Questions of Protein

I work at a health food store with about 5 different kinds of protein, and because of my employee discount, I’m considering purchasing from there. I was hoping the genius of T-Nation could help me out in picking the best as far as price/effectiveness goes.

Whey protein (5 or 6 different kinds)
Pea protein
Soy protein (about 10 different kinds)
Egg protein

I havnt even heard of most of these, and i was just wondering if people had any idea as some of the other ones, mainly pea protein. (its the cheapest, with 2lbs for 20$).
i’ve heard the soy isnt the best for you, and that your body may not do the best job of absorbing the egg protein (?)

any help would be great
thanks
-C

I’d go with egg and skip the rest for the most part. I wouldn’t use soy myself but I would use the others from time to time by rotating them every few months.

Maybe use egg for a few months then the others for one then back to egg.

Have you no casein there?

i think there might be a little bit, but its in such small quantities that its useless, either way i’ll check tomorrow. as far as protein/gram goes, egg is by far the best (one scoop 30 gs, has 24 gs of protein)

never even heard of pea protein. how much protein is in there? i would probably stick to egg protein though

I hadnt heard of it either, but i think it has around 20 g’s protien to a 30 gram scoop. i think its one of the weirdest things i’ve ever heard of…

My .02- Pick up the whey (as long as it is cheap - not something that says it will JACK YOU UP AND MAKE YOU SWOLE!!! GRUNT!!!) and the egg as well. Mix milk (if you are not lactose intolerant) 1/2 scoop of whey and a full scoop of egg.

BEWARE!!! Egg protein can make your farts TOXIC!! Seriously- to the point where you might even gross yourself out. This is quite a feat since everyone know you don’t mind your own stench;)

Hank

For a slower digesting mix, Metabolic Drive is pretty tasty…