Questions About Peri-Workout Nutrition

Coach,

On the Anaconda protocol, what are you doing regarding post-workout nutrition? I know with the old protocol you recommended whey pulses 15mins and 90mins after. Is this necessary with the new protocol?

Sorry if this has already been asked. Thanks.

[quote]tcarlock wrote:
Coach,

On the Anaconda protocol, what are you doing regarding post-workout nutrition? I know with the old protocol you recommended whey pulses 15mins and 90mins after. Is this necessary with the new protocol?

Sorry if this has already been asked. Thanks. [/quote]

It’s not ‘necessary’ because by the end of the workout you still have amino acids present in the bloodstream. I would recommend a pulse 45-60 minutes afterwards, but that also is not mendatory for success, although it will help slightly.

So Thibs, I just recemtly purchased and finished reading your book “High-Threshold Muscle Building” and purchased many supplements before the ANACONDA Protocol had been released, which in my opinion I am not ready for anyway. I have been lifting 5 times a week and now for the new year my days looks like this

Currently purchased: BCAA, Flameout, Grow! Whey, Surge Recovery, Metabolic Drive, Creatine, Metabolic Drive Bars. Also have half tube of Surge Workout Fuel currently not using.

Wake up 530 AM: 3-BCAA, 1 scoop Grow, 1-Flameout, 5g Creatine
8 AM: Breakfast
930 AM: Metabolic Drive Bar
1130: Lunch
2 PM: 3-BCAA, 1-Flameout
4 PM: Metabolic Drive Bar
6 PM: Dinner
7 PM: peri workout: 3-BCAA, 1 scoop Metabolic Drive, 5g Creatine
durring: 4-BCAA
after: 3-BCAA, 2 scoop Surge Recovery, 5g Creatine
930 PM: ABB Mass Gainer Drink
Sleep
Repeat

I’m 24yr old, 6’2", 190lbs and I’m getting around 3700 calories a day.

It seem this thread has turned into ANACONDA peri workout, but how about this setup of other Biotest supplements.

Oh and the workouts are kicking my ass in a good way!

Hello Coach,

I have recieved the Anaconda Protocol as a gift but don’t know if I am “ready” for it. I am about 165 lbs at 8-10% bodyfat and have been restricting carb intake to green vegetables.

My caloric intake is about 1,800-2,000. I keep my fat intake between 80-90 grams, and my protein intake to 250 grams. I know these numbers need to go up but am not sure if it is as simple as upping my fat, protein, and carb intake.

Should I jump into the Anaconda Protocol once a week with a reduced dose of FINiBARs or do the amino pulsing protocol with some clean carbs for the first half of the day? I also have both Surge products at my disposal.

I have uncertainty deciding because I have read a lot about peoples increased recovery from the anaconda product and wondered if I would be waisting it since I might not be needing the extra capacity. I am trying to duplicate ramping my nervous system better each workout instead of pummeling my body with high volumes of work of 20+ sets like I used to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated Coach. Thank you.

Located in Belgium.
Born 1974, training (for esthetic muscle mass) since 1990.
Reading T-nation since 1998.
Length 172cm
May 2015 got to chubby/bulky at 82kg, dieted down to 65kg (November 2015).
Now (of course:sunglasses:) only want to gain lean muscle mass.
April 2016 on 67kg BF 13,4%

I recently ordered and got Indigo3G since this is something I really wanna try and we can not get this here locally.
Of course we can get all sorts of protein/carbs/vitamines/supplements here locally. This is why I only order the “specials” on Biotest, like I used the Myostatin in 2003.

But I still have a lot of questions regarding my peri-workout nutrition and since I trust T-Nation so much I rather have your ideas on the matter than the ideas of the local sellers.

I take Universal Animal Pack every morning, as some Tribulus, Omega3, CLA and Carnitine + 30g whey protein first thing.

Pre-workout I use:
Bodylab Concentrated pre-workout
10 grams

Bodylab BCAA capsules
2 caps

Bodylab F-burner
2 caps

Intra-workout I use:
Bodylab Intra-workout
25g

Post-workout:
30g whey protein and within the hour a carb containing meal.

What are your thoughts on the pre- and intra-intake?
Seems to me low in protein and carbs

If I compare to your Plazma

Would taking whey protein pre-workout be a better idea?

I workout 3x full body (Tuesday-Friday-Sunday) per week, with a lot of times “Off Day Bonus Workout- complexes”.

Please can you give me some objective thoughts on the nutrition?
(I am an MD, PhD myself, so you can go all scientific with me :slight_smile: )

Thanks.

PLAZMA would be such a special order worth ordering since it’s not just another protein and other carbs. The protein is di and tri-peptides of casein hydrolysate, likely the fastest absorbed protein available. The carbs is highly branched cyclic dextrins which also have special properties. Finally the electrolyte balance (one of the most important element forperformance and recovery) is just perfect.You cannot really replicate the product with other ingredients.

Anyway,back to your question.

PRE workout you should load your body with protein and carbs.

Why? Several reasons:

1. Glycogen depletion raises AMPK which in turns inhibit mTor. MTor is the switch that activates protein synthesis. By inhibiting mTor you thus inhibit protein synthesis too. Proividing carbs pre-workout will make glucose readily available when you train, protecting glycogen stores.

2. Insulin potentiate mTor activation. So having carbs pre-workout will increase the mTor response to training, which will lead to more protein synthesis.

3. Certain amino acids also contribute to increasing the mTor response. Leucine being the most effective one.Casein (as in diand tri peptides of casein hydrolysate) is the full protein with the highest ratio of leucine.

