Question Regarding Rotator Cuff Rehab

I hurt my rotator about two weeks ago, and I took some gym time off, iced the shoulder and thought it might heal. It didn’t and rather than go to a doctor who will say “Ice it up and refrain from gym activity” I did a search.

My question is can I do this workout to help rehab an already existing injury, or should I continue to refrain from gym work?

here is the link

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459577

First, you should go to a doctor to have it looked at and diagnosed properly. It could be a variety of things. Best to know than make it worse. Trust me. My shoulder has gotten so bad that I finally had an MRI today. I’ll know what’s wrong tomorrow. In my case, it’s most likely a tear in the rotator cuff. But we shall see.

The exercises in that article are great. But they may or may not help you at this point. Get it checked out, and in addition to knowing what’s wrong, do those exercises to keep your rotator cuff strong and healthy.

That is a difficult question to answer without a thorough evaluation of the injury. Rotator cuff injuries vary greatly, from minor strains to complete ruptures and avulsions. To further complicate things, different muscle groups within the rotator cuff may be involved, i.e. supraspinatus injury vs. subscapularis injury, so the method of treatment can vary from simple intervention like rest and icing, to strengthening exercises, to surgical repair. It is also possible that other structures are involved instead of or in addition to the rotator cuff (bursa, capular, ligament, other tendons, etc).

Bottom line is that it doesn’t get better with rest and ice, to go have it checked out and procede accordingly.

[quote]superpimp wrote:
I hurt my rotator about two weeks ago, and I took some gym time off, iced the shoulder and thought it might heal. It didn’t and rather than go to a doctor who will say “Ice it up and refrain from gym activity” I did a search.

My question is can I do this workout to help rehab an already existing injury, or should I continue to refrain from gym work?

here is the link

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459577[/quote]

I am going through a shoulder injury right now, rather it is a pulled pec tendon where it attaches to the top of the upper arm. Today I was told I need to get it scanned to look for any other injuries - possibly a tear…

In the past I have dislocated this shoulder twice. So my experiences have not been good.

First and foremost - see a sports med doctor. Yes they will likely tell you to keep icing it but hopefully they will examine you more closely - if not get another doc.

In my situation I was told to lay off training for a few weeks until the swelling went down, then I started physio and slowly began ART, stretching and strengthening work. My range of motion and strength has come back but am still dealing with a sharp pain when working my shoulder.

That article looks great and I will definately start doing these once I get back 100% but I think that if you have really pooched your shoulder I would get a doc’s opinion first before trying these. Maybe print the article and take it with you.

I would first like to know how you hurt your shoulder. Did it happen all at once, or come on gradually?

Do you have full range of motion? If you do not, how much ROM do you have?

The shoulder is a complicated joint. I would suggest going to your doctor before you experience further complications.

I’ll speak for Eric here: I’m not sure if he states it in the article or not, but at several points in time he stated that this routine is for PREHABILITATION, not rehab purposes.

If that’s the best your doc can do, find someone who will give you a better examination, perform soft tissue work, and then start rehabbing the injury. Unless you tore something or sprained something very badly, you can at least do some light recovery work assuming that the swelling and inflammation are gone.

Stay strong
Mike

Sorry, I thought you saw a doc already…my bad.

You can still follow the advice of finding someone to check it out, give you a diagnosis, and then you can put together a battle plan to rehab the injury. Go to a solid PT or chiro, not just a general practitioner.

Stay strong
Mike

Sorry folks I didn’t give enough info. I have full range of motion I can move my shoulder up and down around whatever, my problem is I can’t do pullups at all, the shoulder feels like its burning and is tender to the touch.