T Nation

Questions About Jerks and Squats

I just read through Defranco’s sample vert program. It says to do 8 sets of 2 reps of the box squat, completing the reps in 2 seconds or less. Does this mean I squat down, get up, down, up in less than 2 seconds all together? It seems like I would sit down to hard on the box in trying to get the reps done in the time limit.

Also, when doing push jerks, should i alternate which leg goes in front of the other(lunge position) or does it matter?

Hmm thats aweful damn fast if he wants both completed in 2 seconds Id say its a roguh estimate id just aim to go FAST go down unlock FIRE more standing around at the top repeat just aiom to get faster dont sweat it if it takes 3 - 4 seconds get fast and explosive.

HMM on the push jerks, if its to get better at push jerking id say do what ever is doninant but since its for verticle you may wnat to though most times on a jump you will likely lead off whatever foot is dominant as well. Sure mix it up couldnt hurt.

Phill

Do you think he may mean get the eccentric part of the lift in the box squat done in 2 seconds or less? Because that would take full effort and need to be explosive?

[quote]Phill wrote:
Hmm thats aweful damn fast if he wants both completed in 2 seconds Id say its a roguh estimate id just aim to go FAST go down unlock FIRE more standing around at the top repeat just aiom to get faster dont sweat it if it takes 3 - 4 seconds get fast and explosive.

HMM on the push jerks, if its to get better at push jerking id say do what ever is doninant but since its for verticle you may wnat to though most times on a jump you will likely lead off whatever foot is dominant as well. Sure mix it up couldnt hurt.

Phill[/quote]

no, he definitely means down-up-down-up in 2 seconds. You shouldnt sit down on the box hard, you should use control and light weights. you’re trying to be explosive here. And I agree dont use a stop watch, and yeah 3 seconds is PROBABLY ok, but 4 is not. A second is actually a pretty long time with anything other than max weight

[quote]Ballin4Christ32 wrote:
I just read through Defranco’s sample vert program. It says to do 8 sets of 2 reps of the box squat, completing the reps in 2 seconds or less. Does this mean I squat down, get up, down, up in less than 2 seconds all together? It seems like I would sit down to hard on the box in trying to get the reps done in the time limit.

Also, when doing push jerks, should i alternate which leg goes in front of the other(lunge position) or does it matter? [/quote]

On a push jerk your legs do not split into the “lunge” position" that is a split jerk. If your not going to be a competetive 0-lifter I think switching it up could be ok.

If you are doing DE box squats, the point is to come to a complete stop sitting on the box and explode up. I’m not sure the lowering part has any effect, since you are using a lighter than normal weight to get the explosive movement and feel on the lift. So, I would say 2 seconds is only the eccentric part of the lift.

actually defranco mentioned that he doenst untilize the 2 second speed squat as much anymore. Instead he has his atheletes go down in a controlled manner and then explode back up as fast as they can.

As for the jerks, try all of the variaties, put them all in your tool box and switch up from time to time. No programs are written in stone.

[quote]Ballin4Christ32 wrote:

Also, when doing push jerks, should i alternate which leg goes in front of the other(lunge position) or does it matter? [/quote]

Are you doing push jerks or split jerks? When you do push jerks (or power jerks} neither leg goes in front of the other: you explode upward and then dip underneath the bar–similar to the knee bend during the catch of a power clean.

If doing split jerks, stand with your feet together and have someone push you from behind. Which ever leg you step forward with, thats the leg you step forward with during the split. But switch off if you can–it can’t hurt.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I really appreciate it

Alternate legs on split jerks as much as you can. It’s always good to keep things in balance. However, when you go for a maximum or work real close to it (i.e. 90%+), just go with your better side.