T Nation

Question/Request for Wise11

I recently read the book “Nourishing Traditions” and subsequently found the Weston Price website. Very intriguing stuff. I’ve always valued hard-nosed experience over studies and statistics. I’m interested in how this traditional way of eating translates into daily meals for weightlifting types.

You seem to be the foremost advocate on this board for the Weston Price school of nutritional thought. Would you mind posting an example of how you eat, day-to-day? Say, three days or so? Also, anyone else that eats in this way, what do your meal plans look like?

I’m interested to find out. Thanks

Mr. Larson

A shameless, self-interested BUMP.
Little interest for this thread, I guess?

[quote]Mr. Larson wrote:
I recently read the book “Nourishing Traditions” and subsequently found the Weston Price website. Very intriguing stuff. I’ve always valued hard-nosed experience over studies and statistics. I’m interested in how this traditional way of eating translates into daily meals for weightlifting types.

You seem to be the foremost advocate on this board for the Weston Price school of nutritional thought. Would you mind posting an example of how you eat, day-to-day? Say, three days or so? Also, anyone else that eats in this way, what do your meal plans look like?

I’m interested to find out. Thanks

Mr. Larson[/quote]

Well, I’m not wise11 (and most would probably say I’m not wise period.) Are you referring to the Weston Price Dietary Guidelines?
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/dietguidelines.html

What did you find intriguing about “Nourishing Traditions?”

Hey

I remember looking around on their site and finding a page where people gave examples of what they ate on a daily basis. Unfortunately I couldn’t find this today, the best I could do was this: http://www.westonaprice.org/transition/index.html

Shows you how to make the transition from eating processed shit to eating healthy whole foods.

Good luck

Orbitalboner, the page you are talking about is here…
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/boarddiets.html

However, the original poster I think was hoping for something a little more personalized for muscle building so, this may or maynot help. These people are aiming more for health then fitness/body composition.

Thanks for your responses, guys. I’m actually pretty familiar with the Weston Price website, and have read the “What We Eat” article. But, yeah, most of those people think of brisk walks and bouncing on a trampoline as “exercise.” I would really like to know how it works for a serious lifter or bodybuilder.

Well, “Nourishing Traditions” was intriguing to me because it rang true with a lot of other stuff I’ve read and experienced over the years-- including right here on T-mag. It also challenged almost everything about the “healthy” establishment-sanctioned diet we all grew up on. You know-- don’t eat butter, no eggs, no organ meats because they’re too “high fat” or “high cholesterol.” You’ll get heart disease or diabetes or whatever.

Instead, eat shit like margarine (which is basically plastic) and “fortified” white flour products. Munch on this carrot for vitamin A. Drink skim milk so you won’t get fat. Don’t eat so much red meat. This breakfast cereal will prevent heart disease. Funny how heart disease and diabetes have exploded since we started eating “healthy.”

“Primitive” cultures primarily ate such “lunatic” things as animal fats, raw dairy, lacto-fermented vegetables, etc for generations. Most of them had better teeth and bone structure than any of us. Anyone had a grandfather that drank whole milk, ate eggs and liver and cod liver oil nearly every damn day and lived well into his 90s or 100s?

I’m tired of all these double-blind, peer-reviewed, FDA-approved, university studies. They’re always changing their tune anyway-- first Vitamin C will save your life, then it will kill you? I would tend to believe some huge African tribesman in the jungle or a strong Polynesian dude (whose families ate real food for hundreds of years) over some pale, fat-ass guy in a white coat locked in a lab reading medical journals.

… OK, deep breath… Calm down.

Sorry for the (LONG) rant. Whatever you think about Weston Price’s viewpoints, it’s at least worth giving their nutritional ideas a little analysis. Even if you think it’s mostly bullshit, you might read one or two things that make you think. Combine it with Berardi’s recommendations or do your own thing.

BTW, OrbitalBoner, great avatar. I was a Ninja Turtles fanatic as a kid.

Here’s two typical days. Bear in mind it’s not a recommendation for any of you, just an account of what personally works best for me. If anyone takes issue w/ anything here, feel free to disregard it rather than turning this into another tiresome rant page. For the sake of allaying any outlandishly ridiculous suspicions that I might be promoting products (yes, I’ve heard it all), I’ve left out the brand names of the products I use, save for the Grow! which I’d imagine most of you are using anyway–No, I don’t work for Biotest. And for that matter I am not a dairy farmer or an owner of a coconut plantation in Thailand, given the liberal use of coconut milk in my diet. Furthermore, keep in mind that my diet does not strictly adhere to the WAPF tenets, so any of you more ardent followers of their principles needn’t tell me, I’ve been told. They discourage the use of protein powders, artificial sweeteners, soy derivatives (lecithin) i.e. stuff found in Grow! and coffee–all caffeinated beverages actually. My belief is that always using the protein supplements with fat will offset most of the negative effects associated with concentrated protein powders that the foundation speaks of. Besides, relying exclusively on whole food to maintain my protein needs would be extremely difficult. Also, my contention is that the minute quantities of sucralose and soy lecithin–which Dr. Mercola discourages as it is usually a derivative of GMO soy, will have a negligible effect on me given the healthfulness of the rest of my diet and my strong constitution. Lastly, a cup of Joe a day from what I hear boasts more benefits than any adverse effects.

