Questions About Training

Post away.

Thib,

2 questions.

The floor press: you mentioned you don’t see this as being triceps-dominant in the same vein as board and pin presses. I was wondering if you could explain why that may be the case. I definitely trust you and am merely curious as to the specifics.

Arm-over-arm rope pulls: for biceps development, do you see these as a constant tension/volume type fit in programming? Heavy loading is possible, but there’s no eccentric damage, so this had me wondering how these might best fit.

P.S. Obviously you are beyond generous to answer questions in your limited free time, so I am wondering if you would prefer if people try to limit posting questions in multiple “Thib” forums at the same time. I just want to be sure of proper etiquette so that I do not make any exorbitant and disrespectful demands of you. You always have me thinking, but I also recognize that you have many other folks to get to and only so much time that you are able to spend online.

Haha, I appreciate the quick response. Ill rethink my question, tool around with it a bit, and re-post when I get my shit together.

[quote]ThetfordMiner wrote:
Thib,

2 questions.

The floor press: you mentioned you don’t see this as being triceps-dominant in the same vein as board and pin presses. I was wondering if you could explain why that may be the case. I definitely trust you and am merely curious as to the specifics. [/quote]

It’s mostly a thing of range of motion. In the average lifter, the beginning position of a floor press is somewhere within the first half of the pressing movement. Obviously guys with a thicker torso and/or shorter arms will start closer to the starting position of a ‘real’ bench press whereas a slender dude with a frail torso and long arms might actually be starting the floor press somewhere in the top half of the exercise.

That’s why I mention that the floor press, for most individuals, will not be only a triceps exercise. Heck, most guys will start in a position where either the chest or shoulders will have to work extra hard to vanquish inertia.

However it is true that for slender, long-limbed individuals, the floor press might become triceps dominant.

As for pin presses, it depends on the starting height. If you put the pins so that the bar is 1’’ from the chest it will become a killer chest exercise. But pin presses are normally done to overload, so lifts are generally performed from somewhere within the top half of the bench press.

Arm-over-arm rope pulls: for biceps development, do you see these as a constant tension/volume type fit in programming? Heavy loading is possible, but there’s no eccentric damage, so this had me wondering how these might best fit.[/quote]

I see it more as a general physical preparedness exercise than anything. Something along the lines of sled dragging, prowler pushing, tire flipping, etc.

P.S. Obviously you are beyond generous to answer questions in your limited free time, so I am wondering if you would prefer if people try to limit posting questions in multiple “Thib” forums at the same time. I just want to be sure of proper etiquette so that I do not make any exorbitant and disrespectful demands of you. You always have me thinking, but I also recognize that you have many other folks to get to and only so much time that you are able to spend online. [/quote]

Either way is fine
 either put your question in one of the existing threads if you think that it fits. Or start a new one. The later option will eventually become better as this forum becomes more popular, it will b easier to complete post searches.

[quote]JimDoerflinger wrote:
Coach,

Beginner question for ya!

I currently follow a three day a week upper/lower split routine with 4-5 exercises per day.

A typical day may look like

Upper:
A1 Incline Barbell Press
A2 Bent over row
B1 Wide grip lat pulldown
B2 seated dumbell shoulder press
C Side plank

or

Lower:
A Squat
B1 Reverse Barbell Lunge
B2 Dumbbell Romanian dead lift
C Plank

While this program has been put together by a respected individual on this site, I was wondering what your experience with three day programs is, and if you would recommend something different, such as more days, intensity, etc.

Small background, I am 6ft 180, approx 12%bf, and typically follow something similar to the Anabolic diet (low carb), with the exception of carbs pre and post workout. Total calories average 4200 per day. I currently looking to just pack on muscle, as I am still extremely small for my height.

Thanks!
-Jim

[/quote]

This is not a program. It’s a collection of exercises. Loading parameters (sets, reps, rest intervals, training methods, how close to failure, etc.) are much more important to me when assessing a program.

