Questions About Peri-Workout Nutrition

[quote]OdinsMissingEye wrote:
Man I hope MAG-10 comes out soon. The casein hydrolysate I use now tastes like vomit and I really don’t want to buy more. =([/quote]

I mix mine with diet arizona green tea, tastes awesome.

what do you think about the peri-workout supplement of Poliquin that he talked about in the vinkofest?

He said that carbs postworkout are good to lower the cortisol and that the carbs that he use will deal well, even with the catecholamine released after the workout.

sorry for my poor english, i hope you’ll understand

I’ll try this Peri-workout nutrition in a few months. The big one with everything. I’ll stay on it for 2-3 months, not changing anything else in my diet.

Currently I just eat McDonalds about 2.5 hours before my workouts. Then I have just water during the workout, and a post workout shake with about 80g carbs 50g whey.

So I really am gonna see if this works.

[quote]Big_Phil wrote:
what do you think about the peri-workout supplement of Poliquin that he talked about in the vinkofest?

He said that carbs postworkout are good to lower the cortisol and that the carbs that he use will deal well, even with the catecholamine released after the workout.

sorry for my poor english, i hope you’ll understand[/quote]

It’s not that carbs won’t work post-workout, studies have shown that they indeed work. It is more the fact that it is not the optimal time to take them to maximize the anabolic response because of the blunted insulin release. So if someone has a limited amount of carbs he can ingest then it is best to spend those carbs pre-workout. But if you can ingest a lot of carbs then it is fine to add the post-workout carbs as well, but if you had the choice of only pre or only post, I believe that pre is the way to go.

Charles and I agree on about 95% of everything. But we have the right to disagree on some stuff :slight_smile:

[quote]Producer wrote:
I’ll try this Peri-workout nutrition in a few months. The big one with everything. I’ll stay on it for 2-3 months, not changing anything else in my diet.

Currently I just eat McDonalds about 2.5 hours before my workouts. Then I have just water during the workout, and a post workout shake with about 80g carbs 50g whey.

So I really am gonna see if this works.[/quote]

yeah, you sound like a perfect candidate to give this a fair shot

in refernece to the post you made about carbs being of more use pre-workout then post… if one where to get most his carbs preworkout, what would you suggest eating post workout? just sticking to the meat/veggie meal layout?

I read through the 1st 20 pages, thought it was mentioned early on.

CT- what are you eating the rest of the day outside the peri-workout window?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
I read through the 1st 20 pages, thought it was mentioned early on.

CT- what are you eating the rest of the day outside the peri-workout window?[/quote]

Don’t know if its specifically listed in this thread…but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen CT mention several times that he is more of a low-carb guy.

I personally believe with an approach like this para-workout protocol that the response you will get from your body is greater if your carbs are lower throughout the day as you maximize insulin sensitivity this way.

Will putting creatine in coffee destroy anything? it never mixes well in water.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
OdinsMissingEye wrote:
Man I hope MAG-10 comes out soon. The casein hydrolysate I use now tastes like vomit and I really don’t want to buy more. =(

I mix mine with diet arizona green tea, tastes awesome.[/quote]

First time I went to the gym I had to plug my nose while drinking it looking retarded. I have since started using this flavored water. No calories, carbs, sweetners, sugar, splenda or anything. It actually makes it bearable and I can drink it without feeling like im going to puke up the puke tasting CH.

EDIT: Read through the thread a bit and found the answers to my questions.

Thib’s (or anyone) what do you think about this peri-workout protocol?

30 minutes prior = 1-2 scoops Workout Fuel, 1-2 Finibars
15-20 minutes prior = 1-2 scoops Surge Recovery
Before workout= Peptopro(serving?) OR Metabolic Drive
Mid-workout = Peptopro(serving?), 1 Finibar OR Metabolic Drive , 1 Finibar
30 minutes post-workout = 1-2 servings Metabolic Drive
60 minutes post-workout = Solid Meal

My concern is with how much to take of the Peptopro to take and if Metabolic Drive is a good enough substituted for MAG-10 protein as well for Anaconda (instead of Peptopro)for the time being? As well how could I fit Biotest: L-Leucine into there?

