Questions About Peri-Workout Nutrition

Thanks for that excellent response on the proteins. I think I’m going to wait for Anaconda. I drink Metabolic Drive before bed already and love it. I used to eat cheese before bed, but the Metabolic Drive seems to digest perfectly, and it tastes pretty good to.

[quote]Ocelot82 wrote:
C-Bear wrote:
Maybe follow the protocol and take 2 scoops of each rather 2 servings?

Nah I messed up there, I take 2 scoops of each, not 2 servings. I stand corrected.[/quote]

I think a lot of the problem with the stomach issues is that some may need to work up to the protocol before they are able to handle that much in their stomach at one time.

Its a shock to your system if your not used to it just like a 64 ounce full sugar big gulp would be if you tried to do the same with it. Its not necessarily the same thing at work but if your bodies natural digestion isn’t ready for it you’ll have “fun” sooner or later with the additional dosing. I’m working with 1 and 1 right now and have been for about a week and a half and am still adjusting to it.

sorry if i missed this, but if i have the following, how should i set up my para-workout protocol?

CH
WH
Surge Recovery
Surge WO Fuel
Whey isolate
BCAAs

it seems like the only thing I am missing to do the full thing are the Finibars, which I just can’t get my hands on because of shipping/customs costs.

What about the acidity of the peri WO strategy, would it be beneficial to add primal greens or Superfood post WO?

CT, I know you have been getting a lot of questions regarding the peri-workout protocol but I just wanted be sure of a couple things.

-90 2 caps Alpha-GPC
-45 2 FINiBAR
-30 2 scoops Surge workout fuel
-15 2 scoops Surge recovery
during workout 20g CH
plus 60 20g CH
plus 90 solid meal of mainly protein and green veggies

I have chocolate Surge recovery and 2 scoops is 1 full serving. Are you going by original flavor which is 3 scoops per serving or something else?

Also, I thought I saw a post that said 12g CH post workout was OK and another post in which you described the optimal protocol saying to use 20g CH post workout. I’m thinking it’s the latter.

Thanks coach

[quote]jonmb11 wrote:
CT, I know you have been getting a lot of questions regarding the peri-workout protocol but I just wanted be sure of a couple things.

-90 2 caps Alpha-GPC
-45 2 FINiBAR
during workout 20g CH
plus 60 20g CH

I have chocolate Surge recovery and 2 scoops is 1 full serving. Are you going by original flavor which is 3 scoops per serving or something else?

Also, I thought I saw a post that said 12g CH post workout was OK and another post in which you described the optimal protocol saying to use 20g CH post workout. I’m thinking it’s the latter.

Thanks coach

[/quote]

They are all 2 scoops. I had the very same question. The answer ive gotten was that 3 scoops was the “old” serving size and that it just wasnt changed on the thingy you can click when looking at the Surge recovery info.

If that isnt too clear (doesnt sound clear to me), whatever flavor you get, 2 scoops will be equal to ~93g = 1 serving = the 2 scoops prescribed by CT.

20g of CH +60mins was first mentionned as the “optimal” protocol

[quote]zraw wrote:
jonmb11 wrote:

-90 2 caps Alpha-GPC
-45 2 FINiBAR
during workout 20g CH
plus 60 20g CH

Thanks coach

They are all 2 scoops. I had the very same question. The answer ive gotten was that 3 scoops was the “old” serving size and that it just wasnt changed on the thingy you can click when looking at the Surge recovery info.

If that isnt too clear (doesnt sound clear to me), whatever flavor you get, 2 scoops will be equal to ~93g = 1 serving = the 2 scoops prescribed by CT.

20g of CH +60mins was first mentionned as the “optimal” protocol[/quote]

Cool. Thanks a lot zraw! What about fiber and fish oil/fat for the post-workout solid meal? Should we keep both of them low?

[quote]jonmb11 wrote:
zraw wrote:
jonmb11 wrote:

-90 2 caps Alpha-GPC
-45 2 FINiBAR
during workout 20g CH
plus 60 20g CH

Thanks coach

20g of CH +60mins was first mentionned as the “optimal” protocol

Cool. Thanks a lot zraw! What about fiber and fish oil/fat for the post-workout solid meal? Should we keep both of them low?[/quote]

That I am not sure of…

Altought CT mentionned your post workout meal could actually be a P+F meal… So I think you could have fishoil and fibers in your postworkout meal without any problems…

Like I said tough, I may be wrong

Ok I tried this yesterday before my workout. I am a pro mma fighter and of course my workout is a little different then what most are doing here. Two things first do you think there is a benefit of using this before doing 5 to 10 hard 5 min rounds of mma? Second I think I need to limit some of the fluid before. What is more important 2 scoops of workout fuel or Surge or changing it to one scoop each.