CT,

I been following a 3 days a week, full body routine, doing a deadlift variation at every workout because of lack of squat support, I been concentrating on improving my strength and its been going great, but now Im thinking of doing a fat loss phase, I would like to use a split a found in one of your post that has a daily workout break down of :
Strength work
Metabolic pairings
Low energy work.

I still would like to do a full body approach,3xweek, what guidelines would you recommend on setxreps in order to not lose muscle and still keep my strength with this approach? I was planning on a 3x5 on the powerlifts each day, or do you think a upper /lower split will be better, like in you destroying fat article.

Thanks

CT,

When doing traditional deadlifts, I like using a mixed grip since it allows my grip to last longer without having to use straps. However, I find that when doing an underhand position for the left hand and an overhand position for the right hand, I am much more comfortable and can typically do an additional rep when compared to reversing the grip (overhand for left and underhand for right). Regardless, I force myself to switch grip positions to prevent an imbalance though it seems there already is an imbalance.

Should I be concerned that one of the grip positions is much easier for me and do something to try to correct it?

Thanks!

Coach,
LOVE the new section - all your ENDLESS knowledge filled threads won’t be lost in the pile of other threads.

Many training protocols have a simple 1-2 sets of high and fast reps to ‘wake up the CNS’ before they lead into their stimulation exercise.
i.e.
40~%1RM 15~reps - fast reps
pyramid up %1RM as decrease reps

But I’ve read your recent book where you have recommended up to 4 sets of a weighted activation exercise - on a unstable surface of some type usually.

–Is the theory and use of the 1-2 sets of high quick reps to ‘wake up CNS’ absolute rubbish?

If so I will start to work in 2 sets of weighted activation exercises before my stimulation exercises of that body part. I just really feel 3-4 sets weighted or 3-4 sets body weight max reps, will take too much out of me before my bread and butter stimulation exercises -that might be flawed thinking by me.

Thanks Thibs!
-Dave

[quote]retailboy wrote:
Coach,
LOVE the new section - all your ENDLESS knowledge filled threads won’t be lost in the pile of other threads.

Many training protocols have a simple 1-2 sets of high and fast reps to ‘wake up the CNS’ before they lead into their stimulation exercise.
i.e.
pyramid up %1RM as decrease reps

But I’ve read your recent book where you have recommended up to 4 sets of a weighted activation exercise - on a unstable surface of some type usually.

–Is the theory and use of the 1-2 sets of high quick reps to ‘wake up CNS’ absolute rubbish?

If so I will start to work in 2 sets of weighted activation exercises before my stimulation exercises of that body part. I just really feel 3-4 sets weighted or 3-4 sets body weight max reps, will take too much out of me before my bread and butter stimulation exercises -that might be flawed thinking by me.

Thanks Thibs!
-Dave[/quote]

Three things can activate the CNS:

1. Unstable exercises
 but I find that these have a much lesser effect than research had initially shown, probably due to the low force output.

2. Explosive lifting 
 but in this case I profoundly dislike doing so many reps. I prefer to do more high speed sets of few reps with progressively heavier weights. Those who perform those quick ‘bunch of reps’ usually have no quality, bad technique, no focus, etc. It does nothing positive for performance.

3. Heavy lifting
 for example, doing sets of heavy partials before doing the full lift

Coach,

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer everyone’s questions, and I’m glad that you were given your own subforum because searching through your Q&A threads was damn near impossible!

Two weeks ago, I purchased Get Jacked Fast and all the required supplements. However, recently I’ve had a change of heart and have decided to focus on gaining as much strength and muscle mass as possible while limiting fat gains. Is your program still suitable for these goals? If not, would it be with a few tweaks (notably, eating more and/or cutting out some interval work to keep my CNS as fresh as possible)?

Thanks, Coach!

Joe

[quote]jo3 wrote:
Coach,

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer everyone’s questions, and I’m glad that you were given your own subforum because searching through your Q&A threads was damn near impossible!

Two weeks ago, I purchased Get Jacked Fast and all the required supplements. However, recently I’ve had a change of heart and have decided to focus on gaining as much strength and muscle mass as possible while limiting fat gains. Is your program still suitable for these goals? If not, would it be with a few tweaks (notably, eating more and/or cutting out some interval work to keep my CNS as fresh as possible)?

