Questions about Formulating a Workout/Diet, etc. for a Type 3

I am considering a workout that you posted in another thread and have just modified it to fit my schedule. My goal is 80% hypertrophy with some functional strength, and to also stay lean. Hoping you could answer a few questions.

TUESDAY (DAY 1)
Front squat (heaviest) 4 work sets of 6 reps
Bench press (moderate) 3 work sets of 10 reps
Deadlift (light) 3 work sets of 12 reps
Chest-supported t-bar row (pump) 2 work sets of 15 reps

THURSDAY (DAY 2)
Bench press (heaviest) 4 x 6
Deadlift (moderate) 3 x 10
Front squat (light) 3 x 12
Bent over barbell row (pump) 2 x 15

SATURDAY (DAY 3)
Deadlift (heaviest) 4 x 6
Front squat (moderate) 3 x 10
Bench press (light) 3 x 12
Seated row (pump) 2 x 15

SUNDAY (extra)
Shoulders
Tricep
Bicep
Calves
Traps
Abs

1. Cardio??? When and how to do cardio? Also you’ve mentioned before that type 3’s do better with endurance stuff. Is a HIIT cardio workout too much for a type 3?

2. Extra 4th day to hit things like Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps, Traps, Calves, Abs. What kind of rep range, exercises, sets, intensity, etc should I shoot for? What about bodyweight stuff like push ups, pull ups, etc?

3. Diet:
    What diet do you suggest besides what you’ve already mentioned about having some carbs before workout and at the last meal before bed? Also can a type 3 build muscle with intermittent fasting? My IF is 4x days with 24 hours of only 500 calories (24 hours = 5 eggs/fruit, then casein shakes with strawberries). Fast is broken at around 8pm with a clean meal protein/carbs/good fat. It’s been awesome for reducing belly fat but not eating muscle.

4. Supplements:
    I already take Magnesium Glycinate, I am going to add glycine per your recommendations 4-5g post workout. Should I also take the Glycine on off days? I’ll also be adding 5-HTP and B-6 (it will be a b complex) per your recommendations, what dosage/frequency do you recommend? How about GABA supplements, is it worthwhile to consider those?

5. Thoughts on SSRI’s for a Type 3 to improve Serotonin?

6. Any hope of a layperson’s program that we could purchase with more in depth info and possibly studies? Either that or a book?

Dude, honestly I am not going to read all of that. Typicaly Type 3 post with wayyyyy too much details. I appreciate you providing me with a lot of info, and it is a nice change from those who ask for everything and give no info. But I honestly don’t have time to read a wall of text, especially not at this time of year. I’ll only read your questions and will answer them to the best of my capacity later tomorrow (family evening today).

In the future feel free to ask questions but keep them short an simple, I will ask for more info if needed.

1. Man just go for a easy walk, type 3 need to calm down. Go walk maybe for 30-45mins, take big breathe and relax. Walking is really good for body composition. Your a type 3, don’t stress yourself more with Hit or Long duration Cardio.

2. If you feel good to do a 4th workout day, do like you said bicep tricep traps calves and abs. But if you feel tired and a bit exhausted, DONT DO IT. Just go walk ( walk every damn day if you can ). If your able to do it then do a 1 exercises per muscle group, maybe 2 sets per exercises because we don’t want a type 3 to do too much volume.

3. Yes why not ? like you said stick to the same exercises 8-12 week and maybe more.

4. I don’t no about diet for type 3, same for the other neurotype, but like you said type 3 need carb to lower cortisol but if it make you feel like shit ? hmmmm

5. i already try glycine and gaba, they did the samething for me, they are really good to decrease cortisol. But i don’t like the way i feel using them, i feel like a zombie ( but im not a type 3 so maybe thats why ). Glycine 10g post and 10g before bed. Gaba 5g before bed. Already try B complex, didn’t do anything. Never try 5-HTP.

ct answer about 5-htp and gaba:

Both can be used.

Type 3 have GABA as their main inhibitor, so supplementing it can help maintain your levels. 5HTP can help as it will boost serotonin which is the lowest neurotransmitter for a type 3. I would not combine both. Use one for 14 days and rotate.

I do not find this high frequency deadlift interesting

same deadlift make me feel like crap the next day, but if you take off day after each workout it can be effective

Several coaches recommend deadlift only 1x per week.

