Questions?

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
apayne wrote:
Chad,
I’m currently performing your Lift Fast program and have a question about eliminating the SSC response with exercises like squats, deadlifts, etc.

I’m performing the 4 second pause at the bottom of the movement, which for deadlifts seems more like an isometric hold. Also, I tried to sit in the bottom of the squat for four seconds, but my knees didn’t like that, so I won’t be doing it anymore. Am I missing something? Moves like bench and rows are simple to hold, any input you had on other movements would be appreciated. Thanks.

You’re right dude, some exercise are better-suited for the technique than others. If you ever feel pain/discomfort in any method, avoid it.

The SSC technique is best suited for squats, presses, calf raises and dips. Stick to those, for now. [/quote]

Thanks for the feedback Hoss. I was thinking that pulling movements probably didn’t benefit much from the SSC technique. Sure tweaked my titties though!

[quote]bmf_inc wrote:
Hi Chad,

What diets do you recommend for your hypertrophy training programs? Thanks![/quote]

I really like Berardi’s “7 Habits…” guidelines. Follow these simple steps and you’ll be ahead of the game.

[quote]bmf_inc wrote:
Chad - how far away are you from completing your PhD? What are your plans upon completion? [/quote]

Now, that’s probably my toughest question tonight. There are many things “in the works” within my life, therefore, it’s hard to say. Also, it depends on if I decide to attend Medical School, or not.

[quote]Reef wrote:
Chad,
Which routine of yours do you suggest for relative newbies looking to increase strength? ABBH, TBT, WM, TTT, or Big Boy Basics?[/quote]

Big Boy Basics followed by ABBH.

[quote]Watts wrote:
Chad-
I’ve done quite a few of your programs -thanks. I am looking for a program suited to seriously increase leg mass and strength, any recommendations? I had considered hybrid hypertrophy, possibly using MAG-10 in place of Alpha Male and Methoxy-7, your thoughts? Thanks[/quote]

Which programs have you followed?

Chad,

Thanks for answering my question earlier. I have been adding 2.5% to whatever I did the previous week, so your answer makes good sense.

When you add % to a lift, you often come up with a number that is less than a 5 lbs increase. What do you suggest in these situations. I usually round to the nearest 5 lbs, but thought i would ask the master.

Also just wanted to let you know how your TTT worked for me:

Front squat went up 25 lbs
decline bench up 15
weighted chins up 7.5
standing calf up 35

Basically all of my lifts increased. Thanks for a great program. Started WM today, brutal. I guarentee i am sore as hell tomorrow

Watts wrote:
Chad-
I’ve done quite a few of your programs -thanks. I am looking for a program suited to seriously increase leg mass and strength, any recommendations? I had considered hybrid hypertrophy, possibly using MAG-10 in place of Alpha Male and Methoxy-7, your thoughts? Thanks

Which programs have you followed? [/quote]

OVT, ABBH, TTT, QD, TBT, and most recently WM followed by Thib’s Shoulder Overhaul, to switch it up.

Chad,

I’m considering competing in a strongman competition in a few months. Of all the events, I’m weakest in the log press. Part of this weakness comes from the wide grip the log requires (I have very narrow shoulders), and I realize that with more log experience, I’ll become more comfortable with the grip width. But my greatest improvement in the event will come from increased pressing strength.

In short, how can I develop some kick-ass push-press strength? Are there any specific supplemental exercises that might help? Also, I notice that most novice competitors don’t use their legs enough, and even for those that do, they seem to be simply bending their legs and pressing the weight rather than using their legs to help explode the weight up. How can I train to avoid this mistake? Thanks.

Chad,

I have been doing TBT for about 6 months now, a shoulder surgery and a few short vacations to break it up. I have made some great gains strength wise but not much size as I was dieting off some the fat with the Velocity Diet, no strength loss during it. How or can/should you implement Olympic lifts or band training into TBT?

Chad,

since you asked, I’m gonna throw a Q at ya I’ve been thinking a lot about lately:

What would you say is the best way to identify which fiber types an individual has the greatest growth potential for, ie. which set/rep schemes would probably be the best for an individual to train in order to get bigger, stronger and faster?

I’ve read you say that you would do 10x3 if you could only do one set-rep scheme, and I’m wondering if you think that would work best for everyone or just a portion of trainees as it seems that many of the more bodybuilding oriented training has focused on many more reps per set, often using around 8 to 12 reps per set.

