Questions on WS4SB-III

Allright, well I tried searching around for this but all I could find was training logs and questions about how to do it/form check, etc.
My question’s more about the ‘why,’ not the ‘how.’ Now please, don’t spam this with retarded posts like, ‘we’ve been doing this longer than you, I’m-so-smart-don’t-question-it,’ I’m just a bit curious and would like to learn all I can out of it. If anyone could actually provide some insight, it’d be appreciated.

The first thing that struck me as odd is that it only offers a squat OR deadlift per week, on ME lower body day. I just don’t see how I can progress if I’m switching between the two every week. And if I just choose one, I’ll go down in the other. It seems a lot more logical to simply replace the hyper-extensions from dynamic effort day with a DL and keep the ME day for squat. Would this work well or is there some sort of ‘bigger picture’ type thing that I’m missing here?

The second thing I found odd was that there’s two days of shrugs per week. I thought this was just something you did every couple of weeks, or even once a month in some cases? And yet, the program has a complete lack of military press. Is there any particular reason for this?

Btw, the PDF is the first google hit in case you don’t entirely know/remember the setup of it.

If you’re squat goes up, chances are your deadlift will go up as well. Keep in mind this isn’t a beginner program. Beginners should probably pull from the floor more often.

Also, there’s posterior chain exercises on both lower body days that can variations of a deadlift. Like RDL on DE lower day and and pull throughs or something similar on ME day. Or you could do two days of RDLs and probably be fine. In short, often times a lifter doesn’t need to pull very often to get better at it. I pull every two or three weeks and usually hit a PR every time–as long as my squat is going up, so is my dead.

As far as shrugs, beats me. Could be viewed as a deadlift assistance exercise. And how often one does shrugs depends on the person. Defranco obviously found that it helps.

As far as military press, this program was designed for athletes, Defranco might consider the military press a high risk lift for athletes that depends on their shoulders being healthy. Keep in mind that the delts will get a lot of work from bench pressing and the rear delt/pulling supersets.

In reality, it is a, “I’m-so-smart-don’t-question-it.” Joe Defranco has gotten more people strong than you. He wins. Do the program and trust he knows what’s going on.

Or you could do Rippetoes…

j/k. They’re both great programs.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Or you could do Rippetoes…

j/k. They’re both great programs.[/quote]

Pff

One-Day Split Program For A Wider Chest & Massive Bi’s >> Rippetoe

:stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]boyscout wrote:
In reality, it is a, “I’m-so-smart-don’t-question-it.” Joe Defranco has gotten more people strong than you. He wins. Do the program and trust he knows what’s going on.[/quote]

I never said I wasn’t going to do the program, I’d just like to understand it more. How am I ever going to learn more if I don’t ask questions ?_? Better than remaining ignorant forever.

I just posted here in case someone happened to know the actual reasons for it instead of bothering him with another email, as he said he already answers hundreds a month it as it is. Anyone know if he has an FAQ or something?

@Otep
I already did Rippetoes but it started getting stale and my gains were slowing to a halt, hence why I started WS4SB and my squat/bench started going up again.

[quote]Ryshu wrote:
boyscout wrote:
In reality, it is a, “I’m-so-smart-don’t-question-it.” Joe Defranco has gotten more people strong than you. He wins. Do the program and trust he knows what’s going on.

I never said I wasn’t going to do the program, I’d just like to understand it more. How am I ever going to learn more if I don’t ask questions ?_? Better than remaining ignorant forever.

I just posted here in case someone happened to know the actual reasons for it instead of bothering him with another email, as he said he already answers hundreds a month it as it is. Anyone know if he has an FAQ or something?

[/quote]

He also answers questions on …
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/

Or, you could actually read the program and realize that you can do deadlift every week. See, you can choose a deadlift variation on the second lower body day or as an accessory exercise on the ME day.

And, Joe D. says in the program that he doesn’t like his ‘skinny bastards’ to do too much in a week because they need the recovery time. So, he limits the heavy, ME, lower body exercise to just one major movement.

Shrugs 2 times a week is to make the athletes upper back/traps whatever you call it stronger.

imagine being a motocross racer, handball player, soccer player, football player landing on you back on hard surfaces alot you will want something to hold you body together. also http://www.elitefts.com/documents/the_yoke.htm

as far as i remember there are a medial delt exercise on RE upper body day. you can do military presses there.