T Nation

Questions Regarding WS4SB

Hi!
Some background info:
26 years old, 6ft, 190lbs. Been working out for 8-10months, the last 3 of which on starting strength. I realized that I wanted to pack on some more mass so that's why I wanted to try out WS4SB for a few months.
So I want to start this program but I had a few questions...

1- I like the 3 day template from WS4SB1. Should I just stick with that or should I try to use some of the 'improvements' mentioned in WS4SB3 and make like a hybrid plan of WS4SB1 and 3?

2- On the ME Lower Body day, can I go with squats for a few weeks, then switch to deadlifts? And on the ME upper body day, do bench press for a weeks and then switch to something else?

3- How does this look?

MONDAY â?? Max-Effort Upper Body
1. Max-Effort Exercise â?? work up to a max set of 3-5 reps (at least 5 sets total)
barbell bench press
2. SUPPLEMENTAL LIFT - Perform 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.
Incline dumbbell bench press
3. HORIZONTAL ROW - Perform 4 sets of 10-15 reps.
Bent-over dumbbell or barbell rows
4. REAR DELT/UPPER BACK - Perform 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps
Bent-over dumbbell rear delt flyes
5. WEIGHTED ABDOMINAL EXERCISE - 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps

WEDNESDAY - Max-Effort Lower Body
1. MAX-EFFORT LIFT - Work up to a max set of 5 reps.
SQUATS for 2-3 weeks
2. UNILATERAL MOVEMENT - Perform 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps.
Walking lunges
3. HAMSTRING / POSTERIOR CHAIN MOVEMENT - Perform 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.
standing good mornings

SATURDAY - Repetition Upper Body
1. REPETITION LIFT - Work up to 3 sets of max reps, rest 60 seconds between sets.
Barbell bench press
2. SUPPLEMENTAL LIFT (triceps) - Perform 3-4 sets of 5-10 reps.
Skull crushers (EZ bar)
3. VERTICAL PULLING - Perform 4 sets of 8-12 reps.
straight arm pulldown
4. MEDIAL DELT or TRAP EXERCISE - Perform 3 sets of 10-15 reps.
Barbell or dumbbell shrugs
5. ELBOW FLEXION EXERCISE - Perform 3 sets of 8-10 reps.
Preacher curls (EZ bar or straight bar)

Thanks!

Reading the article along with the program will answer your first two questions.

Don’t hybrid the program. WS4SB 1 is great for anyone that is training for or participating in a sport. WS4SB 3 is really good during the off-season when you have more time.

I also recommend reading the WS4SB 3 program. JD answers so many questions in that and explains why you should do what.

Your question about working one lift for a few weeks then switching is how you are supposed to do it

Thanks by re-reading I confirmed that. But regarding a 3day template I should just follow WS4SB1 and not consider using some of the changes from part3?
Or maybe I’ll just stick with SS… eh I dunno…

Depends on your goals, just tinker with it a bit. As long as its not stupid you’ll be fine.