Also, if there is a way to identify which set/rep scheme may work best for one person, do you beleive in that kind of methodology in training to get bigger, stronger, and faster (Such as training a specific way more often, such as 10x3, or 4x6, or 2x13?)

Thanks for the open Q session, I look forward to your response.

-what programs do you recommend for fat burning?

-would the Waterbury Method work for fatburning?

-how many minutes of cardio should i do for fatburning?

-I am currently doing the Waterbury Method and although i am stronger i dont see any increase in mass, my diet is okay, what would you recommend?

-how often should i change routines?

-after the Waterbury Method what other programs do you recommend?

thank you for your time.

Chad,

What proram of yours would you recommend if I am happy with were I am at. In other words I’m happy with my mass and don’t want to get any bigger. I just want to stay where I am at for awhile. I want to keep increasing strength but do not want any more mass. Thanks for any recommendations you give.

Hi Doc Waterbury,

I don’t know if you’re answering questions anymore, but I’m hoping I can slide in under the wire. 2 questions, please:

I completed ABBH and was over 1/2 way through ABBH II. I messed my shoulder up…through other things (not workout related).

The doctor says I have about 2.5 more weeks of rest and recovery. Absoluteley no exercise/sports/lifting or carrying (even a grocery bag) for that time.

Question 1: How do you suggest I work back into lifting heavy so as to minimize the risk of reinjury?

Oh yeah, I’m afraid I can’t tell you exactly what’s wrong. Language barriers (between me and the doctor…I am American, but I’m in China), but all i can tell you is that all/any pressing moves aggravate it.

Question 2: How can I keep the LBM and strength I’ve acquired? I figure keep the protein intake high, but what else? Should I continue taking creatine?

Thanks.

TB

[quote]PharmD Pete wrote:
Chad,

Thanks for answering my question earlier. I have been adding 2.5% to whatever I did the previous week, so your answer makes good sense.

When you add % to a lift, you often come up with a number that is less than a 5 lbs increase. What do you suggest in these situations. I usually round to the nearest 5 lbs, but thought i would ask the master.

decline bench up 15
weighted chins up 7.5
standing calf up 35

Basically all of my lifts increased. Thanks for a great program. Started WM today, brutal. I guarentee i am sore as hell tomorrow[/quote]

Buy some PlateMates; they’re invaluable.

Because you’re increasing by percentages, the stronger you get, the bigger leaps you make. What’s up with that anyway? I assume that using percentages allows a person to make proportional jumps as in a curl vs a deadlift.

PharmD Pete wrote:
Chad,

decline bench up 15
weighted chins up 7.5
standing calf up 35

Basically all of my lifts increased. Thanks for a great program. Started WM today, brutal. I guarentee i am sore as hell tomorrow

Buy some PlateMates; they’re invaluable. [/quote]

Chad, what do you think of the “greasing the gorve” method.

In case you don’t know what it is, I originally read it in the book “the Naked Warrior”

It revolves around doing a very low volume of strength training every day of the weak. You pick two excercies (in the book he uses one legged squats and one handed pushups). Then you do those two exercises, or varyations of them every day. Each day using differnt loading parameters. You never ever come close to falure on anything. You never lift for more then 5 reps per set. You have to lift a weight that is heavy (like 5 RM). You spread your sets throught the day.

One example would be, everytime you go to your basement for somethng (such as laundry), you do a few pullups. Or everytime you eat a meal (such as if you eat 6 times a day), you do 2-4 one handed pushups on each arm.

Strength is a skill. The more you practice it, the better you get at it. In my own applications, I have seen some very good results.

CW,

I posted this before but I think it got lost in the shuffle.

I’m doing TBT with good results. On the off days, I fence. It’s a workout. You recommend GPP for the off-days. I feel that although the fencing class/sparring is a tough workout, my levels of GPP aren’t up to scratch.

TBT is Monday/Thursday/Saturday and fencing is Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday.

Should I do extra GPP work on Sunday (only day off) or tackle it in another way?

Thanks.

Chad,

Charles P. stated that the brachialis would benefit from some reverse-curling, which could boost my upper-arms.
Im not a very big fan of isolating-exercises, so can i get the same effect from doing some close grip pull-ups instead of my usual chin-ups, the placement of the hands seem similar to the reverse-curl to me?

thx for answering

CW any tips for the OH squat, it’ll be my first time doing it tomorrow

Hey Chad,
I notice in alot of your programs, you utilize supersets. Are these necessary or will your programs be just as beneficial doing straight sets?