Questions About Peri-Workout Nutrition

With a 5am workout and typically getting up at 4:30am, how would you prescribe a peri/paraworkout nutrition program for someone who is primarily trying to lose fat. I have about 20lbs to lose of a 6’2" frame. I would really like to focus on the fatloss while maintaining as much muscle as I can.

I have been having subprime workouts, I know, due to my nutrition status this early. I have NO options for working out at another time, so I need to maximize my 5am workouts. I can get up (somewhat) earlier, but there is a point where sleep would become an issue. I get to bed around 9-9:30 and do very well getting up at 4:30.

While Money is NOT NO object… it is not the main object. I am willing to get whatever would be realistically USEFUL.

Currently I am eating about 250g protein/day. 100 or so just AFTER my morning workout.

I realize after reading over and over this site… I need some help.

Bought Anaconda Protocol and will try to manipulate it around the schedule. Going to leave off the FINiBARs though, see if I can diminish the carb calories. Adding on HOT-ROX as well. Hopefully, I will be able to hold onto what I gained this summer and fall.

On the ANACONDA protocol page it says that 3 scoops of ANACONDA contains 90g of total protein in 3 scoops and the MAG-10 contains 38g in 2 scoops yet the nutrition labels state that in 1 scoop of each there is 10g of protein. Am I missing something here?

jhlrees wrote:
I think I must be missing something. If each scoop/serving of either the ANACONDA or MAG-10 has 10g of protein, and there are 5 scoops/servings to be consumed during the peri-workout protocol then surely this is 50g of protein? The Finibars add 39g, so this seems to add up to 89g. Where is the 167g figure coming from? I’m sure I’ve misunderstood something somewhere, could someone please clarify/correct me?

Thanks

No worries.

In addition to the “whole” proteins in the protocol (listed on the Supplement Facts panel), it contains loads of individual amino acids.

For instance, 2 scoops of Anaconda contains almost 8.5 grams of L-Leucine, 5.6 grams of L-Glutamine, 2.6 grams of L-Proline, 2.1 grams of L-Lysine, and on and on and on.

Add them all up and you get 167 grams of proteins/amino acids.

[quote]ca68ne wrote:
jhlrees wrote:
I think I must be missing something. If each scoop/serving of either the ANACONDA or MAG-10 has 10g of protein, and there are 5 scoops/servings to be consumed during the peri-workout protocol then surely this is 50g of protein? The Finibars add 39g, so this seems to add up to 89g. Where is the 167g figure coming from? I’m sure I’ve misunderstood something somewhere, could someone please clarify/correct me?

Thanks

No worries.

In addition to the “whole” proteins in the protocol (listed on the Supplement Facts panel), it contains loads of individual amino acids.

For instance, 2 scoops of Anaconda contains almost 8.5 grams of L-Leucine, 5.6 grams of L-Glutamine, 2.6 grams of L-Proline, 2.1 grams of L-Lysine, and on and on and on.

Add them all up and you get 167 grams of proteins/amino acids.
[/quote]

Holy crap that’s insane I didn’t realize it contained so many free form aminos. Thanks for that post, I guess I missed that somehow.

Iam interested in the Anaconda protocol, but I think it might not be what I need. Right now, I’m trying to put on some mass and gain strength because I’m looking too small (6’2" 204lbs). However, I’m not really aspiring to “bodybuilding” per se; rather, my focus is to be strong, athletic, and have good mobility. Basically, I use a half serving of Surge during my workout and a full serving after. That, and along w/ BCAAs and Metabolic Drive make up my peri-workout nutrition. Any help would be great.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

If you can’t get Anaconda the protocols to do are as follow:

PROTOCOL 1 (1-3 times per week, when working on a weak area)
Workout - 60 = Alpha-GPC
W - 40 = 1 FINiBAR
W - 30 = 2 scoops Surge Workout Fuel
W - 15 = 2 scoops Surge Recovery
During workout (early half) = 1 FINiBAR
During workout (later half) = 1 scoop Surge Workout Fuel
W + 15 = Grow! Whey 2 scoops
W + 90 minutes = Grow! Whey 2 scoops

PROTOCOL 2 (other workouts)
Workout - 60 = Alpha-GPC
W - 40 = 1 FINiBAR
W - 30 = 2 scoops Surge Workout Fuel
During workout (early half) = 1 FINiBAR
During workout (later half) = 1 scoop Surge Workout Fuel
W + 15 = 1 scoop Surge Recovery, 1 scoop Grow! Whey
W + 90 = Grow! Whey 2 scoops[/quote]

CT,

Would it be ok and not be a huge difference if I were to just have 1 FINiBAR during the protocol and instead have half W - 40 and the other during early half of workout? This is just for the simple fact of saving money.

