T Nation

Quick Carb Cycle Diet Qs

i read somewhere what days should not go back to back but i cant find it now - can someone please reiterate?
Also, for AM trainers, would it be better to have a high carb day, the day BEFORE your heavy lifitng day to maximise fuel or on the heavy lifting day to maximise recovery? Im guessing, if youre getting adequate protein on your low day, before is better…

Bump^^

[quote]sjfou wrote:
i read somewhere what days should not go back to back but i cant find it now - can someone please reiterate?
Also, for AM trainers, would it be better to have a high carb day, the day BEFORE your heavy lifitng day to maximise fuel or on the heavy lifting day to maximise recovery? Im guessing, if youre getting adequate protein on your low day, before is better…[/quote]

I’ve read numerous times, from different sources that low days should not go back to back. As with everything, you should try it out yourself to see how it suits you. The high day can be placed either day, it depends on how you react to it. Again, experiment. Theres no set in stone answer.

I think this would be completely dependent on your goals.

If I was seeking to lose weight, I am pretty sure you want to keep your high carb days as far apart as possible, to help with insulin sensitivity.

If I was seeking to gain weight, I think I would just be concerned with eating properly for that day. So, on a heavy training session day, I would eat high, no matter what. On an off day, I would eat low, no matter what. And if you are doing anything that falls between, I would eat moderate.

Id be interested in seeing if anyone agrees though, I am figuring this out currently too (for fat loss). Basically, I read everything I can find that has been written by Shelby Starnes.

As far as the eating for AM training, I would get proper pre, peri and post workout nutrition in, then eat high all day for recovery. I would not eat high the day before. For me, as long as I am eating clean, I can train hard either way, unless I am in a serious caloric deficit. But, if you are looking to gain, you should never been in a caloric deficit, so I dont think “loading” the day before an AM training session would help much, in fact, I think that defeats the point of carb cycling.

Again, I am not an expert by any means, just what I have concluded from reading a bunch.

Yeah, interesting points - Shelby is definately the man too.
im currently on:
Mon: Med
Tues: Low
Wed: high
Thurs: Low
Fri: High
Sat: Med
Sun: Med

Im in rehab for 5 damaged vertebrae, im trying to get my diet dialled before i start adding plates, im not cutting or bulking. As i get more mobile & my energy expenditure increases ill add or take high/low days depending on my goals

That looks pretty good to tell you the truth. just get the proper nutrients and your good to go! I hope your back gets better soon!

Cheers Dave1986