximize progress.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
I always reset my grip. Sometimes if I want to be fancy I swap my staggered hands between each rep.[/quote]

Haha, I thought I was the only person that did that. To add, I always completely reset between reps. I treat a set of deads like 6 really quick singles, not a single set of 6.

Today I tried something different. I alternated grip between sets but with each drop I just extended all my fingers quickly the break the grip. This way I could keep the rhythm faster between reps and not have to dick around trying to get a good hand position. Agreed with Jeffe, I think of them as rapid singles but I still call it a set for simplicity. I like the shock effect of going from zero to maximum tension in a split second.