T Nation

Questions on Routine From Flex

ok so i read this new mass routine in FLEX magazine today. before you guys yell at me I know not to trust these fitness magazines but this routine seemed intriguing to me. It came with the routine itself and a nutrition plan (which was basically 3500 cals a day).

week 1,4,7

mon-back/legs/shoulders/abs
tues-chest/tris/bis/calves
wed-repeat mon.
thurs-repeat tues.
fri-repeat mon.
sat-repeat tues.
sun-off

for this “cycle” you do 2 exercises per muscle group and 5-6 sets each. This is called the “pump cycle” because each set is reps from 15-30! I find that odd but what do I know lol.

week 2,5,8

mon-chest/tris
tues-legs/shoulders
wed-back/bis
thurs-repeat mon
fri-repeat tues
sat-repeat wed
sun-off

this cycle is 3-4 exercise with 4-6 sets. the rep range is on more 8-12 based.

week 3,6,9

mon-arms
tues-shoulders
wed-off
thurs-legs
fri-chest/back
sat-off
sun-off

this week is considered “rest and grow”. high volume and high intensity. rep ranges from 8-15

so thats the system…obviously my main question is do you think this is a good program?

right now im doing a periodization routine

back/tris
legs
shoulders
chest/bis
off
off or repeat

sets of 12,10,8,6,4,10-12. 4-5 exercises per body part.

I know this is a long post but Id really like some knowledgeable posts on whether its a good system or even if my periodization is a good one either and which is better.

thanks alot!!

bmar

Weeks 1,3,7: Youre going to do 60 sets/day 6 days/week

Weeks 2,4,8: Youre going to do 48 sets/day 6 days/week

Weeks 3,5,9: You didnt say how many sets.

So youre going to be cycling between 360 sets/week, 288 sets/week, and something slightly less than that?

Are you planning on eating 5000+ calories/day , sleeping 14-15 hours every night, and running about 3 g of test every week?

Honestly, it looks like the same kind of crap they have been spewing for 40 years. Will it work? Sure, to a point anyway. IT looks like they are just playing Scrable with body parts, sets and reps. I don’t see any logic to it.

[quote]bmar22 wrote:

so thats the system…obviously my main question is do you think this is a good program?

right now im doing a periodization routine

back/tris
legs
shoulders
chest/bis
off
off or repeat

sets of 12,10,8,6,4,10-12. 4-5 exercises per body part.

I know this is a long post but Id really like some knowledgeable posts on whether its a good system or even if my periodization is a good one either and which is better.

thanks alot!!

bmar

[/quote]

Flex routine=crap

Yours=same

For your routine you are doing roughly 24-30 sets per bodypart at 5-6 days a week, I don’t think I do 24 sets all week and definitly not 30. If I could recommend you a program it would be a simple strength based plan like a beginners powerlifting template. Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is also a good plan for developing strength on key exercises for overall size gains.

thanks for the input guys. for the sake of conversation WHY would you say mark rippetoe would be best for me? especially if size is my main goal. I realize size comes with strength but NOT completely. would perhaps a periodized

chest/tri
back/bi
legs
shoulders
off
repeat

be better?

again thanks for the info.

scott’s always made me think a little harder lol :wink:

[quote]bmar22 wrote:
thanks for the input guys. for the sake of conversation WHY would you say mark rippetoe would be best for me? especially if size is my main goal. I realize size comes with strength but NOT completely. would perhaps a periodized

chest/tri
back/bi
legs
shoulders
off
repeat

be better?

again thanks for the info.

scott’s always made me think a little harder lol ;)[/quote]

5x5 has been getting people big for years, not just newbies, but also advanced lifters. It works for just about anyone. I know that a lot of people say things like “not everything works for everyone because were all different” and thats bullshit. The human body is similar enough that a solid approach to training will work for everyone, as long as they are all applying adequate intensity, rest, and nutrition.

You dont get bigger without getting at least a little stronger and those who are the biggest are the ones who have made the greatest increases in their strength level FOR REPS. Have you ever seen someone squat 500 lbs for reps with small legs or someone who could incline 315 for reps with small chest, shoulders, or triceps? The BEST and MOST SURE way to get bigger is to get stronger. How big are the people telling you that you dont necessarily have to get stronger to get bigger?

What you just suggested is basically the exact same thing you said you are doing now and its obviously not working if you are willing to jump on the train with this ridiculous workout from FLEX.

Periodized how? Do you understand what periodization is and how to lay it out or are you just throwing that out there?

i do “think” i know what periodization is but i could be wrong…hit me with some knowledge lol.

also have you done ripptoes?

also, why do u feel my push/pull/legs/shoulders wouldnt be proficient when people do that all the time??

bump

Honestly I suggested Starting Strength because it’s simple and you tend to complicate things it seems. It seems too basic to be right, but if you bench 185x10 today and a year later 315x10 and ate 5-6 protein meals a day your chest is going to be much larger. People want to make this stuff into a science project when really it’s just 1+1+1+1+1+1 etc for years taking little steps forward. You see everyone in the gym doing cable crossovers and “etching out cuts” and all this, but the people with the biggest chests(for the most part) are pressing serious weight on inclines, dumbbell presses, wide grip dips or whatever their favorite movement happens to be. Keep it simple, find a simple progressive plan that you can train with and you’ll be much happier.

And if you want an idea of what I mean. I’d take a push pull legs split, pick your favorite one-two exercises per bodypart and try to take them to their strength max. Off the top of my head(and I just did my cardio so my brain is a little frazzled. Both sets taken to all out failure in good form, always looking to progress in weight or reps training every other day(or as often as you can progress). Controlled negative, powerful positive.

Day 1
Incline Barbell Press 2x6-12
Seated Behind the neck(to ears only)Press 2x6-12
Wide Reverse Grip Smith Press 2x10-15

Day 3
Alternate Dumbbell Curl 2x10-15
Reverse Grip Pulldown 2x6-12
Rack Dead lift 2x6-12

Day 5
Calves on Leg Press 2x10-15
Romanian Dead lifts 2x6-12
Back Squat 2x12-20

Day 7
Chest Shoulders Triceps again, different exercises

Day 9
Biceps Back again, different exercises

Day 11
Calves Hamstrings Quads again, different exercises

Alternate between your two favorite lifts, always try to get stronger. Sound reasonable?