Question Regarding Sushi

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
bulldog24 wrote:
HK24719 wrote:

Btw, “More fish than rice is very rare and absolutely impossible in a California roll…” is a contradiction.

No, it isn’t. In light of my concern with brevity, I didn’t write a really long sentence, but I thought it was clear enough. In any case, here is a full thought: “In maki rolls, more fish than rice is very rare. This phenomenon has yet to be observed in a California roll due to the presence of other filler, such as cucumber and avocado.”

…because cucumber and avocado are soooo bad for you.[/quote]

your reading comprehension skills need some work. the issue is how much crab or imitation crab can actually get into a cali roll, not whether or not cucumber or avocado is bad for you

I tread sushi as a cheat meal. Sushami, or sushi without the rice, is an anytime i feel rich kind of thing, but would eat if for every meal if i could…maybe not every.

[quote]G87 wrote:
pgame20 wrote:
I tried being on the V-Diet and still accomplishing these, but it just wasnt working.

BTW, I don’t believe you. Need more info. And why would you think those workouts really burn 800-1000 calories?[/quote]

have you ever done fight training??, i read that a muay thai trainer would burn in excess of 800 cals per training.
I personally trained for my last fight for 2-3 hours 4 days a week , dropped 10 kgs of fat and only lost 0.5 kg of muscle.

Our work outs started with skipping intervals with push ups and crunches on and off for 15 mins, then we did pad work 8 -10 3 minute rounds with push ups and crunches .
Knee and punch drills non stop again for 8-10 rounds of 3 mins.

That was just a small snippet of my training , so ummm yeah you’d definately burn that many cals.
just for your information.

“only” 2-3 tbsp of sugar…
human body supposed to consume 20tsp/sugar per year!
and white rice has been mentioned above already

there is no “beliefs” in low-carb diet’s affect on fat, only practical facts and science, we call it biochemistry

[quote]annel wrote:

[/quote]

???
EDIT:
I eat more than this a week in my PWO shakes alone.

this is how our bodies were evolving for thousands of years and this amount was realistic only 200 years ago, what’s so surprising?

I don’t say it’s possible today, but I was just freaked out by word “only” considering 3 tbsp of sugar

[quote]annel wrote:
and white rice has been mentioned above already

there is no “beliefs” in low-carb diet’s affect on fat, only practical facts and science, we call it biochemistry[/quote]

Where is this notion of the human body consuming 20 tsp/sugar per year verified?

[quote]annel wrote:
this is how our bodies were evolving for thousands of years and this amount was realistic only 200 years ago, what’s so surprising?

I don’t say it’s possible today, but I was just freaked out by word “only” considering 3 tbsp of sugar
[/quote]

An apple has about a tablespoon or more of sugar. I think you are confused as to the “natural” sugar intake of man. Where did you here 20 tablespoons from?

Plus its 3 tablespoons in 6 cups of rice + water, further diluted with other ingredients like fish veggies est.

You would have to eat a ridiculous amount of sushi to get any appreciable amount of sugar.

not tablespoons, teaspoons :slight_smile:

apple doesn’t contain suchrose

-Сordain,L., et al.2005. Origins and evolution of the Western diet: Health implications for the 21st century. Am J Clin Nutr
-Sugar intake hit all-time high in 1999 | Center for Science in the Public Interest
-Hyman,M. The Ultramind Solution. Scribner

Sucrose is just glucose and fructose. And yes, it occurs in naturally in plants.

I agree that most people eat too much, but it is not toxic, or unatural to eat sugar. Sushi in no way has the same implications as drinking a coke or eating candy.

What you are describing is a Velocity Lite diet. Sushi as part of V-Lite diet is fine. Just make sure to know how many calories are in it (or approximation). White rice is not that bad at all (per Justin Harris at Troponin/Elite fitness.)

Sushi is fine (especially if you are Asian or come from genealogy that ate rice for a long time - per Poliquin).

[quote]hawaiilifterMike wrote:
White rice is not that bad at all, just ask Justin Harris at Troponin/Elite fitness. Sushi is fine (especially if you are Asian or come from genealogy that ate rice for a long time - ask Poliquin).[/quote]

If you ask the right person the right question, you will get the answer you’re looking for. It’s called confirmation bias. A better approach is to aggregate a bunch of opinions and see common themes.

Fwiw, I’m pretty sure if you asked Justin Harris if eating white rice neither before nor after a workout on a low-carb, fat-loss diet is a good idea (essentially the OP’s question), he probably would not give it the thumbs up.

I sorta agree with Poliquin’s theory of some people being better carb adapted, but it’s fair to assume that the OP is not one of these since he seems to think low-carb will be an effective way for him to lose weight.

[quote]annel wrote:

[/quote]

This is simply untrue.

[quote]bulldog24 wrote:
hawaiilifterMike wrote:
White rice is not that bad at all, just ask Justin Harris at Troponin/Elite fitness. Sushi is fine (especially if you are Asian or come from genealogy that ate rice for a long time - ask Poliquin).

If you ask the right person the right question, you will get the answer you’re looking for. It’s called confirmation bias. A better approach is to aggregate a bunch of opinions and see common themes.

Fwiw, I’m pretty sure if you asked Justin Harris if eating white rice neither before nor after a workout on a low-carb, fat-loss diet is a good idea (essentially the OP’s question), he probably would not give it the thumbs up.

I sorta agree with Poliquin’s theory of some people being better carb adapted, but it’s fair to assume that the OP is not one of these since he seems to think low-carb will be an effective way for him to lose weight.[/quote]

My bad, I did not read the OP’s question carefully - he did state “what are T-Nation’s thoughts on sushi in terms of mixing it into an otherwise very controlled and low-carb diet?”. Obviously his sushi consumption would have made his diet a moderate carb-diet, NOT low-carb as he wanted.

However, he is describing the Velocity Lite type of diet with his sushi and I still think if he eats under maintenance, he will have no problem losing 10 pounds.

After a narly training session there’s nothing wrong with 2-3 rolls with a plate of mixed sashimi post workout in my book. As for the guy saying that his rolls have less rice, m’kay. I’ve never encountered such a thing and I’ve had sushi as close to the source as possible without going to Japan. OP, I would place sushi in my PW meal due to the carb content. My two centavos

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
After a narly training session there’s nothing wrong with 2-3 rolls with a plate of mixed sashimi post workout in my book. As for the guy saying that his rolls have less rice, m’kay. I’ve never encountered such a thing and I’ve had sushi as close to the source as possible without going to Japan. OP, I would place sushi in my PW meal due to the carb content. My two centavos [/quote]

That sounds delicious… and expensive!

If you do the whole sushi thing PWO, do you just ignore a PWO shake and go straight to the sushi place?

Or do you do a PWO shake then a little later go get sushi?

PWO shakes tend to make me full for 45 minutes or so. But if I were to go straight to a sushi place after working out, with no shake, I could spend $100.