T Nation

Questions for Cutting Calories

first of all, how do you adjust your calories from a bulking to a cutting diet? i’m currently bulking with about 3k cals a day and want to cut to lose about 10 pounds or so of fat. also on non-lifting/cardio days should i consume basically no carbs?

Whew…if this ain’t a loaded question…

There are many ways to go about doing this, and almost all of them work. You’ll have to experiment to find what works for you.

A couple of things to consider…

1. Do not immediately jump into a cutting cycle upon cessation of your bulk. Take maybe 2-4 weeks and eat at your maintenance calories so your body gets used to holding the extra muscle.

2. After eating at maintenance for a while, simply pick a fat loss plan and have at it. Most people here are fans of low-carb, high fat and moderate protein diets for fat loss. See Thib’s Refined Physique Transformation article for the lowdown.

reduce your cals very gradually. if you suddenly cut a huge amount of cals from your daily diet, your body think it’s starving and slows your metabolism down. try about 200 cals a week for the first 2 weeks or so…then another 100 for every week after until you reach your optimum number for fat loss. try around 500 below your maintenance number and that should yield a fat loss rate of 1 lb per week. and remember the reduction of cals in not only from food…also factor in any increased cardio you may do as well.

as for carbs, it depends on your particular level of carb tolerance. but on non-workout days i eat no complex carbs…only a bit of fruit with breakfast and lunch and try to avoid it in the evenings. that should be a basic plan to start with. of course every individual is different so you’ll have to experiment to see what works best for you.

really is variable based on your % BF… what is it?

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
Whew…if this ain’t a loaded question…

There are many ways to go about doing this, and almost all of them work. You’ll have to experiment to find what works for you.

A couple of things to consider…

1. Do not immediately jump into a cutting cycle upon cessation of your bulk. Take maybe 2-4 weeks and eat at your maintenance calories so your body gets used to holding the extra muscle.

2. After eating at maintenance for a while, simply pick a fat loss plan and have at it. Most people here are fans of low-carb, high fat and moderate protein diets for fat loss. See Thib’s Refined Physique Transformation article for the lowdown.[/quote]

hmm, So I think I’ll spend the next 3-4 weeks eating at maintenance, and then drop 100 calories a week until I hit around 2600, and see how it goes. Low carb seems to hard because I don’t see what you eat if your not eating carbs, they’re only so much protein/veggies I can eat, and its also not very practical for me because I’m in high school and can’t eat whenever I want to

[quote]1morerep wrote:
reduce your cals very gradually. if you suddenly cut a huge amount of cals from your daily diet, your body think it’s starving and slows your metabolism down. try about 200 cals a week for the first 2 weeks or so…then another 100 for every week after until you reach your optimum number for fat loss. try around 500 below your maintenance number and that should yield a fat loss rate of 1 lb per week. and remember the reduction of cals in not only from food…also factor in any increased cardio you may do as well.

as for carbs, it depends on your particular level of carb tolerance. but on non-workout days i eat no complex carbs…only a bit of fruit with breakfast and lunch and try to avoid it in the evenings. that should be a basic plan to start with. of course every individual is different so you’ll have to experiment to see what works best for you. [/quote]

thank you, good advice

[quote]challer1 wrote:
really is variable based on your % BF… what is it?[/quote]

haven’t had it tested in a while but I’d estimate ~16-17%