Question on Russian Bear by Pavel Tsatsouline.

Hi

I’ve got a question concerning this particular routine.

The text states:

"Here’s how it works: Start off by doing a hard set of five on an exercise. Don’t pick your five-rep max. Pick a weight that you could do six to seven times with good form and stop at five reps.

Wait five minutes after the first set and do another set of five with 90% of the first set. After that set, wait 30-60 seconds and do a set of 5 with 80% of the first set. Keep doing sets of five with 80% of the first set and take one-minute breaks between each set. When you can no longer do five reps with good form, call it a day. This may happen after four sets or as many as fifteen. It really varies with the individual.

Monday

A-1: Military Press
A-2: Pull-up
B-1: Deadlift

Wednesday

A-1: Bench Press
A-2: Bent-over row
B-1: Squat
"

but then

“Alternate between the two workouts each time. Each workout is a full body workout that hits all of the major muscle groups. Do A-1 and A-2 in antagonistic fashion. Take two-minute breaks between the first two sets of each exercise and thirty second breaks between the working sets with 80% of the first set. On B-1 follow the program as stated previously. Take two days off for every three workouts that you do.”

So i do, for instance;

Military press 100%
5 min break
Pull ups 100%
5 min break
Military press 90%
45 sec break / or maybe two minute break in this place?
Pull ups 90%
45 sec break / again, two minute break?
Military press 80%
1 min break
Pull ups 80%
1 min break
Military press 80%

and so on?

Am i right?

Cheers.

idk, but it sounds kinda silly to me

i think its not well written, but i think that i figured it out finally… needed some booze to realize that it probably should look like this:

Military press 100%
2 min break
Pull ups 100%
2 min break
Military press 90%
2 min break
Pull ups 90%
30 sec break
Military press 80%
30 sec break
Pull ups 80%
30 sec break
Military press 80%

Scrap this,dude.

Save yourself the headache and pick up something more straight forward.

Um, FST-7…

dude, that program you have written is not pavel’s bear program.

its from here, its the russian bear combined with pavel’s/mahler’s advice on volume. if i remember correctly, pavel came up with this particular volume idea in one of his books. volume looks pretty much like created for strictly powerlifting purposes but might be a fine alternative to the GVT which is insane and pointless for guys with inadequate muscle fiber type (slow twitch).

but i agree its definitely not how bear was composed at first glance.

[quote]graforlock wrote:

its from here, its the russian bear combined with pavel’s/mahler’s advice on volume. if i remember correctly, pavel came up with this particular volume idea in one of his books. volume looks pretty much like created for strictly powerlifting purposes but might be a fine alternative to the GVT which is insane and pointless for guys with inadequate muscle fiber type (slow twitch).

but i agree its definitely not how bear was composed at first glance.[/quote]

Go get a copy of Power To The People by Pavel. Study the original Bear program and follow that to the letter for 6 weeks and then consider doing what Mahler suggested if you feel you need it.