Question on Deload weeks

Been doing 5/3/1 for several months with the original 3 weeks on, 4th week deload setup. I follow the original percent recommendations for main work on my deloads, but usually do some extra sets at under 60% for technique practice. For assistance I more or less go by feel, keep it light, get a mild pump, and don’t go anywhere near failure. Currently training 4 days/ week with (usually) a 5th day of conditioning, both on “on” weeks and my deload week.

My questions is that since I’m currently training for my first powerlifting competition and want to get some more technique work in, would it be a good idea to set up my deload weeks as follows:
Train 3 days (M/W/F) with each day consisting of the same or very similar workouts. Each workout would be Squat, Bench, Deads following the original deload week percentages with 2 FSL sets for a total of 5 sets each. Then I’d finish up with some rows or pulldowns and maybe some arm pump work or shoulder prehab stuff if I felt like it. I would make no changes to my “on” weeks.

Does anyone have any experience deloading like this, or if not, do you more experienced guys think it’s a good idea or bad idea?

If you have a copy of the “Beyond” book, there are specific percentages and sets that you can use to experience heavier weights or more reps during the deload.

Also, have you tried the 6 weeks on (back-to-back cycles), 7th week deload, as described in the “Beyond” book? A lot of people on this forum seem to have had success with that method. (Not sure if you’re already doing this, but this would basically allow you to cut out some deloads altogether before your meet.)

[quote]tmiller197431 wrote:
If you have a copy of the “Beyond” book, there are specific percentages and sets that you can use to experience heavier weights or more reps during the deload.

Also, have you tried the 6 weeks on (back-to-back cycles), 7th week deload, as described in the “Beyond” book? A lot of people on this forum seem to have had success with that method. (Not sure if you’re already doing this, but this would basically allow you to cut out some deloads altogether before your meet.)[/quote]

I’ve seen the chart but haven’t played around with using different percentages yet. Right now I’m looking for a way to increase frequency and weekly volume of the main lifts during my deload week while keeping intensity low.

Haven’t done a 6 week cycle yet but I’m planning on trying that on my next one. I wanted a few months of experience with the 3 week cycle so I have something to compare the 6 week cycle against.

Training isn’t a final exam or pre-marriage crash diet. That seems to be the prevailing attitude these days.

Stick to the program. If you are doing the 6 week blocks as shown, and train consistently, and stregnthen any of the Weak Point areas I pointed out, you will be as successful as possible. But you cannot cram for success.

Which weak points did you point out?