I already read articles in which CT recommends 1x a week too

but this is a CT program

It depends on your goal. If your main objective is losing fat or being healthier, cardio is a good idea. If it’s gaining muscle or strength I would likely use less, maybe once a week on an off day.

Ideally the cardio would be done separately from lifting, especially for a type 3.

A type 3 should only train 4 days a week (with weights) if they are sleeping well and are not in a high stress period, and that 4th day should be a low stress session. Doing shoulders, biceps, triceps, traps, calves, abs in one session is a monster workout and not what I would recommend. You can pick maybe 2 of these and do 2 exercises each for 3-5 sets of 8-15 reps. The other stuff can be added at the end of the other workouts… 1 muscle for 1 exercise, 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps at the end of each workout.

Glycine can be taken on off days, in the evening. Especially if it’s a week day (working) or a stressful period.

You can use Z12 since it targers both serotonin (5HTP) and Gaba.Less complicated than using 10 000 different supplements.

I’m not a doctor. But using pharmaceutical products for someone who doesn’t medically need it, can do more harm than good.

I understand the need of a type 3 to get 10 000 pages of info, studies proving every single detail. That’s how they are and it is a subconscious strategy to decrease anxiety/uncertainty. But A program is a program, it’s not a review of literature. I only have so much time in a day. As for a book, eventually I will likely write one of neurotyping and training but with all the seminars I’m giving, traveling, new baby, clients, managing 7 gyms, writing articles, I simply don’t have time at the moment.

Thanks. So putting that together I’m coming up with this workout. I will most likely start on the lower end of set numbers and work my way up.

MONDAY
Cardio 20 minutes HIIT

TUESDAY (DAY 1)
Front squat (heaviest) 4 work sets of 6 reps
Bench press (moderate) 3 work sets of 10 reps
Deadlift (light) 3 work sets of 12 reps
Chest-supported t-bar row (pump) 2 work sets of 15 reps

WEDNESDAY
Cardio 20 minutes HIIT

THURSDAY (DAY 2)
Bench press (heaviest) 4 x 6
Deadlift (moderate) 3 x 10
Front squat (light) 3 x 12
Bent over barbell row (pump) 2 x 15
Military press (accessory) 3-4 x 8-15

FRIDAY
OFF

SATURDAY (DAY 3)
Deadlift (heaviest) 4 x 6
Front squat (moderate) 3 x 10
Bench press (light) 3 x 12
Seated row (pump) 2 x 15
Standing Calves (accessory) 3-4 x 8-15

SUNDAY (extra)
Close grip bench 3-5 x 8-15
Standing barbell curl 3-5 x 8-15
Barbell shrugs 3-5 x 8-15
Hanging leg raises 3-5 x 8-15

CT could you please answer to this questions?

1. I am type 3, in your video you said the best is 6-8 meals with carbs (20-25g). Whole my life I have been eating 2-3 very big meals a day. Even I tried warrior diet and I felt great.
    So If I want to “properly” gain mussles do I have to force myself to eat 6 meals? Or Just during day add some supplements (plazma) or fruit?

And your post to IF

" I wouldn’t really recommend the 16:8 (or similar) intermittent fasting for a type 3. BUT the 5:2 protocol (what Paul Carter and I have called Primer 52, a system we developped) could work well. It has two days of 24h fasting (you only have one meel, late ,around 8-9pm). This is a day to increase AMPK as much as possible and trigger autophagy (and many other health benefits).

I won’t explain the whole complexity of the system here, but here is a graphic to get you started if you are interested.

YES there will be a higher cortisol output on the fasting days but there will be a great anabolic rebound the next days.

primer52

1. Can I aks you where is this protocol, is it in your book? There is any way how to arrange it with 3 days full body program for avarage Joe?

Thank you

1 Like

Eat the way (structure) that makes you feel good. Type 3 are normally not super hungry. They do need to maintain a stable blood sugar level to avoid cortisol spikes. But if eating more often is a chore, it might do more harm than good.

However be usre to include carbs in the evening to decrease cortisol levels at night and increase serotonin levels.

It’s not anywhere. We haven’t published it yet.

That’s interesting. I’m a Type 3, but I’m a big foodie. Always have eaten for pleasure. Any idea why that would be?

Acetylcholine levels.

One characteristic of high acetylcholine is “eating with all your senses”, making the whole meal “an experience”.

1 Like