Questions about RE Work for Size

Ive been making some observations on my new training program and wanted to see if anyone else has noticed the same thing.

Now I know, soreness doesn’t mean size, but the fact that Ive been getting pretty sore lately isn’t a bad thing.

So previously I was more into TBT that was a bit higher frequency. And I normally stuck with lower reps like 3-6. So i didn’t make any huge changes, but now do more of a full body split.

Basically im training 3 days per week in the gym and the workouts are full body, but either have an emphasis on push, or an emphasis on pull. And its an A-B split so it alternates each time.

I wont get into the specifics of what im doing, but my push emphasis goes something like this.

A)Bench 3x5 or 5x3

B) Full body circuit (something like squat, push press, Row)

C) Pushups 2xAMRAP

Not very different than what I was doing before, but all of the sudden im getting crazy sore. The only thing I can think of is its the high rep pushups at the end of the workout.

So my questions are:

1. Anyone had success with focusing on increasing weight in a main movement (ME bench), and then ending the workout with some RE work for similar muscles (pushups)?

2. Do you think these two methods should be used in the same workout/same cycle, or should you do phases of heavy/lower rep, and phases of lighter/higher reps?

3. For RE work on something like pushups, would you start adding weight when you reach a certain rep range, or just always do AMRAP with BW? And this would be assuming you are doing the ME work at the beginning of the workout.

4. What exercises have you had the best success with for RE work? ( I have found pushups, pullups, BW row, and shoulder raises to be good so far, but may start including arms soon)

Just some random thoughts, but i’d like to here if others do anything similar.

1. Yes I do it all the time and I’ve been making great progress lately.

2. Yes so long as you don’t overdo it on the RE. It should basically just be a method at the end of your workout to shove blood into the area, not so much setting a PR.

3. I would stick with bodyweight and go til you can’t go anymore for a few quick sets.

4. Bodyweight stuff or stuff you can do on machines works pretty well for me. I don’t know about pullups, maybe pull downs.