T Nation

Questions for Portland T-folks

Hey guys. Sorry if this gets a little long. I had a few questions for all you T-folks in Portland (and the rest of Oregon). I’m working on making it to the CT/MM Seminar in August. I’ll be coming up from Mobile, AL. What I’d like to do is make a week long vacation of the trip. My lil’ sister will actually be in Portland working an Art internship with a small place. She will be there until August 12, so I thought I’d come hang with her until then. After that, I was thinking of trying to see more of the state, and do a 2-day whitewater rafting trip, maybe on the Umpqua river, then get back to Portland for the seminar on Saturday. My questions are these:

1. Anyone have experience with whitewater rivers in Oregon and can give me suggestions on which rivers and/or outfitters are good?

2. Need a cheap place to stay for some of the days between the August 11 & 15. Not sure what days I’ll try to raft, and I’ll be camping on the river at least one night. Just looking for suggestions.

3. Suggestions on other sights in Portland that are “can’t miss” for the first-time visitor?

4. Transportation; I’ll probably need to rent a car for driving to the rafting, but how about around town in Portland? Good public transport? My sis will probably be able to help with this after spending the summer there.

That’s all I can think of for now, but I’ll post anything else I come up with. I appreciate any help you guys can give. Hopefully this will all come together, and I’ll see some of you guys at the seminar!!

Hey, Kong, great of you to be able to come on up!

Okay, I’m just gonna throw some answers out briefly right now. I’ll have more, when time allows, later.

As for transportation: Portland is not a city. But a BIG town. You can walk from one end to the other. Or hop a bus or MAX (our excellent light rail system). In other words, if you’re going to just stay in town, no need to rent a car. Also, for the MM/CT workshop, just give us a call, we’ll make sure you get there.

Around town, there’s the Portland Art Museum, Pearl District, Hawthorne (which is where we live), Zoo, and some excellent restaurants and brew pubs. Of course, there’s the place where Ko works: The Heathman. Just outside of Portland, there’s Multnomah Falls and waaaay outside of Portland is Hood River and a bit beyond and right across the river in Washington state is the Maryhill Museum with a excellent collection of Rodin scuptures as well as a mini replica of Stonehenge.

As for a inexpensive hotel, there are several. Depends on where you want to stay. Near where the workshop will be held? What about that hotel that MM had set up a deal with? I wonder if that’s still on?

Thanks Patricia!! I sure appreciate the help. As far as where to stay, I’ll probably need to wait until closer to time to figure that out. I think the Hotel that Mike set up is still on, so that could be a choice, at least for a couple of nights. I’ll need to gel the rest of my plans before taking care of the arrangements. I’m sure I’ll have more questions as time goes on. Thanks again!

Jamie aka/Kong

The Umpqua river is quite a long haul from Portland, 5 hours or so. I would look into rafting the Deschutes, it is 2-3 hours away. I will try to get some info for you.

Thanks ko. Mapquest said Roseburg is ~180 miles from Portland, and then another 40 miles to where the Outfitter is located for the Umpqua. I was thinking 3 1/2 hours for that trip. Mapquest can be misleading sometimes, though. I’ll look into Deschutes since it’s closer, although I don’t mind driving if I have the time. Don’t want to wear myself out too much before the seminar, though. :slight_smile: Thanks for any info that you find. You guys are awesome!!

Hi Kong,

I’ll second what Patricia had to say about public transportation in the city - the busses are excellent, the light rail is excellent, the trolly is excellent.

If you are visiting town for the first time, there are several things I would consider “must sees”, but this is the stuff I’m into:

Powell’s Books - one of the largest bookstores in the world, new and used, covers an entire city block and has a great coffeeshop. Just wandering around the different colored “zones” (its much larger than a home depot or other large store) is well worth it.

The Chinese Gardens: A newly finished Gardens in China Town that boast some of the most intricate woodworking and garden design on the west coast, downright beautiful.

Pioneer Place/Downtown Portland - on a good day in August, go stumble around downtown, stop at the Heathman for lunch, get Greek Food from a vendor, sit in Pioneer place and watch the people, sample some of Oregon’s amazing beers, etc.

I also have to agree with Ko, the Deschutes is far more accessible from Portland and a hell of a lot of fun. I’ve done several trips down there, I can get the info for you on where to put in. There is a real nice 17 mile stretch with 8 class 3/4 rapids, plus 1/2 mile hike-in there are natural rock waterslides that everyone loves. Camping is cheap and plentiful, fly-fishing is good, etc.

Aye, The Chinese Garden. HOW could I forget? May my Chinese ancestors NOT look down upon me in shame!

Thanks for adding that Rumbach. There’s also a nice Japanese Gardens by the Zoo. But that Chinese Garden is the largest in North America.

If you arrive on a Saturday, you also have time to check out the Saturday Market in Old Town (it’s also runs on Sunday). It’s a big, craftsy/artsy outdoor market. And yes, Powells (“City of Books”). Gotta go by Powells. If you want a preview, go to www.powells.com

Also, Oregon has NO sales tax. :-))

Hey Rumbach,
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll definitely look into all of those. If you know a good rafting outfitter for the Deschutes, I’d like to know. I’d just as soon go on a guided trip, maybe an overnighter if they have one. I’m a little out of whitewater “shape” since I moved to the coast 6 yrs ago. I used to kayak frequently, but haven’t been in that amount of time. Never done any rivers in the west, either, so that should be cool.

Btw, I’m gonna try some of your recipes! I’ve used brining before for chicken, without knowing what it was called. Lots of folks down here use a similar method to store/prepare fresh wild game as well. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve opened the fridge over the years to find quail, dove, squirrel, or some other game animal soaking in salt water. Thanks again!

Not much of a freakin’ “Saturday” market then is it?

:slight_smile:

“I think there is a world market for maybe five computers”

~ Thomas J. Watson

Thanks again to you, Patricia!! Looks like I’ll be busy if this trip all comes together. If any of you guys ever make it to the Gulf Coast, let me know and I’ll return the favor! Some of the most beautiful beaches in the US are not far from here…