T Nation

Question on Deload/5x5

Hi folks… I Trouble understanding the “deload” week. I read that during your deload week you lower the weight to about 50-60% and that you work on technique,flexibility, etc. Now lets say i have been doing 5x5 workout for awhile and during my deload week i would lower my working sets to 50-60% and do the 5x5 workout? During your deload week should i do the same workout with lighter weights or was the purpose of the deload week more on flexibility and doing different assistance exercises?

1. Next question on the 5x5 workout. For the 5x5 workout should all 5 sets be the same weight? or should they be a little higher each set? I read that you should add 5 lbs per week or session but i was not sure if the weights are the same for every set.
    Thanks!

I may be wrong here, so don’t give me 100% on this. I used to do 5x5 with a lot of success and I used the same weight for every set one week then went up 5-10 the next week, I usually only increased weight if i completed the full 5x5 and as far as deload, i believe that the idea is to slow it down and make sure you are still considering the main points of the exercise. If you are doing your reps correctly and what not, making sure that the increase in weight isn’t creating bad habits and making you take time to check that you are doing things right. An injury can set you back big time, so you want to make sure to hit it just right.

[quote]Damron1474 wrote:
I may be wrong here, so don’t give me 100% on this. I used to do 5x5 with a lot of success and I used the same weight for every set one week then went up 5-10 the next week, I usually only increased weight if i completed the full 5x5 and as far as deload, i believe that the idea is to slow it down and make sure you are still considering the main points of the exercise. If you are doing your reps correctly and what not, making sure that the increase in weight isn’t creating bad habits and making you take time to check that you are doing things right. An injury can set you back big time, so you want to make sure to hit it just right.[/quote]

Thanks bro

No prob