T Nation

Questions on Weighted Chin-Ups

So, I want to try doing weighted chin-ups or pullups next week for the max effort upper body day of W4SB program. However, there are a few concerns i have with regard to that exercise:

1. I don't have a weight belt and for attaching weight plates or kettle bells to my body. So, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to hold a dumbbell somehow between my legs that is relatively heavy?

2. If I did this as my max effort lift during the max effort upper body day then would it end up being too taxing for the biceps, shoulder, and lat muscles if I did that exercise in addition to doing a lat/upper back superset along with doing an elbow flexor exercise all within the same workout?

Back when I was doing dips with 50lbs and I had no belt I just stood up straight and placed the dumbbell between my ankles. When it came time to dip I got myself set and curled my legs up (imagine a leg curl except standing) and did the exercise. It worked pretty well.

You can also buy a piece of rope or a luggage strap and use it as a belt. I’ve found that, after a certain weight, your adductor strength becomes a limiting factor which is pointless.

1. Better off biting the bullet and buying a belt. You’ll need it once you start hitting the bigger numbers. I think you’ll be able to find stuff online if you even want to make one.

2. Shouldn’t be a problem. I was doing weighted chins along with band pull aparts, face pulls, seated rows and curls. All in the same session. Never really experienced any issues.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
You can also buy a piece of rope or a luggage strap and use it as a belt. I’ve found that, after a certain weight, your adductor strength becomes a limiting factor which is pointless.[/quote]

Never had this problem, soon as I pull up my ankles were crossed. With my feet locked it required little adductor strength. Never did more than a 100 though

Alright then, I’ll try holding the dumbbell between my legs with this exercise and continue to use this method until the weight becomes too heavy for the adductors to hold onto.

Also, there is another thing I forgot to ask on my original post. If do the wieghted chin-ups max effort lift on the max effort upper day, then should add couple more exercises such as dumbbell overhead press and triceps extension exercise since to target the medial shoulder and triceps since I won’t be doing a max effort pushing lift on that day for the next two weeks? Otherwise, I’d feel like I wouldn’t be getting that much work done on the chest, medial shoulders, and triceps if I did just one supplemental pushing exercise on that day, and thereby ending up doing both an overhead press variation and a triceps isolation variation, in which both of them are listed with more bodybuilding-like rep parameters on the W4SB program, only once a week.

Any reason why you can’t just go out and buy a dip/chin belt?

all you need is a chain or tow strap and a carabiner. Or just a piece of rope. This one is very easy to improvise.

theBeth
all you need is a chain or tow strap and a carabiner. Or just a piece of rope. This one is very easy to improvise.

This, just go to hard ware store, and for 3$ or less buy 4ft of chain, than for a buck or two buy a carabiner, they have key chain ones by the counter. Thats all you need. I used this set up for years, the angle of pull is better than DB between your legs, and you’ll progress faster
.2cents

Also, there is another thing I forgot to ask on my original post. If do the wieghted chin-ups max effort lift on the max effort upper day, then should add couple more exercises such as dumbbell overhead press and triceps extension exercise since to target the medial shoulder and triceps since I won’t be doing a max effort pushing lift on that day for the next two weeks? Otherwise, I’d feel like I wouldn’t be getting that much work done on the chest, medial shoulders, and triceps if I did just one supplemental pushing exercise on that day, and thereby ending up doing both an overhead press variation and a triceps isolation variation, in which both of them are listed with more bodybuilding-like rep parameters on the W4SB program, only once a week.

Why not just do the program as it’s written and see how that works out for you?

Alright then, I guess I’ll try the program exactly as it is written. Hopefully, I don’t end up creating any sort of muscle imbalance(s) in my arms and/or shoulders from doing the weighted chin-up exercise as my max lift and only one pressing movement -which is a supplemental exercise- on my max effort upper body days.

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
Alright then, I guess I’ll try the program exactly as it is written. Hopefully, I don’t end up creating any sort of muscle imbalance(s) in my arms and/or shoulders from doing the weighted chin-up exercise as my max lift and only one pressing movement -which is a supplemental exercise- on my max effort upper body days.[/quote]

Yeah mate, you’re definitely overthinking things.

The last thing you are going to develop on WS4SB is a ‘muscle imbalance’.