T Nation

Questions on Fish Oil For BB

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
alright i was exaggerating with the 50+ number but looking through nutritiondata.com seeing the omega 6:3 ratios for the food quantities i eat daily is surprising

1.5 cups raw oats ~ 5.5 grams omega 6

4 tablespoons olive oil ~ 6 grams

6 tablespoons ground pumpkin seeds ~ 10 grams omega 6

as for my main protein sources:

14 eggs (in a day) ~ 8.5 grams

2.5 cups ground beef ~ 2.5 grams

500 cals mozzarella cheese ~ 1 gram

dietary quantity of EPA+DHA: pretty much zero, any small amounts of omega 3 i get are ALA which doesn’t help much
(i don’t eat flaxseed)

once or twice a week i might have some salmon which would add a couple of grams of omega 3 for those days

some days i might eat more than one of those protein sources depending on how hungry i am at the time, so if i chose eggs then my daily omega 6 intake would be 30+ grams

currently i take 30 pills daily of a 180/120 fish oil which only comes out to 9 grams of combined EPA+DHA

i would gladly take more but this habit already costs me around $45 per month for this supplement, luckily the benefits to insulin sensitivity and anti-inflammation are definitely worth every penny[/quote]

any noticeable side effects?

no surgery if that’s what you’re wondering about

i have had various minor cuts from everyday accidents but i haven’t noticed prolonged bleeding or prolonged healing time, similarly when i cut myself shaving the wound stops bleeding within a minute of finishing shaving even if i scrunch my face

as for benefits well pretty much everything

• much less DOMS, i need to train very intense to feel any dull pain the days after
  • smooth joint movement even right after getting out of bed, no shoulder clicking regardless of training volume/intensity
  • better sleep (i get this from fish oil instead of zinc, weird)
  • better reflexes
  • better focus
  • less visceral fat
  • less fat in my midsection overall
  • clear skin with very minimal oil
  • pretty much anything that is promoted by inflammation is much less severe

even if i only got those first two benefits i would still mega-dose fish oil, the rest just come as extra

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
no surgery if that’s what you’re wondering about

i have had various minor cuts from everyday accidents but i haven’t noticed prolonged bleeding or prolonged healing time, similarly when i cut myself shaving the wound stops bleeding within a minute of finishing shaving even if i scrunch my face

as for benefits well pretty much everything

• much less DOMS, i need to train very intense to feel any dull pain the days after
  • smooth joint movement even right after getting out of bed, no shoulder clicking regardless of training volume/intensity
  • better sleep (i get this from fish oil instead of zinc, weird)
  • better reflexes
  • better focus
  • less visceral fat
  • less fat in my midsection overall
  • clear skin with very minimal oil
  • pretty much anything that is promoted by inflammation is much less severe

even if i only got those first two benefits i would still mega-dose fish oil, the rest just come as extra
[/quote]

I actually notice a big difference in sleep too. Also my skin stays clearer. DOMS is a huge difference too. And this is all with 15-20 grams of oil.

what i found to help me with getting extra fish oil per day without going broke is buy liquid fish oil from GNC. I’ve seen it anywhere from $9 to $14 dollars for 96 servings of cod liver oil. thats about 2 grams of omega 3’s per serving too.

So i’d take one serving of that with breakfast then another in my pre bed shake. Then with ever other meal or snack i had i’d take 2-4 regular fish oil caps.

I take about 16 Flameouts a day

[quote]joeker wrote:
I take about 16 Flameouts a day[/quote]

That’s ridiculous. But I’m sure TC appreciates the money! lol

I personally wouldn’t worry about mega-dosing fish oil unless I was trying to lose weight.

If you are just starting to take it, start with just a few capsules per day to feel it out and make sure you don’t get major GI sides. You may find things change a little.

You look pretty skinny from the photo though, so I would only look for it to help with things in that list from a previous post. Joint health especially. Of course we (fish oil users of the 21st Century) are really part of an untrialed experiment to show if fish oil helps prevent long-term complications in health associated with aging, since we are the first people to specifically take the pure substance in larger than normal amounts for extended periods of time during their youth. Of course we all know salmon is good for you, but taking the purified substance is something else entirely.

Also when I first started taking it a few years ago the first thing I noticed was that my body fat dropped considerably. I wasn’t as lean as you are, or as lean as I am now, so you might not notice this too much…

[quote]joeker wrote:
I take about 16 Flameouts a day[/quote]

Impressive for a level 0

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
joeker wrote:

Impressive for a level 0[/quote]

Yeah I’m not sure why that hasn’t updated with all the purchases I’ve made here

[quote]B rocK wrote:
joeker wrote:

That’s ridiculous. But I’m sure TC appreciates the money! lol[/quote]

My diet requires it

[quote]Drizzt wrote:
How many grams of fish oil a day is great amount for bodybuilding?

[/quote]

From part of a recent blog of mine:

…do you actually look at the % of active lipids EPA and DHA when you buy fish oil supplements? Retailers are betting you don?t?What?s the better deal: A product that is 30% active lipids for $20 for 100 1g caps vs. say a product that is 50% active lipids containing the same 100 1g caps for $25? clearly, the latter product is the better deal but the first is cheaper.

Two, are you looking at the % of active lipids to make sure you are taking enough to have an effect? If not, you are short changing yourself both physically and financially. In either of my ebooks for example, I attempt to not only teach people which supplements actually work, but how to learn to read labels, so they are educated consumers, able to save money on the supplements they purchase. For example - keeping with the fish oil theme - what follows is right out of my Fat Loss Revealed ebook:

Studies with fish oils have used doses that are quite variable, so no exact dose is known in terms of optimal effects on fat loss/bodycomp, but 6 - 10 g/day (assuming 30% EPA + DHA) is a starting point. So, a 1000mg (1g) softgell cap of fish oil, would be approximately 180mg of EPA and 120mg of DHA, assuming the general rule of 30% total active lipids. Fish oil comes as 60/40 EPA to DHA.

I would recommend at least approximately 6g (6 1000mg caps) fish oils giving you a total of 1800mg of active lipids per day assuming 30% of 6g is EPA and DHA, but you must read the labels for exact numbers. Looking at specific brands for example:

Puritan?s Pride uses a 1200mg cap, each containing 360mg total active lipids. You would need 5 caps to = 1800mg total active lipids.

Looking at The Life Extension Foundation: They use a 1000mg cap that gives 600mg total active lipids per cap, which means you would need 3 caps to equal the recommended 1800mg above.

Looking at Nordic Naturals, they use a 1000mg cap that gives a total of 275mg of active lipids per cap, so you will need 6-7 caps per day

Looking at Carlson?s, they use a 1000mg cap that gives a total of 320mg of active Omega-3 lipids, so you would need 5-6 caps of this product.

Read your labels people!

take out the calculator

calculate the total mass of EPA+DHA of all the pills combined in your bottle

divide by the bottle (total) price

do the same for another brand

compare

unless you never took elementary school math this isn’t complicated

how bout when it comes to quality. you can buy 1000 fish oil caps at 120/180 ratio for 25 bucks. is it still worth it?