T Nation

QUESTION

ok… i workout about about 4-5 times a week, im 5’11 155lb (relativly thin) decsent amount of muscle, tied going on a diet to gain some weight, problem is it seems to go mostly to my belly, its not huge but of my thin body i would say it is. been trying to eat a high protein diet, im not looking for a six pack but i would like to shrink my belly, what kind of diet should i be following, any on here that you can point me in the right direction, been doing this protein diet for about a month didnt see any results, i dont know maybe im impatient, thank you very much

pauly

How about posting what a typical day of eating looks like so we can see where you might be going wrong.

ok here we go
7 am protein shake
1030 am 2 egss bacon and ham on roll
1200 2 cans tuna fish sid of salad
200 turkey sandwich on roll with lettuce
700 chicken breast side of salad or broccoli
9 2 hard boiled eggs

thats roughly it, it changes though, but is a protein diet what i wanna do?
this belly is just annoying me, i do watch what i eat, not too much fast food, do not drink too much either

thanks again hope this helps

Paully, to begin with, when you’re bulking (consuming calories in excess of maintenance) your girth measurement is going to increase. Unfortunately, that’s just the way it is because you’re taking in more food, and the bulk is going to fill up your stomach and intestines, both. It doesn’t last.

Now, if your BF% is increasing faster than your TBW, you need to make some changes. (wink)

Bottom line, you need to measure, track, weigh and quantify your progress. Keep a food log. Weigh and measure your food. Weigh yourself daily and record the number. Check your BF weekly. If you’re not willing to do these things, you won’t be in control of your waistline. Your waistline will be in control of YOU!

1. Select a good bulking/hypertrophy program out of the T-Mag archives. Look for a program that uses compound, multi-joint exercies. I love HST because it will give you results you can SEE in 8 weeks. There are many other excellent programs too.

2. Make sure you’re getting 1.5g of protein per pound of BW.

3. Eat all the green veggie carbs you want (even on P+F meal), but eat starchy carbs only in the whole-food meal PWO. Example:

Meal 1 P+F
Meal 2 P+F
Meal 3 P+F
Meal 4 P+F
Weight Bearing Workout
Meal 1 P+C (Surge or Surge equivalent)
Meal 1 P+C (Starchy Carbs)

1. Use high glycemic carbs in a liquid drink while/after working out. Take in high glycemic carbs at no other time.

2. Avoid milk and milk products, even when bulking, unless you like that soft look.

3. Get in .5g of EFA per pound of BW.

4. If you really do tend to put on BF when bulking, slow down the process a bit (this is where the food log comes in) and do cardio, which is famous for postiviely influencing nutrient partitioning and increasing insulin sensitivity (a good thing).

5. Get a blood test to make sure T levels are at the high end of the range for your age. If not, take Tribex & M.

Those are my quick thoughts. Hopefully others will stop by with THEIR thoughts.

Pauly,

I’m kind of new to posting, so feel free to take my posr for what it’ sworth. One of the most consistent diet things you’ll find on this site is to eat either a protein § and fat (f)meal, or a protein § and carb ©meal, but not mixing all three together. For instance, your meal with the eggs and bacon on a roll. Well the eggs and bacon are p+f, but the roll throws carbs into the mix. To (over)simplify, you’ll get an insulin spike from the carbs, and yes it’ll shuttle the protein to muscle, but it’s also going to shuttle the fat to your gut. So to start off small, ditch the roll, replace it with oatmeal to go with your protein shake. Maybe a protein shake right before bed.

Side note, you didn’t mention any efa’s (essential fatty acids). If your not using them yet, look into some flax or fish oils. Maybe double check what your adding to your salad (ie. dressing).

Pauly, nice to see you do 6 meals although the spacing looks like you have some time issues spreading it out in middle.

Are you also time constrained at breakfast? If not, try to get some real food instead of a shake in there.

And the second meal of what looks like a egg mcmuffin isnt helping matters. Mixing carbs (roll) with the fat(egg/bacon) is a definite no no.

