Questions of the Misguided

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:
Well, Chad Waterbury is known to say don’t train biceps much but he is not exactly small. He is, however, one of the guys on this board who popularized such advice.

I was going to comment based on the pics I’ve seen of Mr. Waterbury, but I it’s better to refrain from doing so… It would only create another 70 page thread of Waterburites vs. the rest of the world…

C’mon Carnage, you know you want to. :wink:

There’s no point. I was going to do the same but it would come across like I am bashing him because he isn’t very developed. I just know I personally wouldn’t exactly run up to him to discuss building big muscles.
[/quote]

I know, I was just kidding around with Carnage. :wink:

[quote]
I think many are confused about their own goals because some personal trainers keep acting like they are speaking to Olympic hopefuls and not hoards of less than dedicated people who are looking for ways to spend less time in the gym while over-analyzing everything to the point of stagnation.[/quote]

Completely agree. It would be nice if the articles were (honestly) categorized, or labeled, for the intended audience and the intended purpose. It would also be nice (although I realize not always possible) if the authors had to provide pictures of their clients who had success with their methods.

That, in my opinion anyhow, would pretty much eliminate much of the confusion, and many of the arguments that go on around here. And it would eliminate the possibility that an author could claim that their methods were superior for an intended purpose (in most cases BB’ing) without having actually proven them to be so on real living clients.

Scott Abel and CT have both done this and that is one of the reasons why I hold both of their opinions and programs for BB’ing in high regard (though admittedly I don’t like Abel’s writing style, but that’s for a different thread).

I mean, if you are going to try to sell people on your methods and you are a high profile person in the industry (which many of the authors here are), then wouldn’t it be good to provide proof of your efficacy as a trainer? And in actuality, wouldn’t it only help to improve your credibility?

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
I mean, if you are going to try to sell people on your methods and you are a high profile person in the industry (which many of the authors here are), then wouldn’t it be good to provide proof of your efficacy as a trainer? And in actuality, wouldn’t it only help to improve your credibility?[/quote]

The fitness industry is one of the oddest, or most unique, one around in that the industry “leaders” actually try to hide their final product.

In almost every other industry people are tripping over themselves to show potential customers what they’ve produced. In this industry it’s almost considered an insult (no clue why) to ask to see what they’ve done for others.

No, instead they create social networks of other “professionals” all jock riding one another to convince the paying public that they have all the answers.

I’m not even asking that they look like beasts (hell, some don’t even look like they’ve touched a weight in their life - no kidding)

because people have different goals at different stages of their lives (similarly some health professionals don’t look healthy, but they might be knowledgeable) - but at least show us that you’re capable of helping others reach their goals!

That’s all I ask…

[quote]Protoculture wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
I mean, if you are going to try to sell people on your methods and you are a high profile person in the industry (which many of the authors here are), then wouldn’t it be good to provide proof of your efficacy as a trainer? And in actuality, wouldn’t it only help to improve your credibility?

The fitness industry is one of the oddest, or most unique, one around in that the industry “leaders” actually try to hide their final product.

In almost every other industry people are tripping over themselves to show potential customers what they’ve produced. In this industry it’s almost considered an insult (no clue why) to ask to see what they’ve done for others.

No, instead they create social networks of other “professionals” all jock riding one another to convince the paying public that they have all the answers.

I’m not even asking that they look like beasts (hell, some don’t even look like they’ve touched a weight in their life - no kidding)

because people have different goals at different stages of their lives (similarly some health professionals don’t look healthy, but they might be knowledgeable) - but at least show us that you’re capable of helping others reach their goals!

That’s all I ask…[/quote]

Exactly.

And honestly I really could care less if they don’t have any BB’ing success and their programs are better suited for athletes, or average Joe’s who want to look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club.

Just, if that’s the case, then don’t tell people that your methods are superior to, or even geared towards, currently successful BB’ing methods.

It’s not unethical to prefer to train other groups that BB’ers. But IMO it is unethical to sell people a product that is not designed to do (or not effective at) what you tell them it is designed for.

And as far as people trying to hide their results, I don’t really think this is true. The people who truly are successful do have photographic proof available for the public to see. Only those who have something to hide would not do so.

Scott Abel, CT, Dante, Justin Harris, John Berardi, to name a few, all have pictures up of their successes. Like I said, this adds to their credibility and is one of the reasons why when I read something by these authors, I feel pretty confident that what they are saying is at least backed up by real world results.