Rise, drink 1 cup strong Turkish coffee (black)

Meal 1:
6 scrambled egg whites
6 raw yolks
2 pieces sprouted wheat/rye toast w/ 2 tbs. raw butter
1 orange

Meal 2:
1 scoop Grow! In 4oz. raw milk & 4oz coconut milk w/ cinnamon
1oz. raw cheese
1/4 cup walnuts or almonds

Meal 3:
1 can water packed tuna w/ 1tbs. unfiltered olive oil &juice of 1 lemon
1 cup brown rice& carrots

Meal 4:
1 scoop Grow! In 4oz. Coconut milk w/ cinnamon
1 cup frozen raspberries

–workout–

Meal 5:
2 scoops Grow! in 3oz. raw milk&3 oz. raw whey
(In food processor):2 boiled potatoes, 4 carrots 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Meal 6:
1 cup raw yogurt or kefir and 1 cup cottage cheese
1 Tbs. raw butter
1 Tbs. flax oil
1 Tbs. cod liver oil

Second day: Rise, drink 1 cup strong Turkish coffee (black)

Meal 1:
1.5 scoop Grow! in 4oz coconut milk w/ 3 raw egg yolks
1/4 cup walnuts or almonds
1 Tbs. flax oil
1 Tbs. cod liver oil

Meal 2:
4 soft boiled eggs
1 avocado

Meal 3:
Meat &rice salad (1/4-1//2 lb. Rare grass-fed ground beef, 1 cup short grain brown rice& 2 cups dark green lettuce mix)

Meal 4:
1 scoop Grow! in 8oz. raw milk, yogurt or kefir w/ cinnamon
1 cup frozen raspberries

–workout–

Meal 5:
2 scoops Grow! in 3oz. raw milk&3 oz. raw whey
(In food processor):2 boiled potatoes, 4 carrots & 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Meal 6:
1 cup raw yogurt or kefir and 1 cup cottage cheese
1 Tbs. raw butter
1 Tbs. flax oil
1 Tbs. cod liver oil

Supps:

B-complex
Acerola
ZMA
Alpha Lipoic Acid

On off days I usually make a point of omitting all dairy and eggs and rely on meats/poultry/fish (made as soup)along with oat groats or brown rice for my protein needs.

Wise,

Thanks for your reply. Glad to see how you do things. Some of your meals are quite similar to the ones I’ve been trying lately (breakfast almost identical). I had wondered where you stood on the protein powder issue, since WAPF seems to think it’s terrible (to say nothing of artificial sweeteners and soy lecithin, which they describe as industrial waste). For a lifter, though, it’s pretty hard to do without. I have mostly been “off” protein powders for a few weeks, and have struggled to get substantial protein from other sources. Still got some Grow! sitting around, though.

Also, do you eat things like liver or oysters on occasion? I’ve heard these were big for old school bodybuilders, and thought it was cool when I learned that predator animals eat the organs of their prey first-- that’s where the concentrated nutrition is.

One more thing, for anyone interested. I found some great old-time strongman stories and publications. I really enjoyed “THE SAXON TRIO: How they ate and how they trained.” Man, anyone would love to eat like that. A lot of the old school eating habits are covered in the “Splendid Specimens” article on the Weston Price site. Definitely worth checking out.

Wise: who’s that on your avatar? Almost looks like Pinochet… of course, no offense intended if it’s someone else.

Aw, man! Forgot to include the website where I found that article. It’s:

I would definitely like to see a good protein powder w/out the sucralose–either unsweetened or sweetened w/ stevia but like I said, in my opinion following an otherwise healthy diet somewhat compensates for this by making you strong enough to handle a little garbage. In the past I tried some unflavored/unsweetened protein powders (straight wheys),and mixed with whole raw milk and heavy cream to provide the missing casein and fat, they worked ok, but the Grow! still works somewhat better for me. I could make do with exclusively whole foods for protein, but that would mean dropping at least ten lbs. of muscle which I’d rather not do. I’ve gone without protein powder for 5 months and was able to maintain a lean 186 lbs. but I got sick of constantly eating whole foods, no matter how healthy they were. The issue of convenience is also something that’s tough to ignore these days. At any rate, I use protein powder only on my lifting days (4 days/week) and rely solely on whole foods on the other 3 days so it’s all about balance.

I eat things like oysters, kidneys and hearts on occasion but I try to eat beef or chicken liver at the very least once every two weeks. Broth however, I make a point to have every week, either chicken, duck, beef or fish–it’s without a doubt an absolute nutritional powerhouse that’s easy to make, tasty, economical and lasts. The expression-- I think it’s something to the effect of “good broth brings back the dead” is definitely well founded. Whenever my wife and I have visitors and we serve them broth, invariably they comment on how curiously good they feel following the meal. This is especially so if they’re the types that have been accustomed to eating processed junk like campbell’s “soup” all their lives.

The natural strength site is very interesting. A lot of fascinating insight into the unconventional training habits of the old time strong men. The nutrition section unfortunately seems to be dominated by mainstreamer Nancy Clark. The teachings of Vince Gironda would do the site a lot more justice, I think.

The man on my avatar is General Douglas Macarthur.