Having that much fluid in me and doing heavy cardio didn’t work very well. I had no desire nor was I able to choke down a Finibar or more Surge during the middle or latter part of the workout.

Or is there some other protocol you may suggest?

Thibs, I know Surge Workout Fuel has three different carbs, a small amount of dextrose along with aminos to cause a small release of insulin. Then there is rice oligodextrin and palatinose, which have a super low glycemic index and are slowly absorbed. What exactly is the reasoning for having these two carbs, instead of just one or the other? Or do they differ in others way from one another?
Just curious, thanks

What would you suggest for people who can’t gluten or dairy? Apologies if this has been asked.

Hey Coach,

I was thinking about the actual workout one would be doing when using the peri-workout nutrition protocol, and had a little train of thought. If Insulin is spiked prior to the workout, and one is in a state of hyperaminoacidemia, then;

• Would the amino acids and other nutrients be in the blood streams near the active muscles of the workout

• Would higher volume / rep training, with more contraction, stimulate more non-insulin mediated transport of these nutrients, and be beneficial later in the workout when insulin levels drop

• (hinging on the prior question) Would the protein during the workout (my case is 50g whey isolate) be enough to maintain, to some degree, the levels of amino acids in the blood during the workout?

Thanks for your time in advance

Coach Thibs,
Your time and dedication to the forum is greatly appreciated. I am a powerlifter looking to gain strength. I’m not too hung up on my current body fat, although I am fairly lean as far as powerlifters’ typical builds go; 5’9, 198lbs, 14%, BF is mostly gut. I train squat, bench, dead on M/W/F. Sprints on T/T and take weekends off.

I tried PROTOCAL 1 on Monday (I had everything already on hand) but cut the portions in 1/2 just to see how I would respond. My energy and intensity were insane just on 1/2 portions!

My question is this (and I apologize if you’ve answered this before); when should the timing of my 1st solid meal come and what should it entail? What should the rest of my meals entail? Protein/fats/veggies? I take 4 FA3 caps & 4 Flameout caps evenly divided throughout the day. I end the day with a LCMD shake & natural peanut butter. I’m figuring there’s 4 whole food meals in between if I’m eating every 2-1/2 hours. I use coconut oil & evoo to cook with. Diet is very clean. I had been carb cycling to maintain my current weight and it was working well but my strength was stagnant so I gave your PROTOCAL a try.

I realize my personal goals would weigh heavily on your answer so I’ll tell you this; I need to remain at 198 lbs to stay in that weight class, but I for sure want to get stronger. After Monday’s experiment, there’s no doubt in my mind that PROTOCAL 1 will get me stronger.

Thank you for your time Coach,
Sincerly,
Viets

I started using the protocol today… I noticed that some people in their protocol are using Surge Workout Fuel (during the workout) in the absence of Anaconda, CH,…and others are using Surge Recovery… isn’t Surge recovery the better option in these circumstances? or are both somewhat acceptable?..

[quote]Montenegro wrote:
I started using the protocol today… I noticed that some people in their protocol are using Surge Workout Fuel (during the workout) in the absence of Anaconda, CH,…and others are using Surge Recovery… isn’t Surge recovery the better option in these circumstances? or are both somewhat acceptable?..[/quote]

In the absence of Anaconda or CHY, Surge Recovery is the better option because it has a lot of BCAAs and whey hydrolysate (2nd fastest protein). It will give you a lot of extra carbs though.

CT,

I was thinking of trying the following. Do you consider this to be “candy creatine” (as stated in the information page for Surge Workout Fuel)? I know it has creatine in it, but I was honestly interested in this product because I know someone on the inside who can get it for me for free. According to the link below, the supplement contains Alpha-GPC already in it, along with Taurine. Or do you think I should just buy Surge Workout Fuel (obviously won’t be free)? Let me know what you think. Thanks for your time!

