Quick 20 Minute Program?

Would anyone have any recommendations for a quick 20 minute program that I could do on a daily basis. I have limited time at home but I could squeeze 20-30 minutes at lunch for a daily workout. Say 5-6 times/week. I realize that that is not optimum, however I’m not looking for some supercharged cross-fit thing.

Actually looking for something strength/BB focused. Best I could find is an old Joel Marion program called time efficienct training where you simply use alternating sets of to disimilar bodyparts. Thanks

What equipment do you have to work with?

Check out CT’s ramp posts in his forum. You could probably pick an exercise to focus on each of the 5 or so days you have and ramp, cluster, hyp per his recommendation within the 20mon limit while having a good all around workout for both strength and BB. I’d read his forum and/or ask him about it though. If that’s the route you decide to take.

As the above poster mentioned, this will also depend on what equipment you have.

Also, there was an article a while back (2012 I think) that talked about you exact issue. I want to say it was Ben Bruno that wrote it, but I could be wrong.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
What equipment do you have to work with?[/quote]
Definitely a factor to consider if you’re stuck training at home. With time restrictions, the more tools available the better, obviously.

[quote]pepperman wrote:
Would anyone have any recommendations for a quick 20 minute program that I could do on a daily basis. I have limited time at home but I could squeeze 20-30 minutes at lunch for a daily workout. Say 5-6 times/week.[/quote]
Is this a short-term situation you’re in or is your schedule going to be like this from now on? Also, what are the chances of getting a “full” or longer workout on Saturday and/or Sunday? That would open up even more options.

I’d look into low volume, high intensity lifting.

4 or 5 30-ish-minute sessions on some kind of basic split should be plenty.

Or check out EDT.

You can get a lot done in two 10 or 15 minute blocks a few days a week. Being strict with the clock is key for this.

Also, re-read this thread. The info still applies:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Also, there was an article a while back (2012 I think) that talked about you exact issue. I want to say it was Ben Bruno that wrote it, but I could be wrong.[/quote]
Ben Bruno’s “Power of 3” program? I guess. It’s “only” lifting 3 days a week, so it might help, but the guy’d have to hustle to get them finished if he really only has 30 minutes to train. Not that that would be a bad thing.

^here are a couple of other articles as well. I’m not sure if the “power of 3” article is the one I mentioned or not. I don’t think it is.

Two suggestions, of course I’m biased toward a certain training style (heavier).

OPTION 1 - Shortened layer

• pick ONE exercise
  1. Start with about 50-60% of your max and gradually work up to a 3RM (maximum weight you can lift for 3 reps)… only do sets of 3 even with the lighter weights

2. With 85-90% of your 1RM, perform 2-3 sets of 3-5 reps

3. With 75-80% of your 1RM perform one extended set (max reps/15 sec rest/max reps)

OPTION 2 - High frequency strength

Do 4 exercises hittign the whole body

1. Squat
  2. Push press
  3. Bench press
  4. Barbell row

Perform as many sets of one exercise in 5 minutes and move on to the next…

DAY 1. Sets of 5 with 80%
DAY 2. Sets of 3 with 70%
DAY 3. Sets of 3 with 90%
DAY 4. Sets of 5 with 60%
DAY 5. Sets of 10 with 60%
DAY 6. Sets of 3 with 80%
DAY 7. OFF

^Ask and ye shall receive. You gotta love T-Nation.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

This is another good one

Thank you for all of the responses thus far.
The equipment that I have access to is basic Wendler style- power rack, bench, lat pulldown
1000+#s of weights. bars, bands.

I particularily liked CT’s responses regarding the two contrasting programs. One lift a day style vs. picking four full body lifts and working them for five minutes each. I’m assuming with the FBT program of CT, he’s recommending to ramp up to the desired lift and work it for five muinutes each. Meaning don’t include the ramping within the five minutes.
The complexes provide an interesting alternative for conditioning. Thanks

[quote]pepperman wrote:
Thank you for all of the responses thus far.
The equipment that I have access to is basic Wendler style- power rack, bench, lat pulldown
1000+#s of weights. bars, bands.

I particularily liked CT’s responses regarding the two contrasting programs. One lift a day style vs. picking four full body lifts and working them for five minutes each. I’m assuming with the FBT program of CT, he’s recommending to ramp up to the desired lift and work it for five muinutes each. Meaning don’t include the ramping within the five minutes.
The complexes provide an interesting alternative for conditioning. Thanks[/quote]

I imgaine you would want to Ramp to prime your CNS. It would make sense not to include it since 5 mins is what 3-5 sets.

Not to over step CT, I was just going to tell tou what I’ve been doing the last 6mths. I’m in the same bout no time, mabey 20-30 min a day, so I started with the lift a day program, and thet morphed into two lifts a day, basicaly I pick two non related exercises and go back and forth ramping up to a point where I can’t get 5reps, and do a couple higher rep sets on the way back down, with the smaller exercises I juist keep the reps steady at 10-20.

Right now I’m basicaly doing three day split,
Squats and DB curls
Bench and face pull
T bar row and landmine press

This isn’t ideal, but I’ve gotten stronger in my bench and squat, and my shoulders and arms are looking pretty good, in the long term I think there will be imbalance’s with this type of program, but for now I’m growing and getting stonger, and it fits my lifestyle, 2cents, Goodluck