Sleep–how much needed and how to do well with less?
I’ve been reading a few articles on the topic and can’t get any complete details. I’m fine with sleep now, and have been for most of my life, but once grad school starts I have a feeling I’ll have a hard time doing everything I need to and want to do and sleep more than, say, 6 hours a night.
It seems like people need different amounts too, which is odd. And there’s that study that showed that about 6.5 is optimal and above or below that results in a higher death rate
I’m wondering as to:
- What do you guys think is optimal?
- How much harm is there for going down to 7 or 6 or 5?
- How would I minimize the hormonal and other body composition and strength harms of that sleep deprivation?
- How would I avoid damage to my concentration ability with less sleep?
- The above questions but for acute, rather than chronic sleep deprivation (like say I would get 6 hours on average, but then one night I have to do a project, or I pull a one-night-stand and end up sleeping very little, like 3 hours or so)
Note: I can never fall asleep in the day for a nap, regardless of how little sleep I’ve had, so that’s not really a good option, nor that feasible