Thanks, Coach!

Joe[/quote]

Drop the interval work.

Add one of the para-workout nutrition protocol I discussed earlier.

Depending on your rate of gains, increase carbs during the rest of the day.

The workouts themselves are fine when it comes to building strength.

Hey CT,
Whenever i do chin ups or pull ups i rarely feel my lats working, mostly my biceps n forearms. But with the lat pulldown i can really contract and feel my lat muscles working much more. Since i have done this switch up i have added much more size to my high inserting lats. But my question is should i still keep the pull up/chin up and its variation for any reason?

I train as a competetive bodybuilder and amonly really interested in making my muscles grow.

I train back twice a week, and use weighted pull-ups with a semi wide grip on one day, wide-grip pulldowns on the other. I can move significantly more weight on the pulldowns with a double-d handle, which exercise do you think I should choose for back width?

Hey Coach,

Hope all is well with yourself and your family.

I’ve been reading all this new information and it’s fairly mind-blowing. Your strength levels appear to be increasing exponentially, would you mind posting more of your own training, your lifts, your training partner’s lifts etc. I appreciate you can’t talk about the program too much, but learning what real strength is is very motivational when you train in a commercial centre.

I take it that the new program that you guys are working on has a significant strength portion? Would the program be suitable for strength and power athletes as well as aesthetic-minded individuals?

Thanks in advance for any help/insight that you may provide.

Best wishes as always,

James

Coach Thib,

I have a question regarding your program ‘Reality Show Mass Circuit’. I really love it very much because it is fun and not time consuming. I am able to do it 3 times a week(usually Mon/Wed/Fri). Due to lack of time I do these workouts in the morning. In your article you mentioned it is ok to substituate these exercises with similar ones. So I wanted to ask you is it ok to alternate between two different workouts like this:

Workout 1:
A1) Incline Bench Press
Abs
A2) Muscle Clean
Abs
A3) Push Press
Abs
A4) Snatch-Grip Deadlift

Workout 2:
A1) Weighted Push-Ups (should I substituate it with other press-movement?)
Abs
A2) Muscle Snatch
Abs
A3) Lumberjack Squat + Corner Press
Abs
A4) Duck-Feet Snatch-Grip Deadlift

Thanks in Advance,
Ace

P.S.: Sorry if my English is bad.

[quote]JJP wrote:
Hey Coach,

Hope all is well with yourself and your family.

I’ve been reading all this new information and it’s fairly mind-blowing. Your strength levels appear to be increasing exponentially, would you mind posting more of your own training, your lifts, your training partner’s lifts etc. I appreciate you can’t talk about the program too much, but learning what real strength is is very motivational when you train in a commercial centre.

I take it that the new program that you guys are working on has a significant strength portion? Would the program be suitable for strength and power athletes as well as aesthetic-minded individuals?

Thanks in advance for any help/insight that you may provide.

Best wishes as always,

James[/quote]

I talked to Nate Green about this; although I designed the system primarily to build as much muscle as fast as possible, I’m stronger now then when I was competing as an olympic lifter.

And the basic premise of the whole system is to maximize fast-twitch muscle fibers recruitment and stimulation. This will obviously lead to great power and strenght gains too.

Coach,

My arms have nor grown in over a year, i have added weight and size every were else as well as strength on movements but still nothing on my arms. ive tried high reps, low reps, drop sets, supersets, reverse curls, hammer curls, chins ect. please help me

[quote]xsquatx wrote:
Hey CT,
Whenever i do chin ups or pull ups i rarely feel my lats working, mostly my biceps n forearms. But with the lat pulldown i can really contract and feel my lat muscles working much more. Since i have done this switch up i have added much more size to my high inserting lats. But my question is should i still keep the pull up/chin up and its variation for any reason?

I train as a competetive bodybuilder and amonly really interested in making my muscles grow.[/quote]

I always find it funny how some people see exercises as either being unavoidable if you want to make even the shadow of a gain or completely useless.