Like others said, ditch the rolls. Get some good fats in there, and put your protein + carb meals only at breakfast and around your workout.

“Avoid milk and milk products, even when bulking, unless you like that soft look.”

Do 6 cups of skim milk per day really make that much of a difference in the “soft look”? I’m referring to mixing your protein drink with milk.

How old are you?

5’11", 155lbs and no six-pack?

You need to start deadlifting, my friend, and eating a minimum of 1lb of animal flesh a day.

Go Terry! I miss your good advice around here! I’ve noticed you creeping back into it a little more and we are all benefitting because of it!

I don’t see why dairy is bad for fat loss, when timed properly…this “soft” look, is that from the sodium in dairy?

Another Q with the dairy … I’ve read everywhere that cottage cheese is a great prebedtime meal … especially when bulking. it is one of the staples in my diet … but you say that I shouldn’t be eating dairy even when bulking?

Dude, if thats what you eat then you’re taking in like 2,000 calories a day at the most.

Read the Massive Eating Parts 1 & 2 articles.

One thing that I’ve found helps me get in a lot of calories a day is try to get at least 2 meals each day which consist of 1,000 calories or more along with your other regular meals there.

Try focusing on eating every 2 hours.

Dude, if you’re one of the types that wants to get bigger but doesn’t like the look of a little fat in the abdominal area, then I’d suggest taking up something else like knitting or gardening.

TheManz:

Try doing a search on milk here on the forum. I’ve written extensively on the subject and why milk intake results in subcutanteous fat storage. Honestly, some people do fine with milk, but a lot of other “regular folk” don’t. Sometimes it’s due to allergies. In other cases it’s due to an inability to process lactose. But most commonly, it’s just physiology and biochemistry at work and how milk sugar is processed, utilized and stored.

A lot of body builders will eat cottage chesse and drink milk during most of the year, but in the 12 weeks or so before competition will cut it out. Anything that interferes with that shredded, ripped, dry look is avoided like the clergy avoid the devil. Also avoided is high fructose corn syrup and sugar, all for the same reason.

Cutting out milk is only worth considering if someone is experienceing a plateau in fat loss. And even then, it’s only ONE of the things that needs to be looked at and considered. Nothing in a vacuum, right? It’s all about experimenting and finding out what works for our unique metabolism.

RS, thank you!!! I’ve never stopped lurking; just been a bit light on posting. Within the last month or so I’ve really kicked things into gear and am putting serious time, energy and effort into achieving my own body composition goals (and keeping up with life). Not much left over.

Meat072, it boils down to whether you’re making progress or not. If you’re putting on muscle faster than fat mass while bulking, I wouldn’t worry about it.

And if you were cutting and losing fat mass faster than muscle, at an acceptable rate, once again, I’d keep on doing what I was doing.

If things are NOT going as you would like, then you need to look at what you’re currently doing and experiment.

ACDelco29, it’s not about sodium. Milk has a type of sugar called galactose. Lactose is made up of glucose + galactose. Galactose does not enter the Krebs cycle. It does not refill muscle glycogen stores (our goal when eating carbs). It will only refill liver glycogen stores. Along with maintaining blood sugar things (an okay thing), liver glycogen stores are responsible for food cravings (a not good thing).

What’s worse is that if liver glycogen is full (very often the case) and you take in galactose, it is converted to triglyceride and stored as subcutaneous fat.

So for each of you, drinking milk is a personal choice. If fat acquisition and storage are not a problem, I’d continue drinking milk. If fat management IS a problem for you, I’d give it some consideration and do further research on the topic.

Okee dokee:

Now let’s figure out a way to justify all that food. What have you been doing training-wise?

Another thing that’s going to help eliminate excess bodyfat, is the gain of LBM. Therefore, buddy: ya better be training. And training smart, heavy and allowing for proper recovery so that you can gain that all-important LBM.

And if you don’t know of a good program, there are quite a few available on this here website.