Also, right now all I have is Surge Workout Fuel, creatine, L-Leucine powder, waxy maize starch, and whey protein isolate. You have any quick protocols you can throw together for me to use until I run out of this stuff?

Thanks.

[quote]juphoff wrote:
Iam interested in the Anaconda protocol, but I think it might not be what I need. Right now, I’m trying to put on some mass and gain strength because I’m looking too small (6’2" 204lbs). However, I’m not really aspiring to “bodybuilding” per se; rather, my focus is to be strong, athletic, and have good mobility. Basically, I use a half serving of Surge during my workout and a full serving after. That, and along w/ BCAAs and Metabolic Drive make up my peri-workout nutrition. Any help would be great.[/quote]

I work with several athletes who use the protocol. Football players, hockey players, powerlifters, fireman game athletes, etc. DeFranco use’s it with his football players, Tate with this powerlifters.

The main purpose of the protocol is to increase work capacity, prevent dehydration and enhance recovery. A nice side effect of training harder and recovering better is added muscle mass, which is ‘useful’ for bodybuilders.

I’m sorry I wasn’t trying to step on any toes. I guess I was asking if you felt its worth the investment for year-round training. Thanks for the info coach!

[quote]Hartache wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
I’m currently able to dissolve 2 scoops of Surge Workout Fuel and Surge Recovery in 10 oz of water (each). So the pre workout drinks are 20 oz of water total. Then I drink another 20 or so during the workout.

Is the same thing possible with the newest protocol? Can the ANACONDA and MAG-10 be dissolved in less water?
[/quote]

It ‘can’ be disolved in a lesser amount of water than what is recommended in the protocol. By that I mean that is physically possible, you actually don’t need much water to disolve the product.

HOWEVER the high water intake is part of the efficacy of the protocol. Hyperhydration is one of the most neglected aspect of stimulating growth. So if you use less water than recommended, the protocol will not be optimally effective.[/quote]

I’m writing a paper on proper hydration for exercise and general health, do you have any reference/citations or evidence to back up hyperhydration for muscle growth?[/quote]

This should help:

You used to recommend glutamine post workout, but currently do not unless I believe you have an immune deficiency. Refined Physique Transformation calls for glutamine, glycine, leucine, and whey isolate post workout for replacing carbs in a fatloss protocol.
Would MAG-10 or Anaconda pre workout replace this?
Thanks

Coach,

I was just wondering if I went from working two muscles groups 4x a week to working a different muscle group every day (I bought a set of weights and a bench for home), would I still have to consume the same amount of carbs in my post workout meal for smaller muscle groups (like biceps, triceps and shoulders) as I do for the larger groups like legs and back? Or should I consume less for the smaller ones? Thanks.

as long as you keep cals a little higher then maintenance but have a good surplus on the lgr muscle group days it should be fine…if you’re not getting bigger then you’ll need increase the sml days

my 2 cents

Thanks, man.

Thibs would you mind telling me the best protocol for someone with just Surge Workout Fuel and Surge Recovery (I do have another protein powder with 18g protein,3g carbs, 1.5g fat per serving). I am in the process of reading the thread so if there is a post that has that info that would be great too! I forgot to mention I am doing 5/3/1 (periodization bible style workouts one day for military, one for dead, one for bench and one for squat with 3 assistance exercises 5x10 a day). LOL I keep adding to this, but I should add that I generally workout in the morning around 11 or 12 and usually have oatmeal around 9 930.

Thanks
Nik

Ok I’ve been skimming through all the threads I can find and was thinking of doing this, 15 min pre workout use 2 scoops of Surge Workout Fuel with 500ml of water, then 20 25 mins into workout, 1 scoop of Surge Recovery and 1 scoop immediately post workout.

Nik

Hey Thibs, just finished reading through the entire thread, 45 pages!!! Was home sick today.

Ground-breaking stuff that I will start applying right now. The importance of carbs and protein para-workout amazing! Like most, I used to do the PWO shake and paid no importance to para-workout nutrition.

Your explanations were right on point and thanks for the studies you provided. Although I won’t be following the “protocol”, I will definitely change my approach. Well worth the read hehe.

are you having people still use Grow! post workout with the Anaconda protocol?

Chris,

I know this is not optional but I know for a fact I’m going to throw up if I eat finibars and drink a liter of fluid before a workout. Would I take too much away from the protocol if I were to purchase Anaconda and MAG-10 and having them through my workout(and the MAG-10 during the other times of the days for pulsing)?

Thanks.

New to T-Nation, but very impressed about the info here. Thanks CT!

CT, I wish to receive the benefits of peri- workout nutrition, yet i am 17 and can by no means afford ANACONDA as much as I would love to have it. I understand that without ANACONDA peri- workout nutrition does not have the same effects, yet I still want to reap as many benefits as possible. What would you recommend in terms of foods in an attempt to form a pseudo peri- workout nutrition program.