Hey CT

I am currently using your Destroying Fat program with a diet that is a cross between Bodyopus and the program you outline in you Transformation Revisited article (basically zero carbs all week and 1 cheat meal per week) Usually i am in ketosis about 5 days/wk.

The exceptions are 1 scoop of Surge Workout Fuel prior to all lifting and 1 addtional scoop of Surge Recocvery prior to heavy lifting.

I have a few questions that i love your input on:

1. i know you aren’t as high on glutamine as you used to be, but: knowing i am trying to maintain ketosis, for non-heavy lifting days, should i apply the same new thoughts on peri-workout to the glutamine, leucine and glycine (ie take them prior to training)?

2. What would you suggest is optimal for periworkout while staying in ketosis?

3. Will glutamine interfere with the Lactate / Growth Hormone response that we are looking for from the German Body Comp training (due to glutamine pH balancing affects)?

4. What is best for peri-workout for the sprint training (alactic training)

5. Just ordered some leucine and I plan to start using it to induce ketosis quicker - do glutamine and glycine also have a role to play in kick starting ketosis - any protocol suggestions?

sorry for all the questions! thanks much

[quote]Eric Buratty wrote:
CT,

I was thinking of trying the following. Do you consider this to be “candy creatine” (as stated in the information page for Surge Workout Fuel)? I know it has creatine in it, but I was honestly interested in this product because I know someone on the inside who can get it for me for free. According to the link below, the supplement contains Alpha-GPC already in it, along with Taurine. Or do you think I should just buy Surge Workout Fuel (obviously won’t be free)? Let me know what you think. Thanks for your time!

[/quote]

I’m not CT, but I looked at the ingredients… and look at each of their ‘proprietary blends’

CytoCreaâ?¢ Buffered Water Stable Creatine & GCC Precursor Matrix. 3535mg *
CytoSport’s Proprietary Blend Of Betaine Anhydrous, Glycocyamine, Kre-Alkalyn (Buffered Creatine, Patent #6,399,661), Glycine, L-Serine, Alpha-Glycerol Phosphorylcholine, Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin), Folic Acid.

3.5g of Creatine, Glycine, Alpha GPC, and about 4 other ingredients. Those concentrations of the main 3 ingredients I would be interested in can’t be too high.

NitroAmpâ?¢ Dual Action Nitric Oxide Enhancing System. 3375mg *
CytoSport’s Proprietary Blend Of Arginine AKG, L-Citrulline, Citrulline Malate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Acetate, Arginine Malate, L-Norvaline.

Once again, Citrulline Malate is the 3rd ingredient… I can’t imagine there is more than 1g

CytoRepairâ?¢ Free Radical Protecting, Cortisol Blocking Factors. 620mg *
CytoSport’s Proprietary Blend Of Glutamine Peptides, Phosphatidylserine, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Taurine, L-Tyrosine.

Glutamine Peptides? PPS min. recommended dose is at least 600mg, ALA at least 100mg, Taurine I really have no idea, and Tyrosine, I can’t imagine less than 1g is effective.

It looks like they just threw a bunch of ingredients in there.

That’s one main reason I don’t like a bunch of supplements.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Montenegro wrote:
I started using the protocol today… I noticed that some people in their protocol are using Surge Workout Fuel (during the workout) in the absence of Anaconda, CH,…and others are using Surge Recovery… isn’t Surge recovery the better option in these circumstances? or are both somewhat acceptable?..

In the absence of Anaconda or CHY, Surge Recovery is the better option because it has a lot of BCAAs and whey hydrolysate (2nd fastest protein). It will give you a lot of extra carbs though.[/quote]

Thanks CT!

Hey CT, thanks a lot for taking the time to answer all of our questions.
I would like to know how you think I should structure my para-workout nutrition.
My usual schedule:

7:30-8:30 BJJ/ Grappling class
[travel home]
10:00-11:20 Lift weights

Does the following look good ?:

6:30 Finibar
7:20 2 scoops SWF

8:50 Finibar

9:50 2 scoops Surge + 5g Leucine
10:30 Finibar and/or SWF (depending on tiredness from BJJ)
11:00 CH + 5g Leucine

12:00 CH + 5g Leucine
12:30 Solid Meal

Specifically, am I right in avoiding an insulin spike before BJJ and is 1hr20 long enough to wait for my insulin sensitivity to return to normal before taking py pre-WO Surge?