T Nation

Question on Hip Biomechanics

Not sure which would be the best forum to post this, but figured it might be here. I'm reading up on the musculature of the hips and pelvis, and the effects certain muscles have on the positioning of the pelvis and of the femur- my question relates to the correct terminology for particular movements of the femur.

To elaborate, when I stand and turn my thigh so that my kneecap turns out the way (away from my midline) is my femur rotating internally or externally? Is it a case of opposites, i.e. thigh turns outwards, causing the femur to internally rotate and vice-versa? Or is it a mutual thing, i.e. thigh turns outwards, causing the femur to externally rotate? Just to clear things up for my own understanding...

Femur rotates outward (patella facing outward or laterally) is external rotation. Femur rotates inward is internal rotation. Thigh moves with the femur. if you really want to confuse yourself look up femoral anteversion.

See, that's what I had assumed, but if you go to the first subject assessed in the Neanderthal No More series (http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/neanderthal_no_more_iii) it states that his knees are turned out to compensate for internally rotated femurs. I had thought that a 'kneecaps out' appearance would result from externally rotated femurs, not internally rotated ones.

Yeah, that part's confusing. I think in the article they're talking actual movement of the kneecap out, relative to the femur and tibia.

its talking about a developmental adaptation of the femur having intrinsic rotation of the bone which is developed between the ages of 2-6. basically your femur starts straight and turns as you grown, because as you learn to walk you need it to rotate

I didn't read the article, I'm just assuming its speaking of "femoral torsion" by the way you wrote it