T Nation

Question Regarding 1 Rep Max

I have a question regarding strength training. Correct me if I'm wrong but your 1 rep max is the most you can do with correct form or is it the most weight you can push/pull regardless of correct form. Because I have noticed when I squat heavy, >95% of 1 rm, I notice that my technique (form) goes out the window.

[quote]mkk713 wrote:
I have a question regarding strength training. Correct me if I’m wrong but your 1 rep max is the most you can do with correct form or is it the most weight you can push/pull regardless of correct form. Because I have noticed when I squat heavy, >95% of 1 rm, I notice that my technique (form) goes out the window. [/quote]

I divide 1RM into 2 categories:

1. Personal Best (PB): This is the most an individual will lift with proper form and that is repeatable. While you wont be able to hit it all the time, it’s a weight you should be able to lift at least once a week if you tried. Could also be seen as “the best you can do”.

2. Personal Record (PR): This is the most you ever lifted on a movement. Sometimes it is done with some form breakdown and it is also sometimes a freak occurrence (happened to be one of those great days). Because of these two factors, a PR is not as repeatable as a PB… it’s something that you hit once but might have to wait a while to be able to hit again.

When I design programs I prefer to use the personal best as a measure. The PR is mostly for bragging rights.

To continue on what I said earlier. When using your PR as your basis of comparison you might use too much weight in training which will hurt your normal progression and it can also make you believe that you aren’t progressing as fast both because as PR or a max lift done with technique breakdown is much less stable (hit and miss). So you might not be able to beat it before a while even though you are progressing. That can be a mental put down.

Hey CT,

I wonder if you can help me out. I am looking for a good lifting program that will make me stronger and explosive without losing my flexibility. I don’t want to get bigger just stronger for Jiu Jitsu. I work as a Physical Education teacher for a high school so I have access to weights. I was thinking about starting the 54321 program but would like to know what you think.

Thanks in advance,
Moon