Questions About My Plan

Hey,

I am just getting in to the swing of things here. I have a read a few articles on the site and looked at the Beginners section. I thought I would post and see what feedback/advice you can give me…

I am trying to eat “clean” foods these days. I need about 2400 cals a day to gain about a pound a week. I am short, around 5’5" 125 pounds and trying to make a change. I want to gain more lean muscle mass and get rid of the gut (my pants are no longer fitting). I read the article on Skinny-Manifesto. Good read.

These are my questions:

1. Should I be doing cardio?
  2. Should I stick with compound exercises? How many times a week?
  3. What meals/snacks do you recommend? I do try and have a smoothie with whey once a day.

Any other advice is appreciated. I know I am in for the long haul. Thanks!

Bro I really think you need to go ahead and read more.

Those questions you ask are about as friggin broad as you can get. That be like taking a term paper to someone for advice on how your coming along and the pages you present are blank.

Get a basic plan rolling something you think is ok and ask more direct question for a bit of feedback your asking for us to do it all not help or give opinions.

Phill

Okay, so I re-read my post and realized it was pretty vague and general. Here is what I am doing:

In triads, 2x a week:(90 second rest in between)3 sets of each of 12-15 reps

bench press
deadlift
lat pulldown

leg press
cable seated row
lunge

barbell cuban press
calf raise
crunches

Remember, I am a short, skinny guy with a growing belly. I am not the 6’ 200 lb average. I am trying to eat better & more close to 2400 cals.

Average meal plan:

7 am
2 whole & 1 white eggs, toast, .5 C oatmeal in skim milk w/ raisins, glass OJ

10:30 am
1 egg, hard boiled
cheese stick
fruit

12:45 Lunch
turkey sandwich on whole wheat
yogurt w/ almonds
fruit w/ peanut butter

4:00 snack
fruit

6:00 dinner
chicken, or fish, or meat
side of either whole wheat pasta or sweet potato
mixed veggies or salad

8:00 snack
protein shake

I am just starting out. Any more advice is appreciated.

[quote]justgreene wrote:
Okay, so I re-read my post and realized it was pretty vague and general. Here is what I am doing:

In triads, 2x a week:(90 second rest in between)3 sets of each of 12-15 reps

bench press
deadlift
lat pulldown

leg press
cable seated row
lunge

barbell cuban press
calf raise
crunches
[/quote]

Are you sayiong you do all the above 3 times a week or are those seperate days??

I say keep the big exercises but base each day on three. Like one day would be that first group.
bench press
deadlift
lat pulldown

thats a solid group of exercises do them and really focus on those three then maybe if you have it in you do some acc work isolation or what not.

Have two other days much the same one of course with a sqaut, a push and pull etc.

After reading your feedback, and some other workout routines I think I might try the Chad Waterbury - Total Body Training Workout

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=508031

I think that might be better than my triad system.

[quote]justgreene wrote:
After reading your feedback, and some other workout routines I think I might try the Chad Waterbury - Total Body Training Workout

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=508031

I think that might be better than my triad system.[/quote]

good plan

A very good, basic, full body workout. should work well and see some good gains.