No exercise is universally required nor universally pointless. Nowadays you almost get laughed at for being a pussy if you don’t squat, deadlift, overhead press and do pull-ups. On the other hand some will get the ‘‘softcore trainee’’ label if they even think about adding leg a leg press, les extension or cross-over!

YES there are exercises that are more likely to be effective at putting overall mass on a lot of peoples. But that doesn’t mean that they will work optimally for everybody.

I can get huge legs by only squatting (for 5 years that was my sole lower body exercise along with front squats) and never gained anything from a leg press. My friend is the opposite, he can squat til the cows come home and his legs wont budge an inch but gains great from a leg press.

The point I’m making is that you should focus on those exercises that you know work for you.

CT care to offer a critique?

Goal: Muscle Gain
Training Age: Only “serious” since November '08. Previously was a pretty good marathon runner (2:32 pr)
Progress: 145lb 8.9% bf before starting. 165 9.5% bf two weeks ago. (7-site skinfold, same technician)
Set/Rep Scheme: 4 sets, 4 Exercises (1 warmup set to 10 reps, 2 work sets to 10 reps, 1 last set add 20-40lbs and just go, usually 4-6 reps). Example: Bench, warmup then: 135x10, 165x10, 165x8-10, 185x6. 5th exercise, 3 sets, some sort of extended set (mechanical drops, regular drops, or just an extended exercise)
Rest: 60-90s if isolation (bi/tri), 90-120s if compound (any leg day approaches 120s)

Program: Been following this for about 4 weeks (I tend to change program every 6-8 weeks or until progress has slowed/halted)

Monday: Chest/Shoulders
A1) Flat Bench
A2) Seated Bent Arm Lateral Raise

B1) Incline DB Press ‘4 Bells’
B2) Seated Crossed Arm Cable Flye w/squeeze

C1) 3-Angle press

Tuesday: Quad dominant
A1) Squat
A2) Leg Extension

B1-2) Split Squat, front foot on 4in step

C1) 3 Position Leg press (lo-close, normal, hi-wide)

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Back
A1) Rack Pull (from knees)
A2) Incline Eagle Pulldown

B1) Motorcycle or ‘leaning forward’ Seated Row
B2) Cable Pullover on Stability Ball

C1) Pullups Wide to Narrow (5/5/5 with band assist if need be)

Friday: Hammie dominant
A1) RDL w/balls of feet on plate
A2) Natural glute-ham raise

B1) Cable Pull-thru
B2) 2-1 Leg Curl

B3) Walking Toe Lunge

Saturday: Bi/Ti
A1) Neutral Close Chin up
A2) Weighted Dips

B1) Incline DB Seated OH Extension
B2) Concentration Hammer Curl (bilateral, knees wide, DBs in)

C1) Tri Pressdown (w/bar, not rope) “Run the Plates”
C2) Standing EZ Curl “Run the Rack”

Sunday: Off

Lotta info
I type fast

Diet:

Currently:
Carbs .5 x bw
Fat .5 x bw
Protein 2 x bw
*Prescribed by a BioSig Practioner I work with.

General Plan:
6:30 Pre-Breakfast: 25g whey protein (not a “site sponsored product” so I’ll leave out the brand)
7:00 Breakfast: 4 eggs and some meat
10:00 Mid-morning snack: usually 4tb natural peanut butter, 25g wp
1:00 meat and veggies, usually chicken breast or ground turkey
2:30 25g wp
3-4: workout
4:00 50g wp then usually baked sweet potato or some other source of carbs (about 50-75g)
8:00 dinner, meat and veggies

So the idea is some carbs in the morning (say 25% total) then after workout (say 75% total). A big protein spike peri-workout and pre-breakfast spike.

Had been following a more “carb cycling” approach for about 8 weeks where the calories were almost twice a high (3500-4500, up to 5000 some days) and the carbs fluctuated between 150-350 with protein around 300g and fat around 200g. Then before that it was a “lower carb” approach (150g carb and 250-300g protein, 3000-3500c)