T Nation

Questions on Fish Oil For BB

How many grams of fish oil a day is great amount for bodybuilding?

Should I be taking them after a workout? and how many grams?

How often a day should I take the fish oil??

What has worked best for some of you? Most of these studies I read on the web are intended for women, and I dont know what else to turn to. Tips please!!

Im in somewhat of a bulking phase, 180-250g of protein a day with 400+ carb. I dont know how fishoil will come into play with that either.

I’ve seen many references around here (from CT?) to take a gram of fish oil per % of bodyfat. 15%BF, take 15 grams. I usually spread them out throughout the day evenly, with my meals. The only time I don’t take fish oil is immediately PWO.

You need alot more protien than that to bulk at 210 pounds.

atleast bodyweight * 1.5, times two would be preferred if your not seeing good gains.

And what about fat ? I eat way more fat than carbs, even when bulking.

Start here.

1 serving a day should be fine for you (considering your leanness along with goals)

I was going to say the same as elusive. But, there are some other recommendations. Berardi once suggested a minimum of 6 grams/day and Poliquin sometimes advocates the megadosing. I think, though, the 1 gram/% bf is a good start, though.

I take 3 Flameout twice daily, and a few capsules of another brand with each meal.

I’m not totally sold on higher doses from a cost perspective. Megadosing fish oil is a serious investment.

The best time to take it would be with any meal where fiber intake is low and fat intake is moderate(or high).

That’s 1g/bf% of fish oil? Or is there like an EPA/DHA ratio to bf%?

“International Organizations such as the British Nutrition Foundation, Health & Welfare Canada, NATO and COMA suggest daily intakes of 0.5 - 2.0g per day of omega-3 fatty acids. This would equate to 2 - 3 fish meals per week. OmegaPure® is now available in capsules.”–Omegapure.com

This of course is for the average individual. For T-Nation freaks multiply .5-2.0g x 5!

The more you workout, the more you need

[quote]cownuttz70 wrote:
“International Organizations such as the British Nutrition Foundation, Health & Welfare Canada, NATO and COMA suggest daily intakes of 0.5 - 2.0g per day of omega-3 fatty acids. This would equate to 2 - 3 fish meals per week. OmegaPure® is now available in capsules.”–Omegapure.com
[/quote]

Noting that each gram of fish oil generally has .3 grams of omega-3s, to get 2 grams of omega-3s you would need 7 grams of fish oil.

Thanks for the tips regarding fish oil everyone! I greatly appreciate it.

I’ll go back to what Westclock was saying about protein. I do see some gains but I could see more if I had more protein and fat. I’m always open for new ideas on meals, I currently get about 6-8 meals a day. I am a college student and sometimes its hard to balance everything. Anyone want to share low cost meal plans?

1. the more the better

2. take them with solid meals

3. i don’t take them with PWO because i want to avoid fat at that time

Another one Ive heard recently is 1g per lb bodyfat.

My experience is that it depends per person.

I tried “megaloading” on fish oil from wal-mart in addition to Flameout. 6 Flameout and 12 walmart brand a day; it was a ton!

then i just stopped.

a few weeks later i felt a bit achy…and slowly restarted with the cheap stuff; got to 6/day and figured i felt fine with that intake.

[quote]cyph31 wrote:

1. the more the better
    [/quote]

you can overdose…

that’s like saying you can overdose on fat

so if i eat 100 grams of fat in a meal i should die ?

[quote]cyph31 wrote:

so if i eat 100 grams of fat in a meal i should die ?[/quote]

No, but you can seriously effect blood clotting with too much fish oil. I notice this when I begin to easily get nose bleeds.

I believe there’s also research showing that mega-dosing has negative effects on immune function.

[quote]cyph31 wrote:

so if i eat 100 grams of fat in a meal i should die ?[/quote]

fat such as saturated fat has different reactions in the body as opposed to fish oil. Overdosing on fish oil (which would be rare) could increase the risk of internal bleeding.

well when every single whole food source of decent carbs, proteins and fats stops having such an insanely lopsided balance of omega 6 compared to omega 3 i will stop megadosing fish oil

until that time i can easily consume 50+ grams of omega 6 a day without ever touching vegetables oils, having minimal nuts/seeds and minimal grains

Cyph, where do you figure you’re getting all the polyunsaturated fat then? Sure, the omega ratio is horrible in most animal products but there just isn’t that much polyunsaturated fat.

alright i was exaggerating with the 50+ number but looking through nutritiondata.com seeing the omega 6:3 ratios for the food quantities i eat daily is surprising

1.5 cups raw oats ~ 5.5 grams omega 6

4 tablespoons olive oil ~ 6 grams

6 tablespoons ground pumpkin seeds ~ 10 grams omega 6

as for my main protein sources:

14 eggs (in a day) ~ 8.5 grams

2.5 cups ground beef ~ 2.5 grams

500 cals mozzarella cheese ~ 1 gram

dietary quantity of EPA+DHA: pretty much zero, any small amounts of omega 3 i get are ALA which doesn’t help much
(i don’t eat flaxseed)

once or twice a week i might have some salmon which would add a couple of grams of omega 3 for those days

some days i might eat more than one of those protein sources depending on how hungry i am at the time, so if i chose eggs then my daily omega 6 intake would be 30+ grams

currently i take 30 pills daily of a 180/120 fish oil which only comes out to 9 grams of combined EPA+DHA

i would gladly take more but this habit already costs me around $45 per month for this supplement, luckily the benefits to insulin sensitivity and anti-inflammation are definitely worth every penny