Questions About Chad's TBT

Ok, so I have a few questions about Chad Waterbury’s Total body training routine. This was the program recommended to me since I’m training for aesthetic purposes. These are the exercises I’ve picked:

Chest: Flat barbell bench press
Back: Bent-over row
Deltoids: Standing military press
Quads: Barbell squats
Biceps: Barbell curls
Triceps: Incline Barbell Triceps Extension

I understand that I do chest/back and biceps/triceps for the antagonist sets. What about deltoid and quads?

Did I pick a good set of exercises from the list posted below? Am I hitting all the major groups?

I looked the exercises up online. Is the bent-over row the same as the upright row and is the full barbell squat the same as the high bar squat?

“Compound Exercises
Chest: Incline, flat, decline barbell or dumbbell bench presses. Wide-grip dips.
Back: Upright or horizontal rows. Pull-ups or pulldowns with pronated, semi-supinated, and supinated grips.
Deltoids: Standing or seated military presses with a barbell or dumbbells utilizing pronated, semi-supinated or supinated hand positions.
Quads: High-bar full barbell squats, hack squats or front squats.
Lower Back/Hips: Traditional and/or sumo-style deadlifts or Good Mornings. Power cleans or snatches.
Single-Joint Exercises
Biceps: Barbell curls, hammer curls or preacher curls.
Triceps: Lying barbell or dumbbell triceps extensions, and pronated or supinated grip pressdowns.
Deltoids: Front, side or rear dumbbell raises.
Hamstrings: Glute-ham raises or leg curls.
Calves: Standing, seated or donkey calf raises.”

“Is the bent-over row the same as the upright row”
No.

“is the full barbell squat the same as the high bar squat?”
Sort of, but you squat as low as you can go.

Stu

Thanks for the reply.
Hmm… ok. Well, is the bent-over row a good back exercise that I can use for this routine? If not, what is the horizontal row…maybe I don’t know how to use google very well b/c I can’t find it.

Also, I think I want to add the deadlift to this but Chad recommends 6 exercises only. Should I take off something and add it?

So, I could do:

Back: Bent-over row
Deltoids: Standing military press
Biceps: Barbell curls

OR

Back: Upright row
Lower Back/Hips: Deadlift
Deltoids: Lateral Raise

I’m thinking this might hit more muscles…but I really want to do military presses instead of lateral raises. Which one will have the best results?

Thanks.

The second one is better except for the upright row. An upright row is a shoulder exercise, and one it seems prone to cause injury. Replace it with barbell bent over row or pull-ups. I’d go with pull-ups. I’d do a military press instead of lateral raises like you want too, I think it fits the program ok.

Your not suppose to just pick 1. you need to mix it up.

Good luck squatting and deadlifting on the same day when you get to the 4 sets of 5 a couple weeks in.

I love TBT. You need to rotate the exercises though, I think Chad said something like every couple weeks, pick new ones. Personally I never do the same exercises more than two workouts in a row.

Agreed, the exercises need to be rotated for effectiveness. Also, I’d stick to compound moves. Ditch the curls and lateral raises and do something like supinated chins and dumbbell push presses instead.