Question regarding nutrition labels/ingredients

My understanding of the “ingredients” list on a food label is that the item that is most plentiful (if that’s the right word for it) within the product must be listed first. So, for example, natual peanut butter says “peanuts, salt”.

Does anyone know if that is by weight or volume or what? I’m not sure it matters all that much, but it’s something I’ve wondered about.

Tyler

Actually your “understanding” isn’t complete. If you ever look at a protein powder and there’s an ingredient like “ProteinMaxGain™ (Whey Protein Isolate, CFM Whey Protein, Whey Protein Concentrate)” they’re trying to fool you. A company can put together a bunch of ingredients and make it a “formula” and patent (this might not be the right word) it. When they do this, they are allowed to list the ingredients in any order you which. So in fact, your ProteinMaxGain™ may contain 20g Concentrate, 1g Isolate, 1g CFM. Obviously this would be an inferior blend to what they would have you believe you are really getting. I believe this was talked about in T-mag’s “Dirty Tricks” article. Correct me if I’m wrong anyone.

All the resources I’ve seen say weight. The ingredients that weight the most are first and so on.