Questions for AD Vets

I tried to send a PM to DH ( dunno where he is) as he is very knowledgable and speaks to Mauro. However, I hope some of you guys will be able to help…

I wish to commence the AD, but have some issues - I hope you can explode these myths,if they are, or help in some way.

My worries with this diet are :

1. That fruit is minimal, because of its carb content - but surely we need some antioxidant input?? And there are minerals/vitamins needed in them???

2. Other experts say DON’T saturate one pathway - i.e. vary the proportions of carb/prot/fat each day (Art deVaney and others) as there are long term health problems ( not specified). Or is it that we are not saturating them, as the weekend carb ups act as that variation?

3. At least one bodybuilder(Scott Abel) claims that Carb loading can’t work (something to do with glycogen being stored in the liver - very little in muscles)

4. The ‘new’ work on Leptin ( Mastering Leptin) claims that three meals a day is better as ‘3 hours after eating insulin levels should be lower. As it falls, glucagon rises. This is a true fat-burning time. It is when the liver, the metabolic factory of the body, kicks into high gear.’ p130 - DO NOT SNACK BETWEEN MEALS - LEAVE 5 -6 HOURS BETWEEN FEEDS!!!

I appreciate any help you can give me, and understand that I’ve probably picked up a lot of misconceptions, myths and bull. Feel free to shoot down any of the names and references as I’ve only picked them up on the way and need to drop those that will not help me.

Thanks in advance
Alin

you can get the vitamins/minerals in fruit from a variety of veggies. If you’re worried, supplement with Superfood. Also, it’s not like you’re giving up all fruit for the rest of your life, hopefully anyways.

Take a look at the vast majority of people who eat 3 times/day, then look at those who eat 5-8 meals a day, who is leaner? Leptin levels may be important, but there are factors to consider as well.

The ideas are basically like religions, you choose which one to believe. If you only eat 3 times a day and you need 3500 cals a day, thats about a 1200 calorie meal 3x day. Personally I think this increases the chances of fat storage by your body as opposed to eating 7 500 calorie meals.

[quote]alin wrote:

1. That fruit is minimal, because of its carb content - but surely we need some antioxidant input?? And there are minerals/vitamins needed in them???[/quote]

Every plant has antioxidants. It’s not like there’s something magical about fruit. The AD allows for plenty of veggies, and even fruit if you want it as long as you keep it under 30g a day. Also, add in superfood if you’re paranoid.

This sounds pretty stupid to be honest with you. The part about the problems being “unspecified” should tell you that. Our bodies are always actively trying to maintain a state of homeostasis, so why would a chaotic food intake be beneficial?

Unless you come across some solid evidence for that, it’s bull.

True life experiance of many, many lifters would indicate this to be otherwise. No matter how good the science looks, if real life contradicts it, it’s bad science.

[quote]4. The ‘new’ work on Leptin ( Mastering Leptin) claims that three meals a day is better as ‘3 hours after eating insulin levels should be lower. As it falls, glucagon rises. This is a true fat-burning time. It is when the liver, the metabolic factory of the body, kicks into high gear.’ p130 - DO NOT SNACK BETWEEN MEALS - LEAVE 5 -6 HOURS BETWEEN FEEDS!!!
[/quote]

That is true in regards to carb consumption. However, insulin is also stimulated by protein consumption, since it is needed to drive amino acids into tissue. But insulin is non-discriminatory, so it will lower blood sugar levels. To maintain blood sugar levels, the body will ramp up production of glucagon during this period to keep BS levels steady.

Carbs = Lots of insulin, no glucagon.
Protein = Lots of insulin, lots of glucagon.
Fats = No effect on insulin or glucagon.

Hope this helped.

Brilliant - it helps me very much. Thank you, all of you.

Alin

P.S. Does anyone know what’s happened to Disk Hoss?

Anyone can correct me if I’m wrong, as I am saying this completely out of what I “think” I remember and have not looked it up, but doesn’t the muscle have the capacity to hold around 400g of carbs whereas the liver stores around 100g.