Thanks,
Fuzz

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:

My concern is with how much to take of the Peptopro to take and if Metabolic Drive is a good enough substituted for MAG-10 protein as well for Anaconda (instead of Peptopro)for the time being? As well how could I fit Biotest: L-Leucine into there?

Thanks,
Fuzz[/quote]

You would be better of with just whey protein PWO than Metabolic Drive.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:

Thanks,
Fuzz

You would be better of with just whey protein PWO than Metabolic Drive.[/quote]

I’m not sure that is necessarily the case as there’s been some research showing that whey still maintains it’s desirable properties when blended with casein.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:

Thanks,
Fuzz

I’m not sure that is necessarily the case as there’s been some research showing that whey still maintains it’s desirable properties when blended with casein.[/quote]

Sorry, I’m not reading in between the lines but Metabolic Drive isn’t a good PWO protein?

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
HK24719 wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:

Thanks,
Fuzz

I’m not sure that is necessarily the case as there’s been some research showing that whey still maintains it’s desirable properties when blended with casein.

Sorry, I’m not reading in between the lines but Metabolic Drive isn’t a good PWO protein?
[/quote]

the reason it was said that youd be better off with just whey instead of the Metabolic Drive is that the casein in Metabolic Drive is not this fast absorbed Casein Hydrosylate being talked about above. it is actually the casein that most of us are probably more familiar with, which is digested much, much more slowly (hence the reason we like it and use it at certain times- before bed being one).

i am aware that Metabolic Drive is a blend of casein and whey, but i am not sure what the ratio is. regardless, the casein in the Metabolic Drive is unnecessary around the workout, and that’s why you were told plain whey would be better than the casein/whey mix of the Metabolic Drive.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:
HK24719 wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:

Thanks,
Fuzz

the reason it was said that youd be better off with just whey instead of the Metabolic Drive is that the casein in Metabolic Drive is not this fast absorbed Casein Hydrosylate being talked about above. it is actually the casein that most of us are probably more familiar with, which is digested much, much more slowly (hence the reason we like it and use it at certain times- before bed being one).

i am aware that Metabolic Drive is a blend of casein and whey, but i am not sure what the ratio is. regardless, the casein in the Metabolic Drive is unnecessary around the workout, and that’s why you were told plain whey would be better than the casein/whey mix of the Metabolic Drive.
[/quote]

Thank you for the explanation. What I needed.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:

Thank you for the explanation. What I needed.[/quote]

sure, but keep in mind, the suggestion of whey in place of Metabolic Drive was not saying that whey was optimal, just likely better than Metabolic Drive.

here is what you proposed:

30 minutes prior = 1-2 scoops Surge Workout Fuel, 1-2 FINiBARs
15-20 minutes prior = 1-2 scoops Surge Recovery
Before workout= Peptopro(serving?) OR Metabolic Drive
Mid-workout = Peptopro(serving?), 1 FINiBAR OR Metabolic Drive , 1 FINiBAR
30 minutes post-workout = 1-2 servings Metabolic Drive
60 minutes post-workout = Solid Meal

if you do in fact have Peptopro on-hand, or are at least willing to purchase it, id think it would be your best alternative until MAG-10 protein and/or Anaconda are available.

also, your timing is a little off, here is what CT has said is “optimal”-

-90 2 caps Alpha-GPC
-45 2 FINiBAR
-30 2 Scoops Surge Workout Fuel
-15 2 Scoops Surge Recovery
During Workout sip on 20g CH
+60 20g CH
+90 Solid meal

it seems you have all of the ingredients, just need to tweak your approach slightly.

Thibs, Surge Workout Fuel contains rice oligodextrin and palatinose, which have a low glycemic index and are slowly absorbed. What exactly is the reasoning for having these two carbs, instead of just one or the other? Do they have other differences besides both being low glcemic?
Thanks

one more point i feel i should clarify-

above when i said something along the lines of whey being “better” than Metabolic Drive…i didnt mean in general, i only meant around the workout.

Metabolic Drive is a great product, ive had two shakes today…

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
one more point i feel i should clarify-

above when i said something along the lines of whey being “better” than Metabolic Drive…i didnt mean in general, i only meant around the workout.

Metabolic Drive is a great product, ive had two shakes today…[/quote]

I’m actually having some in my oatmeal as I type :stuck_out_tongue: Yeah I know what you meant by in the workout.