T Nation

Quick Cafeteria Meals

Trying to get pretty muscular going into school…realized I lost a lot of muscle when I lost a lot of weight from depression, sh*tty nutrition, whatever - 5’ 9" at 156lbs to 5’ 11" 125lbs.

Now I have read a crap load of articles on how to gain weight the right way, I’m not an ectomorph, and from the weight loss, my body is thriving to replace it with fat (FFB article), so after reading some articles on the nutrition, carb-cycling, ect, I was wondering on a few things.

I got cross country at 2:45 to 3:15 almost everyday, fridays and wednesdays off, I think. I am training balls to the freakin wall here, I want to get such in shape, everything, I’m going to be weight lifting every other day, and sometimes if I’m feelin “pumped” a supplemental lift on an “off” day. I want to be in incredible shape and have an incredible body. So here where I thought you guys could come in and just give me some pointers:

I’m gonna be doing Protein and Carb meals, and Protein fat meals. Since my training is basically from 3-5:30, I figure that I should split my meals as:

Protein / carb as breakfast
protein / fat at 10:30
protein / carb at lunch
protein / carb after workout
protein / fat at dinner
protein / fat before bed

Now major questions:
Recommendations on what protein / fat to eat at 10:30 so I don’t look like a complete tool? I was contemplating taking some hard boiled eggs at breakfast, choppin em up while I sipped my oatmeal, and throwin it in a tupperware cup then just wolfing it when no one was looking between classes.

After running - before lifting, 16oz gatorade ok? Then after lifting, banana, apple, and protein shake.

I can not really use a lot of protein, I need to make a 2lb serving last a month, so one scoop a day, so I am just stickin’ to after workout.

Also, how many carbs are allowed in a P/F meal, and how much fat is allowed in a C/P meal?

Just never really saw an answer in the articles saying how much is ok, thought you guys could help. Thanks a bunch

[quote]friedrice683 wrote:
Trying to get pretty muscular going into school…realized I lost a lot of muscle when I lost a lot of weight from depression, sh*tty nutrition, whatever - 5’ 9" at 156lbs to 5’ 11" 125lbs.

Now I have read a crap load of articles on how to gain weight the right way, I’m not an ectomorph, and from the weight loss, my body is thriving to replace it with fat (FFB article), so after reading some articles on the nutrition, carb-cycling, ect, I was wondering on a few things.

I got cross country at 2:45 to 3:15 almost everyday, fridays and wednesdays off, I think. I am training balls to the freakin wall here, I want to get such in shape, everything, I’m going to be weight lifting every other day, and sometimes if I’m feelin “pumped” a supplemental lift on an “off” day. I want to be in incredible shape and have an incredible body. So here where I thought you guys could come in and just give me some pointers:

I’m gonna be doing Protein and Carb meals, and Protein fat meals. Since my training is basically from 3-5:30, I figure that I should split my meals as:

Protein / carb as breakfast
protein / fat at 10:30
protein / carb at lunch
protein / carb after workout
protein / fat at dinner
protein / fat before bed

Now major questions:
Recommendations on what protein / fat to eat at 10:30 so I don’t look like a complete tool? I was contemplating taking some hard boiled eggs at breakfast, choppin em up while I sipped my oatmeal, and throwin it in a tupperware cup then just wolfing it when no one was looking between classes.

After running - before lifting, 16oz gatorade ok? Then after lifting, banana, apple, and protein shake.

I can not really use a lot of protein, I need to make a 2lb serving last a month, so one scoop a day, so I am just stickin’ to after workout.

Also, how many carbs are allowed in a P/F meal, and how much fat is allowed in a C/P meal?

Just never really saw an answer in the articles saying how much is ok, thought you guys could help. Thanks a bunch[/quote]

I think it was Vroom that told you in your last post that you need to stop worrying about stupid shit and just eat dude. And I mean a ton, seeing how you are doing cross country almost everyday. I too am a FFB, I used to be 225, now I am 170. I was 159 at my lowest, but have been bulking a few months. I read all your post and you worry about every little detail possible. I used to struggle with the same problem. But the only thing that I got out of that was a lot of stress, which is a deffinate problem for trying to add muscle.

I was so scared that after I lost all my weight that it would all come back as fat… but I revved up my metabolism over the course of a few months before bulking. Now, I just eat.

I do follow the Pro/Carb and Pro/Fat meal guidelines, but you dont have to make it that difficult. At your weight, and for your goals, and being as active as you are, my best advice would be to just lift hard, dont over-train, rest AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, and EAT LIKE A HOMELESS MAN AT A FREE BUFFET LINE, especially after working out. Dude, just relax, do what I said, and everything else will fall into place nicely. Good Luck

Peace

J.P.

Yes I do realize that I will have to eat insane amounts of food to just maintain my weight at the cafeteria seeing as how meals in between at most will only equal 200 calories if that and to maintain I will need 2700-2900 daily. I just hope that I won’t have to resort to deli meats at the sandwhich bar as my lean meat source caus that stuff has sooooo much sodiummmm in itttttttt and I don’t feel like having 3lbs of water retention while running xD.

But yeah, I was going for the only bread I eat as being the oatmeal and the bread at lunch, caus I seem to get chubby with the bread. I dunno, I still haven’t figured out what my body likes and dislikes, because I do realize that at some points this year all I ate was carbs but somehow maintained weight, but i also didn’t eat enough to maintain, so blah blah.

But even though I wasn’t techinically “Fat”, I still guess this makes me a FFB just because I lost 30lbs or so, and thus my body wants to refil that fat cells up. But yeah, basically I will just keep it Protein and carbs at breakfast, lunch and post workout. Then Protein fats at brunch, and then my last two meals of day.

Just wonderin what I am going to do for meals without lookin like a tool lol

Yes I do realize that I will have to eat insane amounts of food to just maintain my weight at the cafeteria seeing as how meals in between at most will only equal 200 calories if that and to maintain I will need 2700-2900 daily. I just hope that I won’t have to resort to deli meats at the sandwhich bar as my lean meat source caus that stuff has sooooo much sodiummmm in itttttttt and I don’t feel like having 3lbs of water retention while running xD.

But yeah, I was going for the only bread I eat as being the oatmeal and the bread at lunch, caus I seem to get chubby with the bread. I dunno, I still haven’t figured out what my body likes and dislikes, because I do realize that at some points this year all I ate was carbs but somehow maintained weight, but i also didn’t eat enough to maintain, so blah blah.

But even though I wasn’t techinically “Fat”, I still guess this makes me a FFB just because I lost 30lbs or so, and thus my body wants to refil that fat cells up. But yeah, basically I will just keep it Protein and carbs at breakfast, lunch and post workout. Then Protein fats at brunch, and then my last two meals of day.

[/quote]

Hey man, add 30lbs to you current weight, makes 155-160 at 5’10", which makes you a Former Less Scranwy Bastard not FFB.

[/quote]

The deli meat is fine. You really have to stop worrying about all these bizarre small details. A little extra water retention won’t kill you. Buy protein bars or pack sandwiches to eat at school in between or during classes, I am in HS too and that is what I do. You should be eating at least twice during a 6-7 hour school day, not including a brief snack before practice.

Alright, only problem is bread is deli meats aren’t served at breakfast or anything to make a sandwhich with, so my snack at 10ish will have to be hard-boiled eggs chopped up in a cup.

I can make an extra sandwhich to eat before practice as well also. And I will suffice to eating the deli meats and what not, I’ll just drink a crap load of water.

Thanks for the support guys, and I’ll chime in every now and then to post week by week progress I guess.