Questions on Rippetoe's Starting Strength

i want to start Rippetoe’s Starting Strength workout which i hear is very good. i have some questions that i cant find answers to.
first, the 3x5 sets/reps sounds like ill get very bulky. im trying to go for more lean body instead of bulky. is this set/rep combo okay for that?
also, what would be a good daily caloric intake? i understand you have to take in a lot of carbs but doesnt that also equate to more fat?
and, how and when do you add in the accessory excercises? what exercises specifically?

has anybody tried this? how were the gains?

im 5’8, 150 pounds.

[quote]seaside wrote:
i want to start Rippetoe’s Starting Strength workout which i hear is very good. i have some questions that i cant find answers to.
first, the 3x5 sets/reps sounds like ill get very bulky. im trying to go for more lean body instead of bulky. is this set/rep combo okay for that?
also, what would be a good daily caloric intake? i understand you have to take in a lot of carbs but doesnt that also equate to more fat?
and, how and when do you add in the accessory excercises? what exercises specifically?

im 5’8, 150 pounds.[/quote]

Frist off, excellent choice of a program. Two, becoming “bulky” isn’t an easy process, and will take years of hard training. If the ideal progream for you at this point is starting strength you are nowhere near this point. Your carb tolerance is based on many things. Eaty big, with solid food choices is your best bet right now. YOu won’t need any assecory excercises for a while. When you do add dips on a days and chins on b days.

[quote]seaside wrote:
first, the 3x5 sets/reps sounds like ill get very bulky. im trying to go for more lean body instead of bulky. is this set/rep combo okay for that? [/quote]

This is a program for strength, not size. Yes, you’ll probably get a little bit bigger, but as a by-product of your strength gains. What do you consider “bulky?”

[quote]
also, what would be a good daily caloric intake? i understand you have to take in a lot of carbs but doesnt that also equate to more fat? [/quote]

Start out at 2000-2500kcals / day, and see how your body handles it for a month, then re-evaluate. Carb intake is different for everyone, as everyone’s body responds differently. My body is fairly carb intolerant, so I keep my daily carb intake under 100g (otherwise I’m a mess). Experimentation is the only answer to find out what is right for YOU. If you eat clean, though, you will minimize any fat you might gain.

[qoute]
and, how and when do you add in the accessory excercises? what exercises specifically?[/quote]

Personally, I added the Pull-ups and Dips on Week 4. I added Incline Situps and Hyperextensions on Week 6. Next week (my Week 8), I will be adding the Barbell Curls to my Friday workout. This has worked very well for me, and it roughly what Rippetoe recommends.

[qoute]

im 5’8, 150 pounds.[/quote]

Personally, I’m loving this program. Shameless Plug: http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2076324 ← This is my Training Log, and you can see how I’ve based my diet, and how my lifts have progressed, as well as the visual changes that have occurred. There are tons of other Rippetoe’s logs on the Training Forum, so check them out and see how everyone else has been doing.