4. When you are training up to 92% of the blood flow is redirected to the muscles (versus 6% at rest). Specifrically it is mostly directed to the muscles being trained. If the blood is loaded with protein/amino acids you are sending these directly to the muscles you are training, making them more easily available for protein synthesis.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your reply, CT.
Since I am reading T-Nation over 15years, it is really an honor for me having you answering my questions.
I realize by now my “pre-workout” is just stimulating, not loading with nutrients at all.
After years of reading about the Biotest products and not finding anything similar locally, I guess you are very right. I cannot replicate Plazma, Mag-10 or Indigo-3G with anything locally, so I will order right away after this reply.
I already got the Indigo-3G.
I shall order the Plazma, Mag-10, Flameout and ZMA as well.

I learned: Indigo-3G workout-45min, Plazma workout-15min (and second dose intra-workout) and Mag-10 post-workout.

Should I take Creatin immediately before workout (workout-2min) as well?
(I shall stop the ‘stimulating’ ‘pre-workout’ when I start the Biotest products of course)

2 min is too short a time for it to be absorbed and available. Honestly it doesn’t matter when you take it as long as you take one dose before the workout (at least 1 hour before) and ideally one dose after to replenish stores.

So on workout days my scheme turns into this:

Creatin 5g workout-60min
Indigo-3G workout-45min
Plazma workout-15min

Second dose Plazma intra-workout

Mag-10 post-workout + 5g Creatin

2 more questions:

1. Where do the BCAA capsules fit in? (Pre/intra/post?)
  2. A carb rich post workout meal within 6 hours of taking the Indigo-3G? What kind of carbs: oats, rice, bread, pasta
? Or doesn’t it matter? Or is alternating best?

[quote=“foxpowerbasement, post:1130, topic:129815”]
Creatin 5g workout-60minIndigo-3G workout-45minPlazma workout-15min

Second dose Plazma intra-workout

Mag-10 post-workout + 5g Creatin[/quote]

Yeah, looks good.

1. BCAAs aren’t really needed when using PLAZMA since it contains the full spectrum of amino acids. Furthermore, the really effective BCAA is leucine. And since PLAZMA is made of casein hydrolysate, leucine content is very high. And because it is di and tri peptides it is actually absorbed just as fast as leucine and BCAAs. You can add BCAAs if you want but they are not necessary.

2. Indigo 3-G has cellular effect for much longer than we originally thought. The meal doesn’t have to be 6 hours, it improves insulin sensitivity for the whole day. Rather I would time the big carb meal to fall about 90 minutes after your workout.

1 Like

Thanks, CT, I cannot wait to receive my order and start the Indigo-3G/Plazma/MAG-10 combo!

Hi Christian,
I was wondering what kind of post workout nutrition you’d recommend for growth factor sessions. If you’re consuming pre/intraworkout carbs and protein, what should your nutrition look like afterwards? I’m curious because you’ve said the growth factor sessions don’t activate mTOR like heavy lifting does, or induce a high amount of mechanical stress. Thanks!

I don<t think I mentioned that they don<t activate mTor as much. But it is true that they place less stress.

I would still use the same peri-workout protocol. In theory you might not need as much protein post-session but I believe that it will still be beneficial.

Honestly there is not need to try to be so procise with peri-workout nutrition. There really isn’t a lot of variance between what will work optimally for various types of lifting workouts. And if there is the difference in result will be insignificant. Just get the nutrients in you.

Thank you Christian!

Hi CT, first i want to thank you for all the interest you put on giving advice for people, i honestly think you’re one of the top coach of the moment, if it’s not the one!
So, “j’arrĂȘte de vous jeter des fleurs” ( hope you didn’t forget yout origins! ) let’s talk real shit!
I think that the biotest brand cannot be replace but i cannot buy this brand

So mi workout-protocol in 2 a day training consist of:

-1h/1h30:20gr of soy lecithin before the first-workout for the phosphatidic acid
-45/30 min 40gr palatinose with 15gr peptopro and 5gr of leucine slipping until the workout begin
-W:30gr peptopro with 50gr of dextrose and 5gr leucine
+45-60: 5 gr leucine and 5gr of creatine and 10 min after 15gr of peptopro and 1gr of vitamin C

I use this protocol for each workout except i add some magnesium for the second workout of the day.
I was thinking off adding some citrulline do you think that it would be better than soy lecithin if i had to make a choice since i train pretty heavy ( following currently a remake of your look lile a bodybuilder, perform like an athlete program and utilizing your 4 paths to strength article to make my program ) and what do you suggest me to add if budget was not an issue ( like electrolytes or other? )
Finally, do you still recommend low protein days and do you thinl that cycling carb and fats as energy source could be great to maintain a good insulin sensitivity or i should just eat carbs without getting fat and don’t care about this much?

Hope you have great week-end and tell you all my recognition for all your effort, would love to be one of your athlete one day!

soy lecithin is actually fine for phosphatidic acid. One of the authors (Dr. Wilson I believe) even said this was a fine source for PA
 obviously pills are more convenient but lecithin is far cheaper and you only need 2-4 tbsp pre-workout

I know, i know , it’s why i use it but i asking myself if ( because it’s fats ) it’s will slow down the absorption of the protocol and make loose it all the benefits

10-15g fat 1 hr pre workout is fine. But you are right, you will need to account for these in your macros.

Hope Thibaudeau is on the same thinking.
Of course i do ( for the macros ).
By the way, do you know an other source of phosphatidic acid without the problem of phyto-estrogens?

Honestly I didn’t know there was a problem with phytoestrogens and lecithin granules. Are you sure about that?