Question on Eating Halal

I have a friend coming over to visit me, we used to work together and the cafeteria we ate at was Halal, never really went eating outside that, but anyways yeh I haven’t seen him in a long time and he’s never been to this city so I was planning on giving him the grand tour of my favorite restaraunts here and what not… then after I had planned Brazillian BBQ, Greek food, ect… I realized… Halal. :confused: Which kinda throws a wrench in the plans. I don’t want to insult him, I know he is religious and probably won’t be willing to eat non-halal food.

Is it rude if I ask him if non-halal is ok? if he says he must eat halal, what type of places should I look for? Can he eat non-meat dishes that aren’t halal?

From a muslim point of view, if I just plan to eat at a bunch of middle eastern restaraunts, will he be insulted? Kind of like if I went to Egypt, I wouldn’t want my host to take me to mcdonalds, burgerking and kfc.

He’s a friend?

Just ASK him.

You come here and ask complete strangers for advice when your answer should come straight from the horse’s mouth.

[quote]skank wrote:
I have a friend coming over to visit me, we used to work together and the cafeteria we ate at was Halal, never really went eating outside that, but anyways yeh I haven’t seen him in a long time and he’s never been to this city so I was planning on giving him the grand tour of my favorite restaraunts here and what not… then after I had planned Brazillian BBQ, Greek food, ect… I realized… Halal. :confused: Which kinda throws a wrench in the plans. I don’t want to insult him, I know he is religious and probably won’t be willing to eat non-halal food.

Is it rude if I ask him if non-halal is ok? if he says he must eat halal, what type of places should I look for? Can he eat non-meat dishes that aren’t halal?

From a muslim point of view, if I just plan to eat at a bunch of middle eastern restaraunts, will he be insulted? Kind of like if I went to Egypt, I wouldn’t want my host to take me to mcdonalds, burgerking and kfc. [/quote]

I find it starnge that you would asks strangers on the internet how we think your friend will respond to your suggestions about what he eats. Why not just ask him and cut out the middle man. OR… If you really want my advice.

Feed him texas BBQ, A super italian Pasta feast, Get him some Soul food from the soul, like some Louisiana Gumbo and a Po Boy, Take him to a Japanese Hibatchi Steakhouse (my personal favorite), And then if you are in a city, spend a night on street vendor food. Pizza and dogs in NY, Philly cheesteaks in Philly, etc… Like you said, If I go to another country, I don’t want to eat hamburgers all day long.

Also I have no Idea what Halal means.

V

Yeah, he must be used to it. Just ask him where he can eat.

Or…apples on a park bench. That always works.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
He’s a friend?

Just ASK him.

You come here and ask complete strangers for advice when your answer should come straight from the horse’s mouth. [/quote]

That makes way to much sense.

I’m not asking you. Did nobody read the title of the thread? MUSLIM brothers… are you muslim? no. …

wait a sec I just noticed the Topic was changed… I was asking specifically for muslim members to respond but… It appears a moderator didn’t like my title and changed it.

This guy has lived his entire life in Turkmenistan, I am the only western person he has ever met, I’m not talking about some guy that lived half his life in new york and just picks the pepperoni off his pizza. Different place have different cultures, and some would think its rude even asking a question like this. I’m trying to make sure of that before I ask him.

[quote]Vegita wrote:

V[/quote]

Well “Halal” me to translate.

In English it means “Put it in her butt.”

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]Vegita wrote:

V[/quote]

Well “Halal” me to translate.

In English it means “Put it in her butt.”[/quote]

So skank is a chick and wondering if this muslim dude will be allright with her offering for him to put it in her butt?

Skank, Any man will accept that offer, also if you make him a sammich after he may ask you to marry him. Cultural differences be damned, this is universal amongst men. Sorry I misunderstood your question at first. SS is my forum wingman and makes sure I understand things clearly because I’m half retarded.

V

[quote]skank wrote:

From a muslim point of view, if I just plan to eat at a bunch of middle eastern restaraunts, will he be insulted? Kind of like if I went to Egypt, I wouldn’t want my host to take me to mcdonalds, burgerking and kfc. [/quote]

Not all Muslims eat according the law. Ask him if he follows the Quaranic Dietary laws and man up.

[quote]skank wrote:

I obviously cannot answer you from a muslim point of view, but I keep kosher, which makes halal look amatuer.

He won’t be insulted, and there are many options.

Halal is limited (I understand) to meat, and possibly even just mammals. So chicken and fish or vegitarian is OK. No pork, obviously.

As an aside (and this comes up more in the Middle East), Christians, according to their Book of Acts of the Apostles (? again, not my area), are forbidden to eat meat that was sacrificed to an idol. Halal butchery contain ritual slaughter that is essentially a sacrifice of the animal to “Allah,” which most Christian authorities consider a false god, and thus an idol.

Assuming you are a Christian and follow your texts, meat (beef or other mammals sacrificed halal) would be forbidden to you by your religion.

In short, I suspect you guys will eat a lot of fish and probably chicken.

What, you’ve never been to a foreign country and someone has asked you a blatantly rude question, but you’ve remained civil because you realise that other people just have different cultural standards of what is polite and impolite?

I think it’s far worse to ignore the fact that he eats halal and try to get away with it than just acknowledging that, indeed, he eats differently than you do. And then asking him. Just be like “Hey I’m ignorant. What do you want to eat?”. Or make a joke about American food or some shit.

[quote]skank wrote:
I’m not asking you. Did nobody read the title of the thread? MUSLIM brothers… are you muslim? no. …

[/quote]

“Question on Eating Halal” - that’s the title of the thread. I see nothing about Muslim brothers.

Maybe the mods changed it on you?

Muslims are allowed to eat non-Halal food when there’s nothing else available.

Loophole FTW.

My shiite friends who would only eat halal had no issues with eating anything vegetarian. So Greek etc, just stay away from the meat and it should be fine. The only way to guarantee halal is if you buy the meat directly from the butcher.

If you can’t find halal food, most Muslims would accept Kosher.

The only difference between Kosher and Halal is that before the animal is slaughtered… in Halal they say “Bismillah” (in the name of God…).

And Vicomte and dianab bring up good points as well.

My wife is Muslim. I know this stuff.

[quote]skank wrote:

wait a sec I just noticed the Topic was changed… I was asking specifically for muslim members to respond but… It appears a moderator didn’t like my title and changed it. [/quote]

And just as a note…

this kind of attitude is partly what gives us “Muslims” a bad rep.

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:

[quote]skank wrote:

wait a sec I just noticed the Topic was changed… I was asking specifically for muslim members to respond but… It appears a moderator didn’t like my title and changed it. [/quote]

And just as a note…

this kind of attitude is partly what gives us “Muslims” a bad rep.
[/quote]

LOL. Yes, it’s definitely the lack of internet etiquette that give Muslims a bad rep.

I may not be Muslim, but I consider every man on T-Nation to be my brother (that includes HH… but only loosely. lol)

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

LOL. Yes, it’s definitely the lack of internet etiquette that give Muslims a bad rep.[/quote]

Haha. I’m just saying… that attitude on the internet or in real life is what turns alot of people off…

combined with the other obvious stuff. Most Muslims don’t really ‘help’ the reputation they have…

that is all I saying… ah.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I may not be Muslim, but I consider every man on T-Nation to be my brother (that includes HH… but only loosely. lol)
[/quote]

That’s what I’m talking about. If Muslims were not so ethnocentric… I think the image of American Muslims might improve…

a brother does not just have to be a fellow ‘muslim’ to be a brother in my mind…