Question on Quads

[quote]Kal-El wrote:
Try doing leg extentions with your toes pointed out. This will put most of the tension on the inner thigh area. Same as for turning toes in , this will engage the outter quad.

Same thing for squatting, change the direction of your feet to hit different areas. Good luck!![/quote]

I think you mean toes pointed upwards on leg extensions. Not outwards.

Hack squats and front squats recruit the VMO heavily

[quote]waltny wrote:
Quick question…

If you have a physical problem which wont allow you to do deep squats or most any exercise that takes the knee past 90 degrees under load to “optimally” stress the VMO, what else can you do? Save for the TKE’s?[/quote]

If it’s a flexibility problem then read “Get Your Butt in Gear I&II” by cressey and robertson.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
waltny wrote:
Quick question…

If you have a physical problem which wont allow you to do deep squats or most any exercise that takes the knee past 90 degrees under load to “optimally” stress the VMO, what else can you do? Save for the TKE’s?

If it’s a flexibility problem then read “Get Your Butt in Gear I&II” by cressey and robertson.[/quote]

At this point I cant pinpoint the problem. I had trigger points in the VMO, Vastus Laterus, and IT band which Im guessing caused my patella to track incorrectly for a while and caused swelling and fuild under the patella. The trigger points are taken care of now, and I roll on my SMR roller but I am still having problems when the I squat under load taking the knee past 90 degrees. I am able to do box squats, deadlifts(sumo style to keep the knee at 90), bodyweight squats and sprints. I am doing my stretches and rolling so all I can do now is shrug my shoulders as in who knows and just keep on keeping on.

I have had a MRI in the past year and a recent Xray with nothing remarkable except some fuild under the patella.

single leg 1 1/4 squats. All the way down, 1/4 way up, back down, all the way up. That’s 1 rep. I like it because with the the unused thigh up, I can visually track the knee using it and a line I stand on.

if you are talking about the inner thigh, then single leg exercises are the best. The stability required for single leg exercieses places stress on the inner thigh more then any other lift.

heavy lunges are